The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Soo... today.

As you all know, I'm pretty much the most forgetful and least organized person on this planet (ooopsie). So, I forgot to sign my contact book, and went all panicky. As the teachers now give 30 minute detentions, I decided that was most definately not for me. My parents know that I spent the whole weekend in my room studying, I didn't even have that much free time because of the stupid hw timetable. They also know I'm hardworking, and I've never really had detentions before, except for forgetting my PE kit (woops).

... So I fake signed it, I guess? A half hour detention is just half an hour wasted of my life, and besides I've got tons of hw to do now.

It was a good day, I guess. MUCH better than yesterday. I think I'm getting to like Tuesdays a lot more, so that's a good thing. I asked the head of computing about me doing Computer Science outside of school, he said he'll go through it with me next week. My dad's a very successful IT contractor currently at Alpha Centauri (no not the star system) so he can teach me most of the theory. Yaay. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
I also forgot - I had historical society with at lunch today. After basically forcing my best friend, we went in with our other close friend, and I was nervous. There were sixth formers and y11s, and I was really nervous. I knew all the answers, and the perfect responses to the topic of war crimes, but I couldn't put my hand up. My best friend encouraged me too, so I eventually did. :P

On the two instances I put my hand up my voice was trembly and my voice was all weird. It was good to get it out though, and the two history teachers said it was a very good response. God, I was nervous. I don't think anyone knew what I was going on about though, (the sixth formers stared at me weirdly) except the history teachers, and my best friend said it was amazing, but she didn't really know what it was about.

WOOOO IM ON A ROLL :biggrin:
Original post by JTran38
22/09/15

This morning was a complete nightmare ... The change with splitting up the Computing students and the IT students happened but I've ended up with the HOD teaching me yet again whilst the IT students have the new teacher who was teaching me until now. The lesson is now less disruptive as we've been separated however I dislike the teacher as he's kind of strict on use. Also the guy who competes with me over a seat with the guy I work well with have own and unfortunately I sit on my own.

Pros - More work done
Cons - Isolated in the class

For double French it was alright but I mucked up my paragraph for the work she made us do - She wants my book first thing tomorrow for marking so I'll be doing that paragraph again this evening. Too much disruption and people distracting me.

Science ... My mates though it was funny to wind me up about Set 1 and 2 getting a teacher swap which I didn't believe as I had spoken to my Chemistry/Physics teacher at Lunch (in the canteen) on Monday and he didn't mention about that. Anyways, we had a great lesson finishing off C1 but we still have a few more lessons to go before starting P1. I have Biology on Thursday and I reckon it's not going to be great with the numerous Think-Pair-Share questions he's so obsessed of doing instead of the background knowledge we need to know.

I'm really sorry about your current situation in IT, that must suck :frown:Hope it works out :smile: As for siting alone, I personally find it more relaxing. The only problem is when there's group work, but usually I just write down my own thoughts in my book. Often when I sit next to people I don't talk to them because they don't talk to me, and for PA or discussions I just do them by myself. :/
Original post by caseynh
haha xD

I always use Wikipedia for information, I just rephrase. I only go on the complete documents - you can always see the sources, which I check, and if the document is semi-locked or say peer assessed a number of times. It's not always dodgy, I don't understand why teachers get so mad by it. It's much easier than using at least 5-6 sources, it's all there :P

I guess I was ignorant back then and the thing I copied from WiKi wasn't even relevant so the teacher made me look like a complete fool. :frown: #DontUseWiki
Original post by caseynh
I'm really sorry about your current situation in IT, that must suck :frown:Hope it works out :smile: As for siting alone, I personally find it more relaxing. The only problem is when there's group work, but usually I just write down my own thoughts in my book. Often when I sit next to people I don't talk to them because they don't talk to me, and for PA or discussions I just do them by myself. :/

I do Computing Casey and have the dreaded HOD teaching me. I hate feeling isolated but the people near me are quite arrogant and boast about and therefore I wouldn't work well with them. For Chemistry/Physics I had a new seating plan being trialled and sadly I'm separated from my mates but at least I'm next to the teacher's desk and that I have a mixture of people in my table. A few are arrogant but I can live with that.
Original post by JTran38
I do Computing Casey and have the dreaded HOD teaching me. I hate feeling isolated but the people near me are quite arrogant and boast about and therefore I wouldn't work well with them. For Chemistry/Physics I had a new seating plan being trialled and sadly I'm separated from my mates but at least I'm next to the teacher's desk and that I have a mixture of people in my table. A few are arrogant but I can live with that.

I'm doing computer science, I already did ICT on Edexcel last year. The HOD is only going to run through things for me, and tell me about what I need to do for my coursework.

As for arrogant people, I honestly can't be around them. The worst types are the ones whom are arrogant and who think they're amazingly smart, and whom are really mean. I know one, she's absolutely horrible to me and most people, and the only reason people are friends with her is because of her meanness.

In CS, I sit next to a bunch of people whom have "young parents." They bragged how their parents let them go out every night and stuff, saying "old" parents don't let you go on out and things like that. Obviously I don't talk to me, but it made me really despise popular opinion. I have so called "old" parents, and guess what? Because of that, my parents were able to afford an amazing experience where we travelled for 6 months to many, many countries. I wish people would finally understand that's it's not about age, and really, the fact that your parents let you go out until midnight on a school night is a good thing. #icrieveritym

I really hope everything works out for you! I hope your seating plan turns out to be a good one, seating plans can honestly be the horrible sometimes. Good luck! :smile:
Original post by caseynh
Soo... today.

As you all know, I'm pretty much the most forgetful and least organized person on this planet (ooopsie). So, I forgot to sign my contact book, and went all panicky. As the teachers now give 30 minute detentions, I decided that was most definately not for me. My parents know that I spent the whole weekend in my room studying, I didn't even have that much free time because of the stupid hw timetable. They also know I'm hardworking, and I've never really had detentions before, except for forgetting my PE kit (woops).

... So I fake signed it, I guess? A half hour detention is just half an hour wasted of my life, and besides I've got tons of hw to do now.

It was a good day, I guess. MUCH better than yesterday. I think I'm getting to like Tuesdays a lot more, so that's a good thing. I asked the head of computing about me doing Computer Science outside of school, he said he'll go through it with me next week. My dad's a very successful IT contractor currently at Alpha Centauri (no not the star system) so he can teach me most of the theory. Yaay. :smile:

I also forgot - I had historical society with at lunch today. After basically forcing my best friend, we went in with our other close friend, and I was nervous. There were sixth formers and y11s, and I was really nervous. I knew all the answers, and the perfect responses to the topic of war crimes, but I couldn't put my hand up. My best friend encouraged me too, so I eventually did. :P

On the two instances I put my hand up my voice was trembly and my voice was all weird. It was good to get it out though, and the two history teachers said it was a very good response. God, I was nervous. I don't think anyone knew what I was going on about though, (the sixth formers stared at me weirdly) except the history teachers, and my best friend said it was amazing, but she didn't really know what it was about.

WOOOO IM ON A ROLL :biggrin:

I'm glad that you had a better day than yesterday :smile:. Thanks for reminding me to get my planner signed tonight! They aren't that strict on planners but if it is consistent then they keep you behind, it is only the third week so a 30 minute detention sounds a bit harsh to me, and right now signing my planner is not my top priority. I'm sure people agree with me.
Original post by MrMackyTv
I'm glad that you had a better day than yesterday :smile:. Thanks for reminding me to get my planner signed tonight! They aren't that strict on planners but if it is consistent then they keep you behind, it is only the third week so a 30 minute detention sounds a bit harsh to me, and right now signing my planner is not my top priority. I'm sure people agree with me.

Ah, great that I can save someone from the same fate as I :P
Any of you doing DofE? I'm doing my application now.
Hey I started year 10 this year and I'm doing
English lit
English Lang
Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
History
Geography
Business/ict
French
Latin short course

We were meant to be doing our English literature this year but my English teacher has went on maternity leave so we have to do it a year later which is kinda annoying
Original post by nanakyei
Is anyone doing OCR Latin?
😵
Feel free to reply or message me if you are.

Btw my mocks are in two months (we do Latin GCSE in year 10) and it is not going too well. 😣

I'm doing ocr Latin too at the end of year 10 (I'm doing the short course) it's getting quite stressful as I find it hard to memorise vocab 😭 How are you finding it?
So today was really long. I have got a splitting headache, it's not nice it feels like my brain is being stabbed repeatedly...

English was quite boring, we took more notes on Macbeth and watch a few versions of it, nothing that exciting.

Maths was alright. Miss set homework for us to print off on the school site, but it didn't appear so she has given us an extra week to do the homework and she said she won't set another one on top of it, except MyMaths I think...

History was very boring. I managed to finish all my work before lunch and everyone kept on talking despite the teacher telling us not to. It is kinda hard not to talk if you're not learning anything from a teacher who doesn't even have a degree in the subject, it's not our fault the school is short-staffed so there is no reason for him to take his anger out on us. Anyways, I feel like I waste 50 mins every week in History, I cannot believe that they are doing this to us... Year 10s who are starting their GCSE's this year. Who cares, we are only GCSE students right? Ugh.

Then lastly we had ICT. ICT was absolutely horrible. We were answering some questions on word about database on Access, we had to create these queries and answer questions based on them. First of all, she claimed that we know what to do, when we clearly haven't learned (properly) about query making in Access. She then showed us, very briefly, how to do certain questions but what would have been better if she actually just took some time to teach us this then let us do the task, but she didn't. This lead to a lot of shouting, people getting sent out of the classroom, her smacking her hand on her desk and cabinet screaming her head off. Then one pupil decided to call her a "crackhead" and she said that she wasn't going to help us anymore (as in show the whole class how to do it), which isn't very helpful. What also didn't help was I was stuck on a question, had my hand in the air for about 5 mins, then when she realised I needed help she came to me and asked me "did you ask the person next to you before you asked me?" then I replied saying "yes", she then claimed I didn't because I wouldn't have to call her, that's not necessarily the truth and then she walked off, helpful, very helpful. I wonder if I can ask to switch classes for ICT because my ICT teacher cannot control the class properly without slamming on her desk, and even if she explains things, she doesn't make it very clear and she still isn't helpful when individuals ask for help. I have her this week Thursday Period 3 after break and I am absolutley dreading it.

Tuesdays are the worst.
Original post by caseynh
Any of you doing DofE? I'm doing my application now.

Unfortunately not, I don't know if I would have the time to do it.
Original post by caseynh
I'm doing computer science, I already did ICT on Edexcel last year. The HOD is only going to run through things for me, and tell me about what I need to do for my coursework.

As for arrogant people, I honestly can't be around them. The worst types are the ones whom are arrogant and who think they're amazingly smart, and whom are really mean. I know one, she's absolutely horrible to me and most people, and the only reason people are friends with her is because of her meanness.

In CS, I sit next to a bunch of people whom have "young parents." They bragged how their parents let them go out every night and stuff, saying "old" parents don't let you go on out and things like that. Obviously I don't talk to me, but it made me really despise popular opinion. I have so called "old" parents, and guess what? Because of that, my parents were able to afford an amazing experience where we travelled for 6 months to many, many countries. I wish people would finally understand that's it's not about age, and really, the fact that your parents let you go out until midnight on a school night is a good thing. #icrieveritym

I really hope everything works out for you! I hope your seating plan turns out to be a good one, seating plans can honestly be the horrible sometimes. Good luck! :smile:

Yeah, I have a bunch of arrogant people boasting about how intelligent they are and it's getting on my nerves. I would never consider myself as intelligent despite achieving Grade C/B, I'm just another average student. I hate the argument over how old/young parents treat their kids and what not, it's absolutely ridiculous and personally I hate the idea of parents letting their kids roam around in the middle of nowhere until midnight. Say if they were staying over during the holidays playing games or whatever, I can see the point but not when youths hang around until midnight causing violence on the streets and a possible unfortunate incident. I wish that some have some common sense, it would help honestly. Rant over ...

I got to my my French paragraph and read Stave two of A Christmas Carol until pg22.
Original post by Itsemziexoxo
English lit
English Lang
Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
History
Geography
Business/ict
French
Latin short course

We were meant to be doing our English literature this year but my English teacher has went on maternity leave so we have to do it a year later which is kinda annoying

:banana:Welcome to the club!:banana:

Sorry to hear your English teacher has went on maternity leave. It isn't all to bad is it? How has the first few weeks gone so far? Enjoyed it? :smile:
Original post by Itsemziexoxo
English lit
English Lang
Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
History
Geography
Business/ict
French
Latin short course

Welcome Aboard! :biggrin:
Original post by JTran38
Yeah, I have a bunch of arrogant people boasting about how intelligent they are and it's getting on my nerves. I would never consider myself as intelligent despite achieving Grade C/B, I'm just another average student. I hate the argument over how old/young parents treat their kids and what not, it's absolutely ridiculous and personally I hate the idea of parents letting their kids roam around in the middle of nowhere until midnight. Say if they were staying over during the holidays playing games or whatever, I can see the point but not when youths hang around until midnight causing violence on the streets and a possible unfortunate incident. I wish that some have some common sense, it would help honestly. Rant over ...

I got to my my French paragraph and read Stave two of A Christmas Carol until pg22.

Oh boy I am glad I have those "old" parents, because then I wouldn't be filled with the amount of ignorance they have. I have also over heard these conversations about how strict parents are, to be honest, I can see why my parents keep telling me to work hard, that's because they want to actually see me be successful and not waste my life and end up on the dole.... I know not every person on the dole is like that, most aren't fit to work, but like I have said in a debate, there is a minority that are fit to work but don't want to work, those people are wasting the taxpayers money and it drives me crazy to see people like my parents money go down the drain to some ignorant youths. Money not so well spent imo...
Original post by JTran38
22/09/15

This morning was a complete nightmare ... The change with splitting up the Computing students and the IT students happened but I've ended up with the HOD teaching me yet again whilst the IT students have the new teacher who was teaching me until now. The lesson is now less disruptive as we've been separated however I dislike the teacher as he's kind of strict on use. Also the guy who competes with me over a seat with the guy I work well with have own and unfortunately I sit on my own.

Pros - More work done
Cons - Isolated in the class

For double French it was alright but I mucked up my paragraph for the work she made us do - She wants my book first thing tomorrow for marking so I'll be doing that paragraph again this evening. Too much disruption and people distracting me.

Science ... My mates though it was funny to wind me up about Set 1 and 2 getting a teacher swap which I didn't believe as I had spoken to my Chemistry/Physics teacher at Lunch (in the canteen) on Monday and he didn't mention about that. Anyways, we had a great lesson finishing off C1 but we still have a few more lessons to go before starting P1. I have Biology on Thursday and I reckon it's not going to be great with the numerous Think-Pair-Share questions he's so obsessed of doing instead of the background knowledge we need to know.

Sorry to hear about your day
for Computing is there any way you can get someone near you to swap with your mate so you are near him at least? Though tbh it sounds like anything is better than the mixed class. If you need any help just shout and I'll see what I can do. We're starting the code in our CA tomorrow (according to rumour anyway) so I'm revising that this evening in the hope I can reproduce some it lol I'm useless at memorising
What's your French paragraph on? I might be able to help if I can remember anything lol. I think I have them typed up somewhere so if I did a paragraph on that I must have it somewhere about.
I agree with you on teacher swaps with set 1 even though I'm not at your school lol. I'm set 1B and set 1A have an amazing biology teacher and terrible chemistry/physics teachers so I really wouldn't want to swap as our chemistry teacher is amazing and our physics teachers is quite good.

My day was okay today-double history was good and we got our target grades (mine's an A). the lesson wasn't particularly exciting and we did spend one hour preparing for a 10 mark question which we're going to write last thing on Friday which wasn't particularly interesting.
Double business was really boring as usual but hopefully this will get more interesting or I'm in for a boring 2 years lol
Maths was okay - we discussed more about Canada (bacon this time lol). He says that British back bacon isn't real bacon so he's going to try and get a food tech for one of our maths lessons and let us have breakfast lol. Someone fell asleep and it was really funny because the teacher suggested we tried to throw a pen into his mouth and then everyone was just watching them in silence. We then had to do some maths but it will still okay (and really easy somehow lol)

I could have sworn I posted this earlier, I think there must be something up with my computer because it did this the other day as well :/
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MrMackyTv
So today was really long. I have got a splitting headache, it's not nice it feels like my brain is being stabbed repeatedly...

English was quite boring, we took more notes on Macbeth and watch a few versions of it, nothing that exciting.

Maths was alright. Miss set homework for us to print off on the school site, but it didn't appear so she has given us an extra week to do the homework and she said she won't set another one on top of it, except MyMaths I think...

History was very boring. I managed to finish all my work before lunch and everyone kept on talking despite the teacher telling us not to. It is kinda hard not to talk if you're not learning anything from a teacher who doesn't even have a degree in the subject, it's not our fault the school is short-staffed so there is no reason for him to take his anger out on us. Anyways, I feel like I waste 50 mins every week in History, I cannot believe that they are doing this to us... Year 10s who are starting their GCSE's this year. Who cares, we are only GCSE students right? Ugh.

Then lastly we had ICT. ICT was absolutely horrible. We were answering some questions on word about database on Access, we had to create these queries and answer questions based on them. First of all, she claimed that we know what to do, when we clearly haven't learned (properly) about query making in Access. She then showed us, very briefly, how to do certain questions but what would have been better if she actually just took some time to teach us this then let us do the task, but she didn't. This lead to a lot of shouting, people getting sent out of the classroom, her smacking her hand on her desk and cabinet screaming her head off. Then one pupil decided to call her a "crackhead" and she said that she wasn't going to help us anymore (as in show the whole class how to do it), which isn't very helpful. What also didn't help was I was stuck on a question, had my hand in the air for about 5 mins, then when she realised I needed help she came to me and asked me "did you ask the person next to you before you asked me?" then I replied saying "yes", she then claimed I didn't because I wouldn't have to call her, that's not necessarily the truth and then she walked off, helpful, very helpful. I wonder if I can ask to switch classes for ICT because my ICT teacher cannot control the class properly without slamming on her desk, and even if she explains things, she doesn't make it very clear and she still isn't helpful when individuals ask for help. I have her this week Thursday Period 3 after break and I am absolutley dreading it.

Tuesdays are the worst.

Poor thing ... I now have the inevitable HOD teaching me Computing thanks to the changes made to separate the IT students from us and he's not that great to be honest but better than your IT teacher. I would highly recommend switching IT classes as it'll help.

History is also boring for me, still stuck on New Liberalism for x lessons and I'm getting annoyed as I want to move on. - I know a bit about Politics when we're doing New Liberalism so that comes in handy. Currently reading a lengthy biography of Blair's to broaden my knowledge on Politics.

Your lucky you have parents evening in January, I got mine in late November and I'm not looking forward to the waffles when commenting on how I'm doing in a certain topic. - My maths teacher will probably waste my time waffling on and on.
Original post by JTran38
Poor thing ... I now have the inevitable HOD teaching me Computing thanks to the changes made to separate the IT students from us and he's not that great to be honest but better than your IT teacher. I would highly recommend switching IT classes as it'll help.

History is also boring for me, still stuck on New Liberalism for x lessons and I'm getting annoyed as I want to move on. - I know a bit about Politics when we're doing New Liberalism so that comes in handy. Currently reading a lengthy biography of Blair's to broaden my knowledge on Politics.

Your lucky you have parents evening in January, I got mine in late November and I'm not looking forward to the waffles when commenting on how I'm doing in a certain topic. - My maths teacher will probably waste my time waffling on and on.

It is going to be hard, and I think news would spread and she would delibrately target me if I got rejected and had to stay in the class (most likely would happen). So I'm not sure on what to do, at my school I don't think we can do that but if it gets to a really bad point then I will request to be moved.

At least you got a teacher who actually has the degree :frown:

I don't mind parents evening, as long as the teacher doesn't exaggerate any little things that happened or make up little fairy tales, it has happened.

Latest