The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What is that?
Could u put up a link so I could sign it please?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Glitzmania
In my last french writing controlled assessment I got a C i was devastated however I got a speaking one coming up any tipsin order to get the top marks

Complex structures. Lots of them. If you possibly can, including A-Level stuff will impress your teacher a lot. However, you can still got top marks without them so don't worry too much. Try to practise listening to French people to improve pronounciation and fluency. The most important thing though, is to relax before - it's not as scary as you'd think, don't work yourself up beforehand!!!
Original post by JTran38
Just signed that myself ... Worth signing.

Original post by Foreverton
Yeah plus we have so much anyway Shakespeare modern 19th century seen poetry and unseen poetry. I don't really want to have to remember a million quotes as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Lemur14
I signed that a while back. It's an English exam not a memory exam!

I have also signed it because I don't know how I am suppose to memorise loads of lines from poems, plays and novels over a 2 year course by heart. Same thing is happening in Maths too, we have to remember formulas now (science as well) which is stupid. What should be important is applying the knowledge of the material into practice. Don't you think we already have to memorise enough?

Tbh, I have kept quite about this but I am struggling to remember quotes from just ONE topic in English. Not only that, I have to memorise all the notes I wrote next to it which is irritating. I want to see their response to this, doubt they're going to do anything about it though...
Original post by haseeb798
What is that?
Could u put up a link so I could sign it please?

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/121692

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrMackyTv
I have also signed it because I don't know how I am suppose to memorise loads of lines from poems, plays and novels over a 2 year course by heart. Same thing is happening in Maths too, we have to remember formulas now (science as well) which is stupid. What should be important is applying the knowledge of the material into practice. Don't you think we already have to memorise enough?

Tbh, I have kept quite about this but I am struggling to remember quotes from just ONE topic in English. Not only that, I have to memorise all the notes I wrote next to it which is irritating. I want to see their response to this, doubt they're going to do anything about it though...

I remember doing Dulce Est Decorum Est back in Y9 and got a quote slightly wrong which was annoying.
Don't we have to memorise like 12 or so poems for AQA? I've doing three literature mock exams for unseen poetry, Blood Brothers and Romeo and Juliet. I think I can handle Blood Brothers and Romeo and Juliet, but memorising like 12 poems seems absolutely impossible...

I thought we didn't have to memorise the science formulas but the year below us do? Or at any rate that was what we were told. Of course there's formulas which just aren't on the formula sheet which we have to memorise but I'm pretty sure we get some of them (the obvious ones mostly :frown:)
Original post by chloedelrey
Don't we have to memorise like 12 or so poems for AQA? I've doing three literature mock exams for unseen poetry, Blood Brothers and Romeo and Juliet. I think I can handle Blood Brothers and Romeo and Juliet, but memorising like 12 poems seems absolutely impossible...

We're doing the power and conflict cluster and we have 15 poems to do. We get one of them in the exam and have to compare it to another (but of course we don't know which one it will be so have to memorise the whole lot :frown:)
We have our unseen poetry mock on Monday and we did our A Christmas Carol mock in December. Then we'll do a seen poetry mock in May some time.
Its 15 poem's
Its 15 poem's

which cluster are you doing?
Original post by Lemur14
I thought we didn't have to memorise the science formulas but the year below us do? Or at any rate that was what we were told. Of course there's formulas which just aren't on the formula sheet which we have to memorise but I'm pretty sure we get some of them (the obvious ones mostly :frown:)

Sorry what I meant by "science as well" is that we already have to memorise keywords and definitions and how things work so them making us memorise formulas for Maths and quotes for English is ridiculous. Some people I know of in school have also signed the petition and I hope the either sorts it out, or has a reasonable explanation to which why they wouldn't change it.
Sorry what I meant by "science as well" is that we already have to memorise keywords and definitions and how things work so them making us memorise formulas for Maths and quotes for English is ridiculous. Some people I know of in school have also signed the petition and I hope the either sorts it out, or has a reasonable explanation to which why they wouldn't change it.

Ah, I see. Yes, we do have an awful lot to remember, particularly for subjects like history with all the dates and names.
Original post by Lemur14
We're doing the power and conflict cluster and we have 15 poems to do. We get one of them in the exam and have to compare it to another (but of course we don't know which one it will be so have to memorise the whole lot :frown:)
We have our unseen poetry mock on Monday and we did our A Christmas Carol mock in December. Then we'll do a seen poetry mock in May some time.

We've done Ozymandias, Bayonet Charge and two others (which I can't remember the names of!) so far. It's ridiculous, FIFTEEN?! I think we're doing Jekyll and Hyde for our novel. What grade did you get last time in lit?
Power and conflict

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you doing animal farm?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you doing animal farm?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing Romeo and Juliet for Shakespeare, A Christmas Carol for 19th Century novel and I'll be doing An Inspector Calls for modern text next term. From the research I have done, An Inspector Calls seems to be a very interesting text to study.
Hello, My name is Emily and I'm currently in Year 10. I'm doing 12 GCSEs-English Lit,English,Maths,Physics,Chemistry,Biology,Drama,Spanish,French,Welsh,Welsh Bac and Religious Studies.Any revision tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PixelatedOwl
I do some stuff in my own time. It's an independent school so we get some more options... Why are there so few WJEC people on here?

All my exams are all on the WJEC exam board too🙋🏻

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im doing remeo and juliet Shakespeare and Animal Farm is the 19th century novella. I don't know which modern text ill be doing but need to find out. You doing literature as well?
How do you revise for English language?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest