The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I start so late! Next tuesday is my official first day eeeeep
Original post by Fafalala
YAY! What options are you studying for Components 1 & 2?

Mine are Option 1C: The Tudors, and Option 2R: The Cold War.

I don't know the numbers / letters but I think I am studying the Angevin Kings of England, Russia from around 1850 to Kruschshev and China for coursework :smile:
Also, anyone whos doing a language (im doing german jaja) and if you have computer/language lab lessons which you need to schedule into your free periods, how are you doing it? One day on my timetable I've only got 1 lesson, but I was thinking about leaving that day as a 'study day' so I know I have 1 day a fortnight of working really hard during school minimum hm
Reply 1263
Original post by txmidayoxo
At this stage what you got in your GCSE's are completely irrelevant. You have been accepted to study the subject so you must be capable. My chemistry teacher told me someone who did triple science and got all A* got a U in AS. It's all about proving yourself now. Just work hard from now and aim to pass the induction exam, and then do the course. Biology will always be better than BTEC Health and Social Care(in the eyes of uni's). Also, if you do health and social care you can only do one other A Level because it equates to 3 subjects. And biology is a requirement for nursing. Don't limit yourself.

Thank you , I'm doing the sub dip which is two but I'll try had and see the outcome after 3 weeks x
Original post by Caver
I'm hating college to be honest, I just feel so lonely in there as I've not made any friends... D: lonely lunchtimes just aimlessly walking around.. it's a shame no one on here feels the same and goes to my college so we can meet

I'm really sorry to hear about your experience of college so far! :frown: :hugs:

Even if you haven't been able to make friends during lessons yet (lessons where it's very likely that other students are equally as passionate as you are about the subjects), you really shouldn't aimlessly walk around the place just to give yourself something to do! D: Just ask to sit at a table with a relatively small-ish group (around two or three people is probably ideal) when you're eating, and if they're decent enough people, they'll be happy to accommodate you and keep you feeling welcome! :smile:

You can easily get through the early stages of the conversation by asking what schools they're from, what they're studying, their name(s) etc. Even though those questions are a little superficial and unoriginal, they should allow you to progress further and ease any tensions, where you can find out if you have many common interests, and also express your awesome personality further. :tongue:

If it's at all possible, try and find out if there's anyone attending your college that is maybe one of few people from a certain high school etc. They would be equally as happy to try and make new friends, unlike some of the larger groups which can be a bit closed off and appear (perhaps unintentionally) intimidating to most people.

If all else fails, try track down a few other 'loners' that you might see wandering around aimlessly, or sitting alone, and sit with them! They'll probably be the happiest people in the world to see someone talk to them and be interested in them (just imagine if some amazing person decided to do that to you)!

Also, if the college offers any enrichment that interests you, be sure to jump straight into it, as you'll know for sure that people share common interests with you, which makes things so much easier! :smile:

Let me know if you need any more specific advice, or if you have any other questions! Just quote me or PM me, I'd be happy to help! :biggrin:

I too, wish you were at the same college. Hahaha. :tongue:
Original post by ha27
im stauing at my school and i feel this way i went to the shopping centre alone as i didnt want to go tesco alone where everyone could see me aimlessly walking around..

The general advice I posted just above this post might help you out too! I hope things work out for any of you guys still having problems making friends, I can definitely emphasise myself, as I had issues making friends ranging from my time at primary school, up until maybe half way through high-school.

But again, shoot me a PM or a quote if you have any needs for specific advice or questions, or if you just need someone to talk to. :smile:
Original post by Drogo876
Anyone studying Jane Eyre for their English Literature course with WJEC ??

Me! :biggrin: I start on Monday.
Explain how the cell is protected from the protein digesting enzymes that Lysosomes contain? (3 marks OCR Biology)

need help with this one :P

cant find the answer on google and my 6th form college hasnt supplied us with the revision books yet :colondollar::colondollar:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by gracemay_
Me! :biggrin: I start on Monday.

Yay:biggrin:
Original post by Caver
I'm hating college to be honest, I just feel so lonely in there as I've not made any friends... D: lonely lunchtimes just aimlessly walking around.. it's a shame no one on here feels the same and goes to my college so we can meet

I felt the same way for the past few days at my new sixth form so I just changed to a different one yesterday and it's already so much better! At first I was worried that I was the problem and that wherever I go I'd feel the same but clearly the school (or the people in it) was the problem. Maybe have a look at changing schools. Like it'd only been a few days and my family kept saying I'd settle in with time but I wasn't so sure so I spoke to my headteacher and he was so nice and said I can go somewhere else but if I decide it's not for me I can come back.
Original post by SuperHuman98
Explain how the cell is protected from the protein digesting enzymes that Lysosomes contain? (3 marks OCR Biology)

need help with this one :P

cant find the answer on google and my 6th form college hasnt supplied us with the revision books yet :colondollar::colondollar:

Don't they have a cell membrane that stops stuff that shouldn't go out or in from doing so? So, that means that those enzymes are just in the Lysosomes and not outside

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar :frown:
Original post by Firenze26
Don't they have a cell membrane that stops stuff that shouldn't go out or in from doing so? So, that means that those enzymes are just in the Lysosomes and not outside

P.S.

alright thank you :smile:

Dont worry about your grammar seems fine to me
Are any of you guys regretting choosing a subject? I haven't even started my Biology classes yet and I'm starting to regret choosing Biology. It's just too difficult 😕

P.S.

How did all of your further maths and maths lessons go?

I found further maths confusing (like wtf? level) at first but after doing work outside of lesson I feel more confident now. Further maths essentially forces you to spend lots of time outside of school understanding and reinforcing what you learnt in class. Maths was pretty easy. I've been self teaching C1 so I can get a headstart for the test that our school does in October to decide if you're taking the right subject for you.

Physics was just standard form and economics was easy but boring. How are you guys finding your A-level subjects?
Original post by ImagineCats
Also, anyone whos doing a language (im doing german jaja) and if you have computer/language lab lessons which you need to schedule into your free periods, how are you doing it? One day on my timetable I've only got 1 lesson, but I was thinking about leaving that day as a 'study day' so I know I have 1 day a fortnight of working really hard during school minimum hm

Hi there,

I don't know what you mean by a language lab but my teacher scheduled us time with her (she's acting as our language assistant because there's like no Chinese specific ones apart from her!) when we and her have a free. So maybe try talking to your language assistant or whoever you're with to see when they're available if that's what you mean :smile: My one is unfortunately scheduled first thing on my day with the most frees but I think it'll be good because it'll get me doing work! So maybe putting it on that day with one lesson isn't so bad :smile:

Original post by Kyou
How are you guys finding your A-level subjects?

I found maths pretty easy as well, we just started on gradients which I found a bit weird at GCSE but honestly it's nothing much now. My teacher has a weird teaching style though, we're not allowed to write at all when he's talking and then he gives us like 10 minutes to make notes. Although I suppose it means we only write down the most important stuff.

My other subjects are pretty fun, although Chinese is scary and the new course for English Language seems to have made the AS exams really boring and more like GCSE :sigh:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kyou

I found further maths confusing (like wtf? level) at first but after doing work outside of lesson I feel more confident now. Further maths essentially forces you to spend lots of time outside of school understanding and reinforcing what you learnt in class. Maths was pretty easy. I've been self teaching C1 so I can get a headstart for the test that our school does in October to decide if you're taking the right subject for you.

Physics was just standard form and economics was easy but boring. How are you guys finding your A-level subjects?

I also started learning C1 during the summer holidays and I'm glad, because my Maths teacher just dropped everything on us the first lesson we had. I'm also doing Economics and I found my Microeconomics class really interesting and I'm enjoying it so far. But my Macroeconomics class was so boring, maybe it was because I was sleeping because I was so tired.
Original post by Kyou

Pure maths is straight forward, physics is looking fun too. I agree about FM, it's a good idea to go over stuff you've learnt in lessons.
Hello year 12's, for anyone who is studying, or has studied a levels in biology and chemistry what textbooks would you recommend most highly? The school are purchasing cgp textbooks however, after using them for gcse, I believe them to be too vague for the knowledge needed to achieve high at A-level, what are your thoughts on this, if you have used them of course. Btw the exam board is AQA for both of those courses.

Also, I am starting AQA Psychology AS and I would like opinions regarding the difficulty, or vice versa, of this course...what were your thoughts? What did you need to work harder on? Best revision techniques for psychology?

Thank you in advance.
Original post by Helpmeoutplease
Hello year 12's, for anyone who is studying, or has studied a levels in biology and chemistry what textbooks would you recommend most highly? The school are purchasing cgp textbooks however, after using them for gcse, I believe them to be too vague for the knowledge needed to achieve high at A-level, what are your thoughts on this, if you have used them of course. Btw the exam board is AQA for both of those courses.

Also, I am starting AQA Psychology AS and I would like opinions regarding the difficulty, or vice versa, of this course...what were your thoughts? What did you need to work harder on? Best revision techniques for psychology?

Thank you in advance.

For AQA I'd recommend the ones from Oxford university press, they're really detailed and have lots of exam questions etc
Don't do psychology so can't help with that, sorry :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I start Year 12 this week! Crazy times

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest