The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SampleX
I feel you man. The same for Spanish, but more worried about French because I'm self teaching myself...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck with teaching yourself AS French :smile:
Original post by Helfus
Do you we have the winter mocks for sixth form?

If so I'm quiet looking forward to it, getting to revise things I actually like.

It's more than likely that you'll have mocks, my college does them in January. I'm the same I can focus on the subjects I enjoy.
Original post by Gilo98
Sounds like better circumstances that standard AS is!! I'm sure you will be more than fine :smile:

You, too. We'll get thrown back into it so quickly we'll pick it up just as fast again xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fafalala
Good luck with teaching yourself AS French :smile:

Thanks, I think I'm going to need it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 4nonymous
AS exams still exist. The only difference is that you don't have to take them. Some schools will want you to do them and if you do you get an AS qualification in the subject. However, if you continue the subject in yr 13 then the AS grade does not count towards your A-level but you still get the AS qualification. This is only for linear subjects though such as sciences. Modular subjects have not changed. You should find out whether the subjects you're doing are linear or modular.

Here's an example (credit to jamestg for posting this)

Take AS and A-level Biology for example.

You can go one of two routes:

Route 1 is two papers in Year 12, and then three papers in Year 13 - giving you two qualifications, AS Biology and A-level Biology.

Route 2 is three papers in Year 13 - giving you one qualification, A-level Biology.

Each route has its advantages and disadvantages

Route 1:
- grades to put on university applications
- you know whether you should drop the subject
- it can theoretically give you a higher A-level grade because you're being examined on the same content again in Y13, and so you can find weaknesses and improve on your AS grade
- if you didn't do too well at GCSE but you're doing well in Year 12 this can help make up for them (providing you improve)

but

- it's more work than you have to do
- you're under more pressure than you need to be
- it makes sixth form feel more fragmented

Route 2:
- you can gain a deep understanding with all of the content, and you have plenty of time to make sure your grades are the best they can be
- you're under less pressure to begin with

but

- you're under a huge amount of pressure to complete all of your exams within a season's period
- you cannot do 4 subjects
- you need to ensure you are on top of all your work from the past two years, which will be difficult due to the huge quantity and difficulty of it all
- you will only have your GCSE grades when you apply to university, so if you didn't do too great it will make your application weaker

why can't you do 4??
Original post by SampleX
You, too. We'll get thrown back into it so quickly we'll pick it up just as fast again xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hope so :biggrin:
I start tomorrow... I'm scared x.x

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm pretty late to this but oh well I'll through down some info anyways ^^

What qualification are you taking?
A-levels

What subject/s are you going to be taking?
Maths, FM, Physics and Chemistry

How do you feel your GCSEs went?
Pretty well overall, there were a couple of surprises.

An interesting fact?
I'm a sexy single pringle :sogood:

Who's genuinely excited? I think Y12 will be a blast!
:colone: Expect moi?
What qualification are you taking?
A-levels

What subject/s are you going to be taking?
Maths, FM, Physics and Economics U mad bro? :colone:

How do you feel your GCSEs went?
Fab :woo:
An interesting fact?

I rap better than you ever will :smug:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Drogo876
I haven't yet, mainly because sometimes are school offers us a deal where we don't have to pay as much as it's cheaper to buy in bulk, but if they don't offer us any within the next month I'll buy mine then

Our school doesn't bother with that at sixth form 😖
My mum refuses to buy them unless they're through the school and I can't afford to buy so many textbooks myself

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KingAuthor
I start tomorrow... I'm scared x.x

Posted from TSR Mobile

I start tomorrow as well! :woo:
I'm so excited right now, but on the day, I will be so nervous, even though I'm returning to my school's sixth form...
Original post by JessThomas6
My mum refuses to buy them unless they're through the school and I can't afford to buy so many textbooks myself

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know that sixth forms want you to be independent but it's so much cheaper buying books through school than in retail shops! Have they ever thought about that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JessThomas6

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sucks ! I just assumed mine would do it as they did it for GCSE if your mum won't buy any ask the school if they'd do it as it works out cheaper for everyone when bought in bulk. I know that for CGP it's like £11 a book but if the school buys in bulk it's like £6 per book or something like that.
I haven't got the revision guides yet, mainly because my school will buy revision guides in bulk meaning they get it cheaper and don't have to pay as much and no, what's MBTI ?

Sorry for the late reply!

MBTI can be explained here -> http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/mbti-basics/

When you start College/6th Form?
Original post by SampleX
Thanks, I think I'm going to need it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're welcome :smile:
Original post by Fafalala
Sorry for the late reply!

MBTI can be explained here -> http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/mbti-basics/

When you start College/6th Form?

It's fine:smile: Thanks for the link i'll give it a read and I start sixth form on Thursday the 3rd. You ?
Original post by Gilo98
:smile:

Great. Thats the biggest advice my college has given for French - learn common conjugations and basic grammar such as declination of prepositions (de vs des vs de la, etc etc etc. au, à, à la la blah blah)

Psychology sounds so interesting :biggrin:
Further Maths, Additional Further Maths, Physics :h:

Hope you enjoy doing AS French :smile:

Thank you - I can't wait to start studying it!

What are you planning on doing at University?
It's fine:smile: Thanks for the link i'll give it a read and I start sixth form on Thursday the 3rd. You ?

Same! I just enrolled today :h:
Original post by thevamps99xo
I know that sixth forms want you to be independent but it's so much cheaper buying books through school than in retail shops! Have they ever thought about that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

We're a grammar school in an "affluent area" (BECAUSE ONLY RICH PEOPLE CAN AFFORD TO ACTUALLY LIVE THERE 😒) so they think we can afford it 😒😒

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest