The Student Room Group

Do unis look at your AS grades or A2 predictions?

Are A2 predictions made from your AS grades? I got B in AS Textiles, D in AS History and AS Computing and an E in AS Maths. I'm thinking about doing Textiles, history and maths next year (please don't ask why because my maths is the worst). I think I can improve much better next year but I'm worried that the unis wouldn't consider me when I apply because of my grades from AS.
Reply 1
I'm in exactly the same position. I got CCDE in AS but one of the C's I got is in the subject that I hated and that i'm dropping for A2. I hope uni's will take into consideration retakes and improved A2 grades; but i'm worried about as well :frown:
They'll look at your predictions in line with what you achieved. Eg, if you got CCC then a prediction of AAB may raise a few eyebrows. Best thing to do is apply to universities that are realistic in line with your predictions (whether it's grades or UCAS points they ask for).
Reply 3
Original post by smozsolution
They'll look at your predictions in line with what you achieved. Eg, if you got CCC then a prediction of AAB may raise a few eyebrows. Best thing to do is apply to universities that are realistic in line with your predictions (whether it's grades or UCAS points they ask for).

Ccc to aab looks dodgy
What about bbc to aaa?
Both. Someone I know got AABC at AS, but was given predictions of A*A*A*A* and applied for vetmed at the RVC. At first, she didn't get in, but they gave her an offer out of the blue. It was fine though because she got AAAA in the end, after retaking chemistry modules.
I think both, but they are not stupid. Predicting far above your AS results will mean they will just look at your AS results.

If you got BDE and your school predicts you AAA, they will not believe you.

If you are predicted BCC then maybe.
Reply 6
Original post by food.
Are A2 predictions made from your AS grades? I got B in AS Textiles, D in AS History and AS Computing and an E in AS Maths. I'm thinking about doing Textiles, history and maths next year (please don't ask why because my maths is the worst). I think I can improve much better next year but I'm worried that the unis wouldn't consider me when I apply because of my grades from AS.

Different for every school. Typically it's the same grade/grade above if >50% of the way to next grade. If you are given an unusual prediction (like an A when you achieved an E) then you can ask your reference to possibly explain the reason for the prediction.

Original post by Laurasaur
Both. Someone I know got AABC at AS, but was given predictions of A*A*A*A* and applied for vetmed at the RVC. At first, she didn't get in, but they gave her an offer out of the blue. It was fine though because she got AAAA in the end, after retaking chemistry modules.

Predicted 4A*s but only achieved 4As? Something is not quite right there with the system they use to predict A2s...and I have a funny feeling it has something to do with AS results...
Original post by Dylann
Predicted 4A*s but only achieved 4As? Something is not quite right there with the system they use to predict A2s...and I have a funny feeling it has something to do with AS results...

My sixth form isn't brilliant. The one teacher, who writes everyone's glowing references, can overpredict a student's grade if they think it will help them to get onto their course.
Original post by Laurasaur

I got AABC at AS and a prediction of A*AA at A2 - I finished with A*A*A so anything is possible if you work hard enough during A2.
Reply 9
Original post by Yellow636
I think both, but they are not stupid. Predicting far above your AS results will mean they will just look at your AS results.

If you got BDE and your school predicts you AAA, they will not believe you.

If you are predicted BCC then maybe.

What if my reference from one of the subjects explains that my D is from the lack of teachers at the college for history because I was predicted an A for AS
Original post by colourtheory
I got AABC at AS and a prediction of A*AA at A2 - I finished with A*A*A so anything is possible if you work hard enough during A2.

just got the exact same AS grades.
What offers did you get as in gradewise and uni?
Original post by whydoidothis?
just got the exact same AS grades.
What offers did you get as in gradewise and uni?

Edinburgh - BBB
Oxford - AAA
Exeter - A*AA
King's College London - AAA
University College London - A*AA

I'm now going into my second year of History at Oxford.
Original post by colourtheory
Edinburgh - BBB
Oxford - AAA
Exeter - A*AA
King's College London - AAA
University College London - A*AA

I'm now going into my second year of History at Oxford.

hey did you resit an exam for the subject you got a B on or did you just smash A2 exams?
Original post by grassntai
hey did you resit an exam for the subject you got a B on or did you just smash A2 exams?

It's actually a weird story. In my Art History AS I got an A in the first paper, and a D in the second. Turns out in put the wrong question in the margin and was penalised (given 0 on a 30 mark question). I re-sat and got 119/120, giving me 199/200 for the AS.

I then got an A* for the A2.
Original post by food.
What if my reference from one of the subjects explains that my D is from the lack of teachers at the college for history because I was predicted an A for AS

I am no admission tutor, so my opinion is irrelevant to be fair.

All I can tell you is that my friend got BCCD and got his predicted grades at ABB for A2 and applied to Lancaster university (entry was ABB) and he got an offer.

Another friend got ABBC and got predicted grades to AAA and applied for Durham (entry was AAB) and he did not get an offer.

I think it is very hit and miss, some universities will believe a large prediction increase, while another will not.

Remember one thing however, you still have to get the grades, predictions are not everything. In case you were interested, my friend who got BCCD never did get into Lancaster, so the offer was worthless.

Quick Reply

Latest