The Student Room Group

The Current Year 10 Thread Mark I (2015-2016)

:banana::bl:Welcome to the Official Year 10 Thread:bl: :banana:

Since we are the first to do the new GCSE Maths and English exams in 2017:excited: (I know you're excited), we should probably help each other out for this one because there are going to be a lot of bumps ahead on the road. :driver:

Things you could say:

- Introduce yourself! :smile:
- What are your hobbies and interests?
- How many GCSE's are you doing?
- What subjects are you taking?
- Do you think you're ready for the new GCSE's?
- What's your favourite subject(s)?
- What is your dream career? (If you don't know that's fine we are only Year 10's!:biggrin:)
- How do you feel about going into Year 10?

Changes made to GCSE's for current Year 10's(2015-2016), if you want to see A-Levels please scroll down. All of this information is from the government site.

September 2015:
Students currently will start learning new GCSEs, graded 9 - 1, in:

- English language
- English literature
- Maths

Summer 2017:
Students will take exams for new GCSEs, graded 9 - 1, in:

- English literature
- English language
- Maths

November 2017:
Students get the chance to take resit exams for new GCSE's in:

- English Language
- Maths

If you want to see changes made to A-Levels for current Year 10's (2015-2016), visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/timeline-of-changes-to-gcses-as-and-a-levels/changes-to-gcses-as-and-a-levels-that-will-affect-each-current-school-year-group#year-10

Resources:

Spoiler

Study tips to get the grade you want :smile:

Be persistent.

Use the Pomodoro Technique (google it if you don't know), it is a really effective way of getting a lot of work done in a short amount of time.

Listen to some Focus music on Spotify or something to help you concentrate!

Be organised and neat with work so you can easily review it later when you need it.

If your struggling, ask the teacher (or friends) or do some research by yourself on the internet to help you understand. Things like YouTube, BBC Bitesize et cetera...

Be creative with notes, don't just write them out, highlight important things to remember and keywords.

Don't just copy from a textbook, you won't understand (well I don't). Instead read the textbook then when you're making the notes try to put it into your own words, simplify it so it can be easier to comprehend.

I drank lots of caffeine (especially coffee because it is slow-release) during exam season to make me more alert and do stuff... quickly It actually helps most people but I wouldn't recommend drinking any quick-release caffeine or drinking it after noon because it is going to be hard to go to sleep.

On that note, get LOTS of sleep.

Also on that note, read your notes/textbook/work before you go to bed because it will be easier to remember.

Find out your learning style. You could be an audio learner, visual, kinesthetic... I am mostly a visual learner. Click here to do a small test to find out what kind of learner you are

BIG tip. Plan ahead, if your going to do 2 hours of studying tomorrow make sure you do that, if you only manage to do 1 hour don't let that discourage you. You can always make up for it the next day, maybe the next day your planning to do 2 hours but since you missed out on 1 hour that day you add it on to make 3 hours. Just have that mindset and it will get you through it.

Don't stress, more you do the more likely you are going to freak out mid-test and possibly fail.

(If I have missed something or if you got ideas, quote me!:smile:)
Thanks everyone! :biggrin: - MrMackyTv

[scroll]Please do ask questions in the thread if you're unsure about the changes or anything else related to your GCSE's :smile: We don't bite! :tongue:[/scroll]
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Welcome to the new thread! :biggrin:
I am hereeeee

the party can start :mmm:
There aren't any new Y10s! :mmm:

Original post by Black Rose
I am hereeeee

the party can start :mmm:

Could you move the quote list from their old thread to here? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by karmacrunch
There aren't any new Y10s! :mmm:

Could you move the quote list from their old thread to here? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spoiler

Welcome to your new thread :h:
Original post by Black Rose

Welcome to your new thread :h:

Thanks! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys I'm a girl also in year 9 and I'm very Gucci , Channel and New York if you know what I mean ( the best way to describe myself ) I'm going to do my work experience in 2016 and I have no idea how to apply or ask companies for the work experience , worst of all I have no idea what I want to be in the future so I don't know what work experience I should do I'm so confused I need help , advice and suggestions it would be really helpful
Hi guys I'm a girl also in year 9 and I'm very Gucci , Channel and New York if you know what I mean ( the best way to describe myself ) I'm going to do my work experience in 2016 and I have no idea how to apply or ask companies for the work experience , worst of all I have no idea what I want to be in the future so I don't know what work experience I should do
I'm so confused I need help , advice and suggestions ,
@MrMackyTv Brilliant OP!
Just wanna say good luck to all the year 10s and that you're all gonna do great :yes:
Original post by Liza Valle
Hi guys I'm a girl also in year 9 and I'm very Gucci , Channel and New York if you know what I mean ( the best way to describe myself ) I'm going to do my work experience in 2016 and I have no idea how to apply or ask companies for the work experience , worst of all I have no idea what I want to be in the future so I don't know what work experience I should do I'm so confused I need help , advice and suggestions it would be really helpful

Hey! I'm going to Year 11 in September and I did my work experience this year (Y10). If your work experience is with school, I would wait until they tell you more about what you need to do and don't worry too much now- unless they've told you to think about it over summer. If you're organising it personally, away from school, then don't panic first of all. :tongue: Your work experience, especially in Year 10, is there to give you experience and it doesn't necessarily have to be in the sector you want to be a part of in the future. You could think of places you wouldn't mind learning more about or working at for your work experience!

As for applying, I think it's best to contact the placement/company directly. So going to the office or emailing them (if meeting them is not a viable option). Maybe plan what you are going to say before. + Don't be afraid about rejection either because there are so many places you can ask! :biggrin: It is a whole lot simpler than you think it will be!

If you need anymore advice you can quote me. + I'm sure other Y10s and students in other years will be happy to help. :h:
Good Luck all Year 9's going into Year 10. Year 10 is really fun, enjoy it and stay organised - it helps!! :u:
Original post by Liza Valle
Hi guys I'm a girl also in year 9 and I'm very Gucci , Channel and New York if you know what I mean ( the best way to describe myself ) I'm going to do my work experience in 2016 and I have no idea how to apply or ask companies for the work experience , worst of all I have no idea what I want to be in the future so I don't know what work experience I should do
I'm so confused I need help , advice and suggestions ,

Hey there! :hi:

First off, are you doing work experience through school or of your own accord?
If you're doing it through school, then they'll tell you when to start asking and probably give you a list of nearby places you could apply to- they might even help organise it for you :h: If this is the way, then don't do anything until the school tell you to- you might accidentally apply for a work experience place at a time when school want you to be in school.
If you're organising yourself, then email/phone/go to every place that you can nearby. Write up a CV and have it with you in case they ask for it. If you're emailing or phoning then it's easy- just ask if they offer work experience and sum up your situation. The worst they can say is no, and then you move onto the next one :smile:
Reply 14
I'm 14 and going into yr 10 any tips on (i)GCSEs
btw I'm doing Art,German,History,Geography, Latin, Chemistry and Biology any advice for any of those subjects ●ᴥ●
cheers
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Frodokins
@MrMackyTv Brilliant OP!

Thanks! :smile:
My Introduction to the thread :smile:

- Hi my names is MrMackyTv, and I am going to be in Year 10 come september
- I love playing Minecraft, League of Legends and watching YouTube. I also like learning new things!
- 11 GCSE's, as far as I know.
- I am taking Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, English (literature + language), Religious Studies, ICT, Geography, History and French. :smile:
- I think I am ready for the new GCSE's, give me everything you got :tongue:
- I like Geography, Maths, Physics and History. I find all four very interesting, but that doesn't mean I don't like my other subjects I am doing.
-I am unsure about what I want to do, I would like to wait until I finish my GCSE's before I decide on what path to take :smile:
- I feel eager and a bit anxious but I am going to try and make this year a happy year :biggrin:

:banana2::banana:Lets get the party started! :banana::banana2:
(edited 8 years ago)
Hello. I'm Gribby2 and I'll be taking 11/12 GCSEs next year (depending on whether or not I get into triple science- I really hope I do).
I'm taking Art, History and Geography, as well as the core subjects.
My interests include horse-riding, drawing and writing stories.
Personally, I think the new GCSEs are rather pointless and I don't really see why the government felt the need to change everything. I rather feel it is so they can claim to have made improvements within the education sector.
I am a tad nervous about going into Year 10, but at least I would feel that there was a purpose for it all, whereas you're not working towards a specific target in lower school.
Currently, I would say my favourite sunject is Art and it is also the subject I do best in, followed by R.E, History and English. My least favourite subject is Maths.
There are a number of careers I would consider, though I am easily bored and would probably prefer to switch between different jobs or have multiple part time jobs rather than work in just one job.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Gribby2
Hello. I'm Gribby2 and I'll be taking 11/12 GCSEs next year (depending on whether or not I get into triple science- I really hope I do).
I'm taking Art, History and Geography, as well as the core subjects.
My interests include horse-riding, drawing and writing stories.
Personally, I think the new GCSEs are rather pointless and I don't really see why the government felt the need to change everything. I rather feel it is so they can claim to have made improvements within the education sector.
I am a tad nervous about going into Year 10, but at least I would feel that there was a purpose for it all, whereas you're not working towards a specific target in lower school.
Currently, I would say my favourite sunject is Art and it is also the subject I do best in, followed by R.E, History and English. My least favourite subject is Maths.
There are a number of careers I would consider, though I am easily bored and would probably prefer to switch between different jobs or have multiple part time jobs rather than work in just one job.

Welcome to the thread! I agree with you about the changes but I see this as a positive as well because if we do bad the grade boundaries are going to be low. So not all is bad :smile:
Original post by MrMackyTv
Welcome to the thread! I agree with you about the changes but I see this as a positive as well because if we do bad the grade boundaries are going to be low. So not all is bad :smile:

Thanks. Hopefully, the grade boundaries will indeed be low. :smile:

Latest