The Student Room Group

I've been interviewed at both Cambridge and Oxford, AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aubergine7
What did you get as GCSE and AS if you don't mind me asking? What was your offer from Cambridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile

At GCSE I got 7A*s (inc. English, Maths, Science, German) and 4 As; at AS I got 3 As in English Lit, Maths, German, and a very high B (3 marks off an A) in Chemistry. Across my three best (and fortunately most relevant) I had a UMS average of around 93% so don't let a B put you off, especially if it's not far from an A.

My offer was A*AA for straight Law (they don't offer the language year at point of entry, it's something you apply for after attending) and I got 3As :frown:

Are you thinking of applying?? If so good luck :biggrin: Don't take anything I say as the golden rule because stuff changes and I could well have been an anomaly with my grades!
Original post by Thorsas
I got 93% in phys and maths and that was enough for interview apparently! And you're right about the resit thing they'll catch on (plus IIRC there is a section of the SAQ to explain?)

The Cambridge NatSci interview (to me) was more like discussing a problem with your interviewers and working through it with them, almost as if you're explaining it to them (badly ;P). It's not really something I could have prepared for that much in hindsight. At least, the preparation I did - a few Oxford PAT questions and Physics Olympiad things and stuff - didn't really help too much except to calm my nerves and provide confidence which I do think is important. I'm not saying don't prepare, because it does help, but also don't kill yourself.

Haven't done Oxford but a friend did (for Physics) and it seemed a lot more testing your raw mathematics ability rather than how well you understand a concept and how you communicate that. Can't comment beyond that as I've no experience.

Oh right thank you! What college was that for? Because I know apparently there aren't any colleges that are easier to get into, but after doing research and getting statistics, the percentage of applicants that are accepted varies from 13%-49%... So I want to give myself the best chances possible

But yeah I had that impression of the interviews at Oxford, they're very mathematical and I'm worried that without FM full A level I wouldn't be as strong of a candidate.

But thank you very much, what kind of questions did you get?
Reply 22
Original post by RonnieRJ
Oh right thank you! What college was that for? Because I know apparently there aren't any colleges that are easier to get into, but after doing research and getting statistics, the percentage of applicants that are accepted varies from 13%-49%... So I want to give myself the best chances possible

But yeah I had that impression of the interviews at Oxford, they're very mathematical and I'm worried that without FM full A level I wouldn't be as strong of a candidate.

But thank you very much, what kind of questions did you get?

This was Magdalene. The colleges with lower % acceptance just have more people applying, and they have a higher % pooled to compensate though there is still some discrepancy I believe yes. I do think college choice is important so that you feel good about where you're being interviewed.

Well I sat an entrance test that was just loads of really (really!) tough maths and physics questions...I think I attempted 10/50 and had a good answer for like 4/50. Just being on top of A Level maths and physics was all that could have helped. Never seen questions like them before or since.

My interviews there were graph sketching questions and then these ones that were more like presenting a situation and working stuff out about it, like how the mechanics of ice skating works. It wasn't really a direct question I'm sorry to say, more of a discussion, so I can't describe it.
Original post by voodoo_child
At GCSE I got 7A*s (inc. English, Maths, Science, German) and 4 As; at AS I got 3 As in English Lit, Maths, German, and a very high B (3 marks off an A) in Chemistry. Across my three best (and fortunately most relevant) I had a UMS average of around 93% so don't let a B put you off, especially if it's not far from an A.

My offer was A*AA for straight Law (they don't offer the language year at point of entry, it's something you apply for after attending) and I got 3As :frown:

Are you thinking of applying?? If so good luck :biggrin: Don't take anything I say as the golden rule because stuff changes and I could well have been an anomaly with my grades!

well I got 7A*s and 3As at GCSE and 4 As at AS, thinking of dropping one so would carry 3 to A2... I really want to apply to oxbridge (for straight law), and was originally thinking oxford over cambridge, but now I'm thinking I stand a better chance applying to cambridge over oxford, what do you think? :smile:
Original post by Thorsas
This was Magdalene. The colleges with lower % acceptance just have more people applying, and they have a higher % pooled to compensate though there is still some discrepancy I believe yes. I do think college choice is important so that you feel good about where you're being interviewed.

Well I sat an entrance test that was just loads of really (really!) tough maths and physics questions...I think I attempted 10/50 and had a good answer for like 4/50. Just being on top of A Level maths and physics was all that could have helped. Never seen questions like them before or since.

My interviews there were graph sketching questions and then these ones that were more like presenting a situation and working stuff out about it, like how the mechanics of ice skating works. It wasn't really a direct question I'm sorry to say, more of a discussion, so I can't describe it.

Yes! Thought so, Magdalene is the one I'm looking at after some research :smile: but yes, however even then instead of 5 applicants per place you're only competing with one other person for the place :smile:
But oh god I see :/ I should really get my maths as good as possible then! We're the interview questions something like x/sinx? :/ and thank you btw!
Reply 25
Yes! Thought so, Magdalene is the one I'm looking at after some research :smile: but yes, however even then instead of 5 applicants per place you're only competing with one other person for the place :smile:
But oh god I see :/ I should really get my maths as good as possible then! We're the interview questions something like x/sinx? :/ and thank you btw!

Yeah the graphs are ones like that. There's not much they can do to vary it up. Just testing with how you deal with infinities and stuff.

Yes I think from UK applicants Magdalene gave about 20 offers from 65 applicants or something so in terms of pure odds it's higher chance but then maybe Magdalene just got strong applicants ;P Apparently the pooling system does do a very good job of ensuring the right people get the places regardless of college choice. I'm not sure, because I got a place, but then I didn't get pooled ^^

I've only been to Magdalene for 2 days and none of the other colleges but I can assure you Magdalene is the best one and you should go there!
(edited 8 years ago)
Magdalene alumnus here. Will field questions if wanted.
Original post by aubergine7
well I got 7A*s and 3As at GCSE and 4 As at AS, thinking of dropping one so would carry 3 to A2... I really want to apply to oxbridge (for straight law), and was originally thinking oxford over cambridge, but now I'm thinking I stand a better chance applying to cambridge over oxford, what do you think? :smile:

NB: I am not an authority on this at all! Just offering personal experience

All of your grades are great, for either uni. Just bear in mind that Oxford requires the LNAT, which is another thing that put me off it originally, as I wasn't too confident about my chances. And you can't really tell just from grades!

Have you visited, and if so, which one did you like more as a place? I think your feel for a place really affects your performance in interview and your general motivation.

Also, while the courses are largely the same everywhere (because of accreditation bla bla bla) I think there are some differences between them, like Oxford's course is called Jurisprudence. Is there anything that you prefer from either of the courses?

To summarise though, you stand in good stead to apply to either, and it all just depends on a variety of factors. Well done on your AS and good luck :smile:
Original post by Thorsas
Yeah the graphs are ones like that. There's not much they can do to vary it up. Just testing with how you deal with infinities and stuff.

Yes I think from UK applicants Magdalene gave about 20 offers from 65 applicants or something so in terms of pure odds it's higher chance but then maybe Magdalene just got strong applicants ;P Apparently the pooling system does do a very good job of ensuring the right people get the places regardless of college choice. I'm not sure, because I got a place, but then I didn't get pooled ^^

I've only been to Magdalene for 2 days and none of the other colleges but I can assure you Magdalene is the best one and you should go there!

Oh right, so did you not decide to go? Or are you going this October? Yeah I like the look of it too so I think it'll be my choice, hopefully

But oh right, yeah I'll try to familiarise myself with that then to help me in the interview. I don't think I'll be too nervous because I'll calm myself it's just the matter of panic if I haven't got a clue what's going on :/
Reply 29
Oh right, so did you not decide to go? Or are you going this October? Yeah I like the look of it too so I think it'll be my choice, hopefully

But oh right, yeah I'll try to familiarise myself with that then to help me in the interview. I don't think I'll be too nervous because I'll calm myself it's just the matter of panic if I haven't got a clue what's going on :/

Going this October :h:

Once I got in there I didn't feel nervous. Must've got quite an adrenaline hit though because the half hour or whatever it was felt like 3 minutes you know? ;P

Good luck!
Original post by Thorsas
Going this October :h:

Once I got in there I didn't feel nervous. Must've got quite an adrenaline hit though because the half hour or whatever it was felt like 3 minutes you know? ;P

Good luck!

Yeah I guess that's what will happen! Well if all goes well I'll see you next October at magdalenes! :smile:
Reply 31
Yeah I guess that's what will happen! Well if all goes well I'll see you next October at magdalenes! :smile:

Yeah hit me up if you do end up going!
Original post by Thorsas
Yeah hit me up if you do end up going!

Yep will do thanks so much!!
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Magdalene alumnus here. Will field questions if wanted.

Hi! I went to visit colleges at Oxford a few weeks ago but Magdalen was one of the few that offer my course (Arch and Anth) which I didn't get to. I've heard it called the "posh people's college" and, well, it's got a deer park so I feel like that might be accurate... is it? To what extent does it really matter? I've researched all the colleges so much (I mainly want access to a kitchen because I'm vegan and don't want to throw myself on the mercy of provided catering) and I know plenty about their stats but there's no easy way to find out about the college cultures, you know?
Original post by AithyTilly
Hi! I went to visit colleges at Oxford a few weeks ago but Magdalen was one of the few that offer my course (Arch and Anth) which I didn't get to. I've heard it called the "posh people's college" and, well, it's got a deer park so I feel like that might be accurate... is it? To what extent does it really matter? I've researched all the colleges so much (I mainly want access to a kitchen because I'm vegan and don't want to throw myself on the mercy of provided catering) and I know plenty about their stats but there's no easy way to find out about the college cultures, you know?

Sorry, wrong Magdalen -- I went to Magdalene with an e, which is Cambridge.

I would say in my experience that there is some degree of truth to the rumours about who attends particular colleges, but most people end up getting on fine anyway. So, whilst we're not the 'rich college' at Cambridge, we do have a bit of a 'traditional' reputation (so we have one of the highest private school attendance percentages: see http://thetab.com/uk/cambridge/2015/03/02/how-private-is-your-college-47768) but we had people from quite working class backgrounds as well and everyone seemed to get along fine with everyone else. So it doesn't seem to me to matter generally to others. I can't promise it won't matter to you, though, obviously.

Sorry I can't be of more help :smile:
Was it very difficult to deal with not getting an Oxford offer after missing your Cambridge offer? Did you feel as if your gap year had gone to waste?
I'm asking because I have missed my Cambridge offer and I'm now considering applying to Oxford next year.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Sorry, wrong Magdalen -- I went to Magdalene with an e, which is Cambridge.

I would say in my experience that there is some degree of truth to the rumours about who attends particular colleges, but most people end up getting on fine anyway. So, whilst we're not the 'rich college' at Cambridge, we do have a bit of a 'traditional' reputation (so we have one of the highest private school attendance percentages: see http://thetab.com/uk/cambridge/2015/03/02/how-private-is-your-college-47768) but we had people from quite working class backgrounds as well and everyone seemed to get along fine with everyone else. So it doesn't seem to me to matter generally to others. I can't promise it won't matter to you, though, obviously.

Sorry I can't be of more help :smile:

Oops sorry, thank you for trying anyway! I hadn't thought of looking at private school attendance rates. I suppose the posh people thing doesn't really matter to me, but if there was for instance a college with a strong neo-Nazi tradition (this is obviously a hyperbolic example hahaha) I probably wouldn't want to go there, but I wouldn't know until it was too late.
I was kind of expecting that answer. I generally feel that Oxford is a little more "stiff" than Cambridge

Not sure what you mean by this statement. I think that using UMS to slash down the number of applicants is actually very stiff and all too mechanical. The aptitude tests at Oxford give an applicant an extra opportunity to shine. Moreover, interviews and interviewers' style changes depending on the college and course that you apply for. My interviews, for example, each served a different purpose and I was able to talk about whichever topic I chose during my first interview (the tutors then challenged me on some of my points and introduced additional evidence to see how I would cope in a tutorial environment.) Both interviews had a degree of flexibility in their structure.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by colourtheory
Not sure what you mean by this statement. I think that using UMS to slash down the number of applicants is actually very stiff and all too mechanical. The aptitude tests at Oxford give an applicant an extra opportunity to shine. Moreover, interviews and interviewers' style changes depending on the college and course that you apply for. My interviews, for example, each served a different purpose and I was able to talk about whichever topic I chose during my first interview (the tutors then challenged me on some of my points and introduced additional evidence to see how I would cope in a tutorial environment.) Both interviews had a degree of flexibility in their structure.

Well I guess you're going to Oxford now :| but no don't take it personally, I'm sure Oxford has a great system that works very well, in fact I was contemplating applying there as I felt I had better chances than at Cambridge, but made my choice purely because of the nature of the course (Oxford doesn't do Nat Sci, which is specifically what I want to apply for, however for quite a long time I thought I'd be doing Physics instead). However I'm not sure what your course is, but Oxford is also very mechanical with the aptitude tests for maths and the sciences. They have a set of maths and physics questions in the PAT which progressively get harder, specifically to slash off weaker applicants. I realised that not having done FM yet I could be one of those weak applicants and this makes me anxious. I've also spoken to people who attended interviews for Physics and the basis of the interview was maths which had not been yet seen by the candidate - which is fair, but not very flexible. You're put on the spot and mostly answer mathematical questions given by the tutor. Of course you should get a chance to talk about your interests in the field, however I feel that there is a reduced emphasis on that in Oxford as they want to test you on how well you can cope with the maths in first year. That's in fact another thing that has put me off - I don't particularly enjoy mechanics, however I have a good understanding of it, yet would have to do it extensively for the first two years, as confirmed by a student I spoke to when I went to shadow Physics and Mathematics students in May. There is very little flexibility in the course (there are pluses to that of course, you get a brilliant basis in the subject) which I wanted in my course so that I can avoid paying £9000 a year for something I don't want to do.

This is what I meant by the feel of Oxford being stiff - but both unis aren't exactly banterland so please don't think I'm trying to throw shade on Oxford in particular, the university is equally great with their systems :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
x

Thanks for clarifying :smile: I'm a second year History student at Ox so was a little confused by what you meant by inflexible. Since you're doing sciences it makes a lot of sense :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending