The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Had an alright day today ... For English Literature, I'm analysing the characteristics of Scrooge in A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. Maths was an interesting lesson despite that the task was genuinely easy as we had a bit of banter involved. History was again a slow lesson and she was kind of moaning about my long essay for that exam question she gave me.
Original post by JTran38
Had an alright day today ... For English Literature, I'm analysing the characteristics of Scrooge in A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. Maths was an interesting lesson despite that the task was genuinely easy as we had a bit of banter involved. History was again a slow lesson and she was kind of moaning about my long essay for that exam question she gave me.

We were analysing Scrooge a couple of lessons ago :smile: Now we're contrasting him with other characters but we've still only got to page 9! Our maths teacher has just come over from Canada so we have loads of stories about his childhood lol haven't done much maths yet though. I find history is always either really slow or too much writing and I can't keep up lol
Original post by Lemur14
We were analysing Scrooge a couple of lessons ago :smile: Now we're contrasting him with other characters but we've still only got to page 9! Our maths teacher has just come over from Canada so we have loads of stories about his childhood lol haven't done much maths yet though. I find history is always either really slow or too much writing and I can't keep up lol

Lool, you can give me a head start with Scrooge's characteristics etc, I'm on page 5/6 in Stave one. For History, I'm ahead with the work as my teacher balances the amount we write and on videos or other tasks.
Literally, I hate rain. I hate it.

The train was late, and the next didn't go to my prefered destination. And then, it took ages for the bus to come, and it wasn't even the best bus I could take. But after 15 minutes waiting I realized that it was my best option.

It took close to 30 minutes on that bus to get home.. it goes double the length it takes than the one I usually take. I only came home half an hour ago, and I was starving. I don't eat lunch, I prefer eating a late one so I can fuel through the evening.

In English I'm studying Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde. We've just gone through the first chapter, and the amount of bants in our class is crazy. Our teacher doesn't show much emotion, but he certainly makes jokes which makes everyone laugh. Everytime anyone talks, he tells them to shut up (in a funny way!) and tells them to stop having their head spin around like the exodus child. Also, during the class, this girl forgot her science book and got a detention, and everyone went OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO which made my teacher laugh so hard, it was certainly memorable. It sucks though, minimum detention time is now 30 minutes. And I keep having my **** stolen by the 5th dimension, I'm so scared I'll screw up and go through that. I've only had detentions for 10-15 minutes, mainly for forgetting my PE kit (courtesy of the 5th dimension) and I'm in set 1 for pe.

Sorry if that was long winded, I'm literally so fed up with my long journey home. And now I have to go through half an hour tutoring, adjfkaoihnabsdf
Oh and I'll be studying An Inspector Calls & Poetry in English. I'm happy that I won't do scrooge, and do something new though. An Inspector Calls was so interesting. I watched it on BBC a few days ago, David Thewlis was amazing omg omg omg omg omg omg omg AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

(I love HP if that wasn't obvious just thinking about Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find them makes me sqeal and my mum just gave a weird look yeah I should stop bye)
Original post by caseynh
Literally, I hate rain. I hate it.

The train was late, and the next didn't go to my prefered destination. And then, it took ages for the bus to come, and it wasn't even the best bus I could take. But after 15 minutes waiting I realized that it was my best option.

It took close to 30 minutes on that bus to get home.. it goes double the length it takes than the one I usually take. I only came home half an hour ago, and I was starving. I don't eat lunch, I prefer eating a late one so I can fuel through the evening.

In English I'm studying Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde. We've just gone through the first chapter, and the amount of bants in our class is crazy. Our teacher doesn't show much emotion, but he certainly makes jokes which makes everyone laugh. Everytime anyone talks, he tells them to shut up (in a funny way!) and tells them to stop having their head spin around like the exodus child. Also, during the class, this girl forgot her science book and got a detention, and everyone went OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO which made my teacher laugh so hard, it was certainly memorable. It sucks though, minimum detention time is now 30 minutes. And I keep having my **** stolen by the 5th dimension, I'm so scared I'll screw up and go through that. I've only had detentions for 10-15 minutes, mainly for forgetting my PE kit (courtesy of the 5th dimension) and I'm in set 1 for pe.

Sorry if that was long winded, I'm literally so fed up with my long journey home. And now I have to go through half an hour tutoring, adjfkaoihnabsdf

I had to wait for the damn bus only to have it delayed by more than 15 mins due to dome damn taxi protest in Central London. The rain didn't help at all and I came back home all soaking wet and my hair ruined.

Personally I believe you should be eating lunch earlier and not later as you need that energy to learn.

In terms of banter, I do have a bit of banter in my Chemistry/Physics class but it's at an acceptable level same with Maths.
Original post by caseynh
Oh and I'll be studying An Inspector Calls & Poetry in English. I'm happy that I won't do scrooge, and do something new though. An Inspector Calls was so interesting. I watched it on BBC a few days ago, David Thewlis was amazing omg omg omg omg omg omg omg AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

(I love HP if that wasn't obvious just thinking about Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find them makes me sqeal and my mum just gave a weird look yeah I should stop bye)

I'm doing A Christmas Carol for English Literature and I'm currently doing Unseen Texts in English Language. It's likely that I'll do either Macbeth or The Tempest for Shakespeare again and I think I might do Animal Farm as well.
Original post by JTran38
I had to wait for the damn bus only to have it delayed by more than 15 mins due to dome damn taxi protest in Central London. The rain didn't help at all and I came back home all soaking wet and my hair ruined.

Personally I believe you should be eating lunch earlier and not later as you need that energy to learn.

In terms of banter, I do have a bit of banter in my Chemistry/Physics class but it's at an acceptable level same with Maths.

I heard about the protest on the radio while on the bus, I heard excessive honking the background. I'm sorry to hear about that.

Oh, and I do eat at lunch/break, but not much. I also eat a heavy breakfast. It's just that I can't go an evening without sleeping (and I don't wake up) if I don't eat a proper meal when I come home, and I feel sick when eating a full meals without many hours inbetween. I used to have a mental health problem as well, and it's still hard to get over it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Oh, and I forgot - I'll be doing Macbeth. I find it interesting, as we did it in drama last year, and I did want to learn more about it but never got the time for it.
Original post by caseynh
I heard about the protest on the radio while on the bus, I heard excessive honking the background. I'm sorry to hear about that.

Oh, and I do eat at lunch/break, but not much. I also eat a heavy breakfast. It's just that I can't go an evening without sleeping (and I don't wake up) if I don't eat a proper meal when I come home, and I feel sick when eating a two full meals very close after each other. I used to have a mental health problem, and it's still hard to get over it.

I lost my headphones so I couldn't listen to LBC on my phone. Need to buy another one :/

At least you have a heavy breakfast as I will wonder how you'll survive the day if you didn't.

Someone tell me when will this torrential downpour will end. Any Geography experts such as @MrMackyTv ? :P
Original post by JTran38
I lost my headphones so I couldn't listen to LBC on my phone. Need to buy another one :/

At least you have a heavy breakfast as I will wonder how you'll survive the day if you didn't.

Someone tell me when will this torrential downpour will end. Any Geography experts such as @MrMackyTv ? :P

I wasn't on yesterday, and I know this is so weird, but I listen to LBC as well. I only listen to it at about 6:40-7:30, the time I go to school, and at 15-16. My mum and I listen to it when we take take drives in the car, it's a good radio station. It's where I heard the honking.

It's weird how we have so much in common!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by caseynh
I wasn't on yesterday, and I know this is so weird, but I listen to LBC as well. I only listen to it at about 6:40-7:30, the time I go to school, and at 15-16. My mum and I listen to it when we take take drives in the car, it's a good radio station. It's where I heard the honking.

It's weird how we have so much in common!

I don't normally listen to LBC in the morning and as school is nearby to me I get up at 7am Mon-Fri. I do indeed listen to it when I'm in the car and I love the discussions between the callers.

Lol at the fact we have so much in common.
Original post by JTran38
Lool, you can give me a head start with Scrooge's characteristics etc, I'm on page 5/6 in Stave one. For History, I'm ahead with the work as my teacher balances the amount we write and on videos or other tasks.

We basically thought of words for him (eg grumpy, greedy, selfish) and looked them up in a thesaurus. We're not allowed to take our books home (as some particularly stupid person in the English department told our new teacher that we don't take books home) which is a complete pain as you can't write up any of your notes etc. so I can't think of many now I think we decided he was cankerous or something as well as self-centred etc. will try and have a look tomorrow for you but we only did his characteristics for page 1-2 so you may have got further than us anyway :smile:
Original post by Lemur14
We basically thought of words for him (eg grumpy, greedy, selfish) and looked them up in a thesaurus. We're not allowed to take our books home (as some particularly stupid person in the English department told our new teacher that we don't take books home) which is a complete pain as you can't write up any of your notes etc. so I can't think of many now I think we decided he was cankerous or something as well as self-centred etc. will try and have a look tomorrow for you but we only did his characteristics for page 1-2 so you may have got further than us anyway :smile:

Yeah, I was doing stuff about Scrooge being arrogant etc and then making points backed up with evidence and analysis so we can write our PEAR paragraphs. I also got double English tomorrow so I see how it'll go.
Original post by JTran38
Yeah, I was doing stuff about Scrooge being arrogant etc and then making points backed up with evidence and analysis so we can write our PEAR paragraphs. I also got double English tomorrow so I see how it'll go.

PEAR I assume stands for point evidence analysis r(something, no clue) We PEE(point evidence explain), PEED (PEE plus develop) and PEEL (PEE plus link)
Original post by Lemur14
PEAR I assume stands for point evidence analysis r(something, no clue) We PEE(point evidence explain), PEED (PEE plus develop) and PEEL (PEE plus link)

PEAR - Point, Evidence, Analysis and Reader Response?
PEE - Point, Evidence, Explanation
PEEL - Point, Evidence, Evaluation/Explanation and Link
PEARS - Point, Evidence, Analysis, Reader Response and Social/Historical Context
ahhh I just hope that it all goes well! :colondollar: :biggrin:
Sorry for not keeping you updated!

Tuesday was a bit of a long day. The worst was ICT because my ICT teacher was shouting at everyone the whole lesson. I managed to earn a merit (achievement point) on my system because I did what she asked, which was to make an animated logo. I made it with photoshop, still in the process of making it but it's not that hard really.

Yesterday, Wednesday, wasn't too bad either. Maths was alright but she raged at some kid in my class because he kept interupting her. She is more helpful than she was in year 8 and in control, but sometimes it just looks like she hates teaching... Physics we had a cover teacher in the computer room and I quickly finished my work to talk about my outing on the weekend with my mates and how much I love starbucks xD. Then lastly History, she raged at the new kid not realising he was new until she looked at the seating plan. She raged because he didn't do his homework to a "GCSE standard" and then she later apologised and asked "I was harsh, wasn't I?" xD.

Anyways I am now on my way to school :frown: and I need to revise my Geography keywords about ecosystems because I have that first period :tongue:
Original post by MrMackyTv
Sorry for not keeping you updated!

Tuesday was a bit of a long day. The worst was ICT because my ICT teacher was shouting at everyone the whole lesson. I managed to earn a merit (achievement point) on my system because I did what she asked, which was to make an animated logo. I made it with photoshop, still in the process of making it but it's not that hard really.

Yesterday, Wednesday, wasn't too bad either. Maths was alright but she raged at some kid in my class because he kept interupting her. She is more helpful than she was in year 8 and in control, but sometimes it just looks like she hates teaching... Physics we had a cover teacher in the computer room and I quickly finished my work to talk about my outing on the weekend with my mates and how much I love starbucks xD. Then lastly History, she raged at the new kid not realising he was new until she looked at the seating plan. She raged because he didn't do his homework to a "GCSE standard" and then she later apologised and asked "I was harsh, wasn't I?" xD.

Anyways I am now on my way to school :frown: and I need to revise my Geography keywords about ecosystems because I have that first period :tongue:

Seems like you didn't have a great week so far. Don't worry about the slow updates lol ... I need to do more revising this year than procrastinating about those A/B grades at the end of Year 10. - Not been doing too well so far but I always do the H/W I have.
Original post by JTran38
Seems like you didn't have a great week so far. Don't worry about the slow updates lol ... I need to do more revising this year than procrastinating about those A/B grades at the end of Year 10. - Not been doing too well so far but I always do the H/W I have.

This week could have been better but it's okay :smile:.

Today was alright. I had geography first and the test has been postponed to next week! :biggrin: During Geography, there was a fire drill and my school has one of the loudest fire alarms ever, it felt like my ears were going to burst! Then we had ICT and she kept slamming her hand on her desk and cabinet to get attention, ICT is officially the one I dread the most now. Then we had English which was a bit better but we have a essay to write in class in a weeks time so I am going to prepare for that. Maths we had a cover teacher who just talked about DT... Then French was the second worst. I forgot my books and she made a face at me. Then when I asked for toilets she moaned in french.... Then the whole class starts to mess around and she gave us a long shouty lecture about our behaviour and how we cannot do this at GCSE...

Anyways apart from that today was alright. I am on my way home right now so when I reach there I am probably going to get started with my homework :smile:

Latest