The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Steliata
Hi there, I don't do French but I do English Language and we study word classifications and stuff. Indefinite articles in English are 'a' and 'an'. A definite article is 'the'.

You use an indefinite article when talking about things generally, and a definite article when talking about a specific thing. So for example, 'an apple' is any old apple while 'the apple' is a specific one. I presume it's a similar system in French - although I'm not sure, I doubt they'd be called the same thing if it wasn't the same system. So just substitute the corresponding word with a/an or the, depending on what meaning you want.

Hope this helps! Sorry if I wasn't clear about anything.

Yes thank you, it's similar to English it's just the actual placement of where the nouns and articles need to go that seems glaringly obvious, but for some reason I'm not understanding it.
Original post by _Charlotte15
Yes thank you, it's similar to English it's just the actual placement of where the nouns and articles need to go that seems glaringly obvious, but for some reason I'm not understanding it.

Oh right. I don't have any knowledge of that, sorry :frown: I hope you find the answer soon
Original post by Steliata
Oh right. I don't have any knowledge of that, sorry :frown: I hope you find the answer soon

It's fine, was really helpful. Thank you!!
Hello fellow students :ciao:
- What qualification are you taking?
A Levels
- What subject/s are you going to be taking?
French
Textiles
English Literature
Psychology
- How do you feel your GCSEs went?
Went alright actually, proud of myself :smile:
- An interesting fact?
I moved to England in 2012 ( so I started year 9 ) and I'm Belgian

When are you guys going to start revising or are you already revising? Do you have a revision and/or homework timetable? How do you schedule time for homework and revision? How are you peeps finding 6th form or college? x Any advice on how to take notes in class or revise from people doing 6th form whether we're doing the same A level(s) or not..!
Original post by spico
Started properly revising on Sunday, my mocks are next week:s-smilie:. I've been doing 1 or 2 past papers a day and an obscene amount of note and book reading.

Spoiler

^^^Realised I just went on a rant and would like to apologize to anyone who actually bothered to read that spoiler. Double apologies if the bb-code didn't work

MY FRIEND I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM DURING MY GCSE DAYS so I didn't really bother with my mocks this time!! I thought I was the only one with this struggle. I hope I can prove myself the right way this summer otherwise...
Have you guys decided on how many AS's your going to be taking? (At my school we have the option of taking 2-4). Any advice? :smile:
im taking 4 and kinda regretting it cause seems like i kinda have to push myself to do anything for the fourth sub i think 3 is a good one especially since most universities dont specify although it depends on what your planning on study at uni level and which school
hi everybody btw joined a lil while ago but just started using student room again and been wantingto connect to some other students im studying bio chem maths and spanish at a leels gcses went ok think i could hav done a bit better but oh eelll not anything to fuss about and fact bout me is um i like cereal :3 (and chocolate milk). jk well i like greek mythology as u can probly guess from my name
Anyone out there doing AQA French? How are you preparing for the oral exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SampleX
Anyone out there doing AQA French? How are you preparing for the oral exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am! I'm going to be mind mapping bullet points for each topic/possible questions. Also thinking of writing out possible questions, putting them in a hat and answering them randomly :smile: how about you?
any official threads for AS business (edexcel) or AS r.e (AQA)?
Original post by Peachy23
I am! I'm going to be mind mapping bullet points for each topic/possible questions. Also thinking of writing out possible questions, putting them in a hat and answering them randomly :smile: how about you?

Hey! I'm doing AQA French as well I'm doing mindmaps on each topic ( e.g les drogues) and then I would bullet point positive and negative arguments (e.g ca fait du bien as positif then il deviendrait accro ) and then also vocab or phrases that I want to remember x My teacher also gives us a little sheet with questions, that could be asked during the oral exam, whenever we complete the topic.
@SampleX (since you asked first x)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Peachy23

Mind maps are definitely happening, I'm also learning some debate phrases and ones that can be used with the subjunctive :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mind maps and learning phrases!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Taefella
Hey! I'm doing AQA French as well I'm doing mindmaps on each topic ( e.g les drogues) and then I would bullet point positive and negative arguments (e.g ca fait du bien as positif then il deviendrait accro ) and then also vocab or phrases that I want to remember x My teacher also gives us a little sheet with questions, that could be asked during the oral exam, whenever we complete the topic.
@SampleX (since you asked first x)

We have a little booklet that I'm workin through, but there's so much to do!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SampleX
Mind maps are definitely happening, I'm also learning some debate phrases and ones that can be used with the subjunctive :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good idea! Definitely need to learn some good subjunctive phrases.
Original post by SampleX
We have a little booklet that I'm workin through, but there's so much to do!
Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't agree with you more! There's just so much to know in order to get a A or even a B! But we can deffo do this, as long as we know our tenses and have great arguing points! My weakness is definitely the listening section :afraid:. The thing is after you pass an U the grade boundary are really tight, 5-10 marks could be the difference between a grade!
Closer and closer the tests come... And I'm getting worried.

My current run-throughs of AS Chemistry Paper 2 doesn't seem so good-only Bs lately. Physics isn't any better. And I'm taking 4 Maths Papers (C12, C34, M1, S1). Do I have too much on my plate, or is this still okay?
Original post by Taefella
I can't agree with you more! There's just so much to know in order to get a A or even a B! But we can deffo do this, as long as we know our tenses and have great arguing points! My weakness is definitely the listening section :afraid:. The thing is after you pass an U the grade boundary are really tight, 5-10 marks could be the difference between a grade!

I keep telling myself it'll be okay, I've been preparing so hard it has to pay off at some point!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Who has mocks after half term? How is everyone's revision going?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest