The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pix2015
I'm not at college yet I start Wednesday. When you say big jump, what is the difference is it the amount of work and time or the content? Now I'm getting scared.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay well, if you're doing History, you learn all these new big words like colonies, imperialism etc, and unlike GCSE, there's no fixed specification, it's up to you to do the extra reading. In a way I actually find it more interesting than GCSE because it seems more in depth and assumes you're genuinely interested (which I am), so dw there is a plus side to it, but bloody hell it feels so demanding already!
I can't talk for my other subjects (English Lit, RS and Politics) because we haven't done much, but Politics doesn't seem that bad so far.
- What qualification are you taking?A level-
What subject/s are you going to be taking?English literature, lang, philosophy
- How do you feel your GCSEs went? 3 A*s, 2 As, 3 Bs. I was happy at the time but hearing of other people's 100x better results, i now feel very miserable about them and inadequate.
Original post by jacoman
Sounds like a good idea. I'm terribly lazy but I was hoping this would be offset by the 20min a week session I'd get with the French Assistant (native speaker) at my college.

Same here, although my college have put me in some year 13 French classes, and my form tutor (the head of languages) says he'll go over stuff with me once a week, so I'll have plenty of push there!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1383
We have transitiont workk. I have no idea what to do . I need to do one for math english literature biology and chemistry. Ive only just started.
Original post by SampleX
Same here, although my college have put me in some year 13 French classes, and my form tutor (the head of languages) says he'll go over stuff with me once a week, so I'll have plenty of push there!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Our IB Co-Ordinator is a French Teacher, so I hope I'll be able to gain at least some advice from him on exam technique etc.
Original post by tahliaD
Hello! Mine is edexcel, me thinks but I'm sure that there will be some overlapping content. I start mine today and it's looking like one hell of an ugly *insert not-so-friendly family insult here* My weapon is that of the plastic wallet, I'm afraid. :biggrin:

Oh, and thank you!

I think because it's Maths, the exam boards should (for the most part) cover the same essential content, it's just that there may be a different style of examination and whatnot. :smile: Although I've heard some nightmare stories about the MEI Maths exams.. Rumour has it, those who go through the MEI A-Level exams, never return alive, or quite the same person they were before... ._.

But anyways, I was looking at some C1 Maths videos on Youtube for the Edexcel board, and everything also applied to the OCR board and me, as far as I could tell! :biggrin:

I hope Maths as bad as it seemed, or anything near like an ugly *insert said not-so friendly neighbourhood spider-man insult here*. I think I've done maybe two days worth of lessons or so, but it's gradually picking up in pace! :redface:

The plastic wallet shall indeed serve you well, at least for now, where C1 is non-calculator!

May your pencils be as sharp as your skills and awesomeness, and your plastic wallets, stronger than ten boss fights combined! And may the force(s) (of physics) be with you. :biggrin:

And you're very welcome! :smile:
Original post by Yes,it'sEs!
Haha :h: and thanks, I hope you enjoy yours aswell! :biggrin:

I only ate some of the ice cream (which has melted now) but you can drink the rest (EWW!) :wink::colone::colone::colone::u:

I shall let you off this time, and begrudgingly slurp the ice-cream from the bottom of the container. Though it will not be acceptable for this to happen, in the future. :wink::u:
Original post by Helfus
So I'm now doing History instead of Theatre Studies.

I've missed 2 lessons of history but think I'll catch up no problem....

If those two history lessons you missed are anything like the history lessons I've just had, you seriously haven't missed very much (apart from that one piece of homework we got set)! :biggrin:
- What qualification are you taking?
A-Levels
- What subject/s are you going to be taking?
I'm currently taking Sociology, Psychology, Photography and Economics
- How do you feel your GCSEs went?
Mostly C's and B's which is more than I could have ever excepted. Waiting for a remark on Philosophy as I was only mark off a C....meaning i'll get all my GCSEs!! WOO!!
- An interesting fact?
I LOVE Banana Bread!! Can't get enough of it!!!
Original post by jacoman
Our IB Co-Ordinator is a French Teacher, so I hope I'll be able to gain at least some advice from him on exam technique etc.

Hopefully! It's always good to have a good support network at sixth form!

Posted from TSR Mobile
How's everyone enjoying it so far? Had my first day today and had a lesson in all my subjects (French, Spanish, Politics and Psychology)

Super excited for French because originally the class was meant to be 4 people but the other 3 have dropped out so now it's just me! So I basically get 1-1 tuition, which is incredibly rare in a state school!
Original post by BEARichards
How's everyone enjoying it so far? Had my first day today and had a lesson in all my subjects (French, Spanish, Politics and Psychology)Super excited for French because originally the class was meant to be 4 people but the other 3 have dropped out so now it's just me! So I basically get 1-1 tuition, which is incredibly rare in a state school!

Lucky. I was the only one wanting to do Higher level IB Maths and Physics in my college and they told me I had to take A-Levels in them (on top of all 6 IB subjects).
(edited 8 years ago)
How's everyone enjoying it so far? Had my first day today and had a lesson in all my subjects (French, Spanish, Politics and Psychology)

Super excited for French because originally the class was meant to be 4 people but the other 3 have dropped out so now it's just me! So I basically get 1-1 tuition, which is incredibly rare in a state school!

Nice, are you thinking of doing International Relations (or whatever it's called) for uni?

I just started my first day today as well and, gosh, it's so stressful. it was a pretty huge jump for me although my classmates are adapting quite well.

It was worse at the start though cause I was given Physics instead of History as my first option so I had to skip break and lunch just to have it changed but it was successful and I ate a great burger after school so, I'm more relaxed now.

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar :frown:
Original post by Firenze26
Nice, are you thinking of doing International Relations (or whatever it's called) for uni?

I just started my first day today as well and, gosh, it's so stressful. it was a pretty huge jump for me although my classmates are adapting quite well.

It was worse at the start though cause I was given Physics instead of History as my first option so I had to skip break and lunch just to have it changed but it was successful and I ate a great burger after school so, I'm more relaxed now.

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar :frown:

I'm actually hoping to do something along the lines of modern languages and linguistics :smile:

And omg about the big jump thing, no one in my classes was expecting the jump! People in my Spanish class were thinking about dropping out after 5 minutes because they found it so hard!

That's amazing!
I only had one lesson (economics), which was after the induction and then I got to go home! I felt a bit lost without anything to do aha
I've got two of my lessons tomorrow and then have to wait until Wednesday to start psychology which is slightly annoying, but timetables :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
First day of A-levels was actually pretty good!

Got my shockingly awful timetable, virtually every lesson is a double except for Biology on Tuesdays which is a triple including a twilight session. 5 lessons per subject which isn't too bad I guess...

First lesson (technically second but we didn't go to our first official lesson) was Maths and I've got a great teacher, although he is a bit weird. He goes through everything at a really good pace and he is very good at explaining things. The actual topic today was indices and surds which was quite a nice topic to settle in with, got given 7 questions to do due in two weeks time.

Then I had an hour or so to kill, until 1pm when I had double history! The two lessons are split with the first being Germany and the second Italy, both were challenging yet enjoyable and although my 'expertise' lie in Germany, Italy does look very interesting so perhaps it might not be the same this year! Got given two essays to write - one about the SDP spitting up and the other is political conflict within Germany. Then with the Italy lesson we were given 3 pages of text to read through and summarise briefly.

Afterwards, went home and just chilled for an hour or so and then got stuck in with my essays for History. They took a very long time yet I managed to do both as well as the Maths homework which was challenging in places but nothing I couldn't overcome in the end. Also did the summarisation of text for the other history task, took about 15 minutes.

Time for a late dinner!

It feels great to complete all of my homework, to a high standard, on the day it's given!

French and Spanish? Me too :3
And wow, that's awesome! I have a class of around 10 but it's good because we can all discuss things together in French c:

French and Spanish buddy yaaaaaaas

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is anyone here despising chemistry like me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well today was an anticlimax

Latest