The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by buzzyambee
Sorry! Saying that, the catering at Oxford is brilliant. My dad's a chef at one of the colleges so I often get free samples :P

Is the food expensive like everywhere else?
Original post by buzzyambee
Sorry! Saying that, the catering at Oxford is brilliant. My dad's a chef at one of the colleges so I often get free samples :P

Oh lovely :smile: Catering is a game changer when it comes to choosing unis :tongue:
Original post by Gabzinc
Is the food expensive like everywhere else?

No sure but probably :/

Original post by MrMackyTv
Oh lovely :smile: Catering is a game changer when it comes to choosing unis :tongue:

I know right. They always say you can't trust a uni with mouldy macaroni cheese xD
Original post by MrMackyTv
Hey Everyone!

The year is closing now and I have a set questions I would like to ask some of our active Year 10s (you don't have to answer all of them :smile:).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How has the year gone for you in general? Rate it out of 10 :smile:
What have you learnt about yourself this year? Has anything changed?
Is this what you expected your GCSE's to be like?
What subject(s) are you struggling with the most, or if not (because you're perfect :tongue:) what is, or what has become your favourite subject?
What are your goals for Year 11?
What measures do you think you need to take to improve your grades (in terms of revision, like what revision styles)?

:banana2:Enjoy your half-term! :biggrin:

1) It's gone alright but pretty fast ngl. 7/10. I MEAN I BECAME PREFECT SO...
2) That I'm a Boss Ass ***** but I knew that already.
3) Yes
4) Science (Getting C's and B's)
5) To keep my head in the game and never forget what's important.
6) I'm just going to revise like proper. ..well try to. Flashcards and pretending I'm a teacher for an imaginary class.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mrs.Grey
1) It's gone alright but pretty fast ngl. 7/10. I MEAN I BECAME PREFECT SO...
2) That I'm a Boss Ass ***** but I knew that already.
3) Yes
4) Science (Getting C's and B's)
5) To keep my head in the game and never forget what's important.
6) I'm just going to revise like proper. ..well try to. Flashcards and pretending I'm a teacher for an imaginary class.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey all,first time post:smile:
This may seem random but I'm not finding year 10 not too enjoyable.I feel I am just living my school life for my academic future,all thoughts of GCSE's,Sixth forms and Uni's take up so much time and it feels like the year has been dedicated to looking beyond present time.On the bright side it feels really awesome too be around all these wonderful year 10s!
Ugh so us Year 10s have our end of year exams coming up (well I think everyone does them?) and we have 1hr 30 for each paper with 3 Maths papers which is stressing me out. Also, the new English Lit. and Lang. is also stressing me out. I can't fit everything in only, what is it 1hr 10? I'm not coping that well I mean I have a pretty calm exterior but a stressed out interior. I am revising like crazy but I feel like, with only 10 days until end of year exams, I don't have enough time. Also, I haven't worked out a proper schedule because I barely let myself have a break because I know the 5 minutes will turn into an hour. Any advice?
I have end of year exams in 10 days as well! How are you guys revising for geography ,English and maths?????

I haven't revised anything- at all! I have 3 courseworks at the same time. ISA, Geography and Computer Science. With the latter 2 due end of June
We had a practice paper for maths on Friday, so should be getting the results back today.

Btw does anyone have the wjec religious studies B paper from last year??
To be honest, for me past papers work really well. Also I do a ton of mind maps and flash cards for stuff like geography history and triple science. For maths just find as many practise questions you can and do them. If you can't find the answers ask your teacher to mark them. That's pretty sad that you have all your ISAs coming up soon as mine were spread out from year 9 with my Biology ISA and beginning of year 10 with my chemistry. I also have my geography controlled assessment which isn't too bad too be honest. I guess you need to do what's best for you. If you are a visual learner then highlight stuff etc.

Finally English I would also just do practice papers and ask your teacher to mark it. Also for stuff like your Shakespeare and 19th century novel, note down key quotes that are versatile and remember all the scenes in the play and chapters of the book.

Good Luck and Happy Revising (you need to start soon otherwise you are gonna regret it)
Original post by MainlyMathsHelp
To be honest, for me past papers work really well. Also I do a ton of mind maps and flash cards for stuff like geography history and triple science. For maths just find as many practise questions you can and do them. If you can't find the answers ask your teacher to mark them. That's pretty sad that you have all your ISAs coming up soon as mine were spread out from year 9 with my Biology ISA and beginning of year 10 with my chemistry. I also have my geography controlled assessment which isn't too bad too be honest. I guess you need to do what's best for you. If you are a visual learner then highlight stuff etc.

Finally English I would also just do practice papers and ask your teacher to mark it. Also for stuff like your Shakespeare and 19th century novel, note down key quotes that are versatile and remember all the scenes in the play and chapters of the book.

Good Luck and Happy Revising (you need to start soon otherwise you are gonna regret it)

What did you get in your biology and chemistry isa.
Have you done your physics isa and have you finished your geography controlled assessment?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by haseeb798
What did you get in your biology and chemistry isa.
Have you done your physics isa and have you finished your geography controlled assessment?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got an A in my Biology and an A* in my Chemistry. Gonna do my Physics in July and I haven't finished my geography CA yet. I'm on the part where we have to do our data presentation so we need to use excel to make graphs to represent my findings from my fieldwork. How about you?
I got an A in my Biology and an A* in my Chemistry. Gonna do my Physics in July and I haven't finished my geography CA yet. I'm on the part where we have to do our data presentation so we need to use excel to make graphs to represent my findings from my fieldwork. How about you?

I got an A* (47/50) in my Biology ISA and an A (43/50) in my Chemistry ISA and will hopefully be doing my Physics ISA in July. Im currently doing my geography controlled assessment and im doing the last bit which is the analysis and evaluation. Ive done all the graphs and charts. When are your mocks for subjects?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by haseeb798
I got an A* (47/50) in my Biology ISA and an A (43/50) in my Chemistry ISA and will hopefully be doing my Physics ISA in July. Im currently doing my geography controlled assessment and im doing the last bit which is the analysis and evaluation. Ive done all the graphs and charts. When are your mocks for subjects?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My mocks I believe are in Year 11, I think at the beginning of the Year. However, apparently my end of year exam results will also factor into my predicted grades which is quite important. When are your mocks and do your EOY exams also factor into your predicted grades?
I have my chemistry and physics ISA German controlled assessment and starting my Geography controlled assessment all while I'm fasting so the hardest month ever basically
My geography CA is due on Thursday
I've got the conclusion and evaluation left

Btw have you guys studied A Christmas Carol? I;'m stressing out over English, because its been a while since we studied this book and I need to revise it SO other than 'How is Scrooge presented as an outsider in Society' what other possible questions have you been assessed on? or can u think of?
Original post by samaad
I have my chemistry and physics ISA German controlled assessment and starting my Geography controlled assessment all while I'm fasting so the hardest month ever basically

I don't think I could possibly do all that along with revising while fasting so props to you and good luck.
Original post by bluepearl7

Wait so you can do your CA whenever you want but you just have a deadline? Are you also allowed to do it at home? See for me I can only do it in school and during my actual geography lessons but I have no idea when we have to finish by which is annoying.
Wait so you can do your CA whenever you want but you just have a deadline? Are you also allowed to do it at home? See for me I can only do it in school and during my actual geography lessons but I have no idea when we have to finish by which is annoying.

We don't do it at home but teacher set us "homework" which is basically doing a mock controlled assessment and for aqa a geography deadline for controlled assesment is december 1st

No, we can't do it at home. I've got two more geography lessons to write up the evaluation and conclusion. We had a day during the half term where we could come in for several hours to complete the data presentation.
Ugh so us Year 10s have our end of year exams coming up (well I think everyone does them?) and we have 1hr 30 for each paper with 3 Maths papers which is stressing me out. Also, the new English Lit. and Lang. is also stressing me out. I can't fit everything in only, what is it 1hr 10? I'm not coping that well I mean I have a pretty calm exterior but a stressed out interior. I am revising like crazy but I feel like, with only 10 days until end of year exams, I don't have enough time. Also, I haven't worked out a proper schedule because I barely let myself have a break because I know the 5 minutes will turn into an hour. Any advice?

7 days til my end of year exams start and I haven't started revising. I probably won't either because the teachers are still setting tonnes of (non revision) homework which takes up all my time. The maths exams I have no clue for because our teacher really couldn't care less and hasn't even given us the dates for the exams yet because we were studying for the end of year test. The English is definitely longer than 1h 10 assuming you're doing all of it. The shortest exam is 1h45 (x2) for lang and 1h 45 and 2h 15 for lit. For some reason having studied almost solely lit our teachers have decided to do a lang mock and no lit mock which is a bit stupid imo but I guess there's some reasoning behind it.
I know what you mean about the calm exterior and stressed out interior. Sometimes I'm like that and sometimes I'm just like why does it matter I cba seeing as the school cba to tell us about them til just over 3 weeks before they started!
I would advise making a schedule just because then you can make sure you focus on your weaker subjects and the satisfaction of crossing of a subject (and knowing you've done your best to get everything done) is great.
Also, I know it's hard but don't panic. Panicking will only make it worse and make it harder to revise. Do take time off to relax or you'll run out of fuel as you get to the exams. Eat a healthy diet and keep to your routine. It will make everything easier.
I have end of year exams in 10 days as well! How are you guys revising for geography ,English and maths?????

I haven't revised anything- at all! I have 3 courseworks at the same time. ISA, Geography and Computer Science. With the latter 2 due end of June
We had a practice paper for maths on Friday, so should be getting the results back today.

Btw does anyone have the wjec religious studies B paper from last year??

I don't take geography so I'm not revising that lol. For English, key quotes around themes and characters are helpful. Otherwise, just know the books really well. Maths, practice questions, past papers and the revision pack our teacher gives us before every exam.
I haven't revised anything either! (well I suppose we had homework to make revision notes for history so I've done some history). I'm currently doing chemistry and about to start physics ISA, computing, electronics and business coursework all with various different deadlines ranging from this Friday to January.
We did our end of year test for maths on Friday (the unofficial one) and every time the teacher sees someone he tells them their mark but I haven't seen him yet so I haven't got mine yet I'm aiming for top of the year (touch wood) so fingers crossed. Hope your results were what you wanted.
You'll have to find the correct unit but it should be on this page: http://www.wjec.co.uk/qualifications/qualification-resources.html?pastpaper=true&subject=ReligiousStudies&level=gcse

Btw have you guys studied A Christmas Carol? I;'m stressing out over English, because its been a while since we studied this book and I need to revise it SO other than 'How is Scrooge presented as an outsider in Society' what other possible questions have you been assessed on? or can u think of?

I've done ACC as has @JTran38 who I'm sure will appear with more questions than I have but the few I can think of off the top of my head are:

What impact do each of the ghosts have on Scrooge?

Which of the ghosts have the greatest impact and why?

When did Scrooge begin to change and why?

How does Dickens present the theme of ................ in Stave......?

Compare the effect of character A and character B on Scrooge

HTH
My mocks I believe are in Year 11, I think at the beginning of the Year. However, apparently my end of year exam results will also factor into my predicted grades which is quite important. When are your mocks and do your EOY exams also factor into your predicted grades?

I will be having another set of mocks in year 11 jan. I have already started my mocks this year and are going really good. These mocks will determine my predicted grades for when I apply for six form. I will be using the mocks in year 11 for when im applying to six form. I hope to get in these mocks a high proportion of A's and A*'s and hope to get at least 8A*' s and 4A's in my actual GCSE'S. I have targets of 10A*'s and 2A's. What are your target grades and what are your dream grades in your gcse's? What is your dream career?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest