The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Guys can u help?I've done mindmaps for revision...and I'm in advance preparation for exams
So say if I had a proper exam coming up for p1,I just get my notes out and yeh!but I don't know how to use them...do I read off them one by one?or do I create question cards as well?howndoni use full mindmaps?pls help
Reply 381
I just bought a USB, I'm planning on buying flash cards.
I've lost my bus pass and Pencil Case :frown:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 0lut0

Posted from TSR Mobile

Year 10 was the first time I've ever kept a pencil case for the whole year :biggrin:

Are you gonna buy new ones?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by skhan99
Guys can u help?I've done mindmaps for revision...and I'm in advance preparation for exams
So say if I had a proper exam coming up for p1,I just get my notes out and yeh!but I don't know how to use them...do I read off them one by one?or do I create question cards as well?howndoni use full mindmaps?pls help

Personally, I prefer creating simple notes rather than a mind map as I find them clearer to interpret, however I can tell you how I use mind maps to revise :smile:
1. I add colour to my mind-maps. If you have not already done this, get some multi-coloured pens or preferably, some highlighters and colour-code your mindmap. Or, if you feel your mindmap contains a lot of information, highlight or underline key points and ideas.
2. Read over the mindmap. First, look at the centre topic which your mindmap revolves around. Then look at all the headings. Then move onto the subheadings and etc. This way you're focusing on the mindmap as a whole and can get an overall understanding of the main topic/ question.
3. Go through each heading in detail. This time, you are trying to acquire specific knowledge on each topic and a precise understanding of the main topic.
4. Create flash cards. Write a question on one side. Then, on the reverse write a clear, concise answer. Try to make it a model answer by including key words and key points but don't go overboard, it should be concise and it shouldn't include irrelevant information or anything that doesn't directly answer the question. For flash cards, you can test yourself: Every time you get an answer wrong, or simply don't know the answer, you put it in one pile and if you get it right, put it in another pile. Alternatively, you can create flash cards online or get an app, however I prefer using actual flash cards as I actually have to do the work of turning them over and so I am more likely to remember it, also I highly doubt you will be allowed your phone out during study periods, so these are really handy for last-minute revision before your exam.
Good luck and I hope I helped you slightly!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 0lut0

Posted from TSR Mobile

That must be horrible I never lost my bus pass before, you can get another application form from the post office :smile:

You're from London right?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Vanilla Cupcake
Edexcel French, what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
oh I'm doing AQA Spanish. I've heard French is harder, so good luck with that.
Original post by Mr...
AQA French

Oh. At least your doing the same exam board as me.
Are you guys preparing in any way as such as pre-revising or recapping on all the subjects?
Original post by Mr...
What language are you doing? Spanish

Yep

Okay I just asked because I'm confused where to start from;three like 2 weeks left before school starts. I guess I will just do science and maths-my weakest subjects.
Original post by Aniiforever
Are you guys preparing in any way as such as pre-revising or recapping on all the subjects?

Was supposed to look at my physics revision guide but that didn't really work out lol

I should probably look over my history and science stuff since they're so content heavy but I have zero motivation right now

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have been planning to do so for some of my subjects and make some notes, but I haven't gotten around to it yet... I don't think I'll ever get around to it :s-smilie: I'm a severe procrastinator, suffering from extreme laziness and so I always leave homework and revision until last-minute. Literally. I revised for my French mock exam 10 minutes before and my ICT mock 20 minutes before...

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. I personally think you should relax during the summer as a lot of your other holidays will be filled with revision

Posted from TSR Mobile
Was supposed to look at my physics revision guide but that didn't really work out lol

I should probably look over my history and science stuff since they're so content heavy but I have zero motivation right now

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh. Science revision never works out for me. Today I've just literally glanced at my additional science guide for 5 mins and eventually closed it. Are you doing triple science ?
Original post by MythicalSprinkle
I have been planning to do so for some of my subjects and make some notes, but I haven't gotten around to it yet... I don't think I'll ever get around to it :s-smilie: I'm a severe procrastinator, suffering from extreme laziness and so I always leave homework and revision until last-minute. Literally. I revised for my French mock exam 10 minutes before and my ICT mock 20 minutes before...

Posted from TSR Mobile
in the hols, I've only made notes on history, medicine through time in the first week or so and now I've lost all motivation to do anything. Ha! I'm a lazy freak too.
Original post by ScienceFantatic
No. I personally think you should relax during the summer as a lot of your other holidays will be filled with revision

Posted from TSR Mobile
yes, that's one way of thinking. That's the reason I'm not really doing anything much for moats of my subjects, I just really want to go through maths and science otherwise I'm literally going to fail them both. I'm so bad with it.
Oh. Science revision never works out for me. Today I've just literally glanced at my additional science guide for 5 mins and eventually closed it. Are you doing triple science ?

I find it really hard to revise for because just reading the textbook doesn't help. Sometimes I do mindmaps but they take forever so I'm not really sure what to do. Yup, on OCR Gateway. Dreading the controlled assessments next year, and doing B/P/C5 + 6

Posted from TSR Mobile
To ensure a smooth, somewhat painless transition into revision, I tried studying in Caffe Nero for the first time. Yes, there were the occasional crying babies and no, leaving my bag on the table to order wasn't the greatest of feelings, but my productivity level was off the chart. There's definitely something to be said about working in the warm and relaxing environment that is the Coffee shop.
(edited 8 years ago)
I find it really hard to revise for because just reading the textbook doesn't help. Sometimes I do mindmaps but they take forever so I'm not really sure what to do. Yup, on OCR Gateway. Dreading the controlled assessments next year, and doing B/P/C5 + 6

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes reading the textbook isn't a good way of revising. Mind maps is a lretty good way to revise and it does take up a lot of time but if you make the mind maps months now during summer or sometimes soon then all you will have to do in the exam period is just revise. Oh that must be pretty pressureful then. I'm doing double science, AQA so our coursework is just ISA which is the only thing that I'm good at with science.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hiya I'm doin OCR triple science and I am dreading couyraework too...mindmaps may take forever but the are helpful!want new to show u one??I've done p5 controlled assessment thank God but I've got catch up to do!!
Original post by MythicalSprinkle
Personally, I prefer creating simple notes rather than a mind map as I find them clearer to interpret, however I can tell you how I use mind maps to revise :smile:
1. I add colour to my mind-maps. If you have not already done this, get some multi-coloured pens or preferably, some highlighters and colour-code your mindmap. Or, if you feel your mindmap contains a lot of information, highlight or underline key points and ideas.
2. Read over the mindmap. First, look at the centre topic which your mindmap revolves around. Then look at all the headings. Then move onto the subheadings and etc. This way you're focusing on the mindmap as a whole and can get an overall understanding of the main topic/ question.
3. Go through each heading in detail. This time, you are trying to acquire specific knowledge on each topic and a precise
understanding of the main topic.

4. Create flash cards. Write a question on one side. Then, on the reverse write a clear, concise answer. Try to make it a model answer by including key words and key points but don't go overboard, it should be concise and it shouldn't include irrelevant information or anything that doesn't directly answer the question. For flash cards, you can test yourself: Every time you get an answer wrong, or simply don't know the answer, you put it in one pile and if you get it right, put it in another pile. Alternatively, you can create flash cards online or get an app, however I prefer using actual flash cards as I actually have to do the work of turning them over and so I am more likely to remember it, also I highly doubt you will be allowed your phone out during study periods, so these are really handy for last-minute revision before your exam.
Good luck and I hope I helped you slightly!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks that was extremely helpful much appreciated!!!!!!yeh so I've done most of that...soo wen it comes to the exam its preferable to make flashcards from them and use them too with the mindmaps?

Latest