The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

UCL doesn't do any postgrads in Finance. (And I don't think they do Business either. The Economics postgrad is very academia orientated too.)

That top 10 is pretty brown.
Reply 1181
If you had the choice of the following courses/universities, which would you choose on the grounds of university atmosphere, university reputation in IB, course enjoyment factor (!) and course reputation in IB:

Maths & Statistics (Oxford)
Maths & Economics (LSE)
Maths with Statistics for Finance (Imperial)
MMORSE (Warwick)

These are what I am applying for post A-level later this year...if I was offered these I really wouldn't know what to do!
Reply 1182
AlphaX
If you had the choice of the following courses/universities, which would you choose on the grounds of university atmosphere, university reputation in IB, course enjoyment factor (!) and course reputation in IB:

Maths & Statistics (Oxford)
Maths & Economics (LSE)
Maths with Statistics for Finance (Imperial)
MMORSE (Warwick)

These are what I am applying for post A-level later this year...if I was offered these I really wouldn't know what to do!

Personally? I'd choose in the exact order you stated above.
Reply 1183
Knogle
Personally? I'd choose in the exact order you stated above.

Yes, that's probably the order I would choose ultimately, but LSE vs. Oxford is a very tough call.
Reply 1184
AlphaX
Yes, that's probably the order I would choose ultimately, but LSE vs. Oxford is a very tough call.

;yes; An enviable call you'd have to make. :smile:
which would you choose on the grounds of university atmosphere, university reputation in IB, course enjoyment factor (!) and course reputation in IB:

1) university atmosphere - depends on personal preference
2) university reputation in IB - well i doubt you'd be declined an interview based on university regardless of which you choose, but clearly there's one that stands out
3) course enjoyment factor - surely its a personal thing, but I'd go with M&E for enjoyment
4) course reputation in IB - The last three I'm sure will be mostly finance wannabes, not that course reputation will matter much if you go to oxford.

Base your decision on points 1 and 3, as all four options are good enough for investment banking, as long as you're the right type. To help you become the type (obsessive?) that gets you into banking, go to LSE. To keep all options open, in terms of the most elitist firms, go to Oxford.
Reply 1186
AlphaX

go to oxford of course. you can enjoy london later.
Reply 1187
wazzup
go to oxford of course. you can enjoy london later.

Very true...I suppose it would be a little stupid turning down a place at Oxford unless you had a very, very good reason.
AlphaX
Very true...I suppose it would be a little stupid turning down a place at Oxford unless you had a very, very good reason.

LSE - London as a student - Great reason :biggrin:.
Reply 1189
Crazster
LSE - London as a student - Great reason :biggrin:.

Reinforcing the point that such a choice is very difficult to make!
dude just decide when you come to that hurdle, trust me its a long time away and your head will be clearer with one years more experience.
Oxford.
Reply 1192
Big4Monkey
10 Bath
11 Loughborough
12 York
13 St Andrews
14 Edinburgh
15 Durham

[gap]
16 Reading (ISMA)
17 Manchester
18 Royal Holloway
19 City
(undergrad degrees)
20 Birmingham

Hmm I'd most definitely have Leicester up there somewhere in the top 20. It is widely regarded as a top 20 university overall now by the papers and the Maths department is particularly good, a good number of friends have made it into banking/finance. With a 1st in Maths I got a few offers and walked into a Mayfair hedge fund and am now raking it in. Never met a single grad from Royal Holloway on the other hand.
Reply 1193
Woops sorry for the huge font don't know how that happened!!
Reply 1194
deaneo
Hmm I'd most definitely have Leicester up there somewhere in the top 20. It is widely regarded as a top 20 university overall now by the papers and the Maths department is particularly good, a good number of friends have made it into banking/finance. With a 1st in Maths I got a few offers and walked into a Mayfair hedge fund and am now raking it in. Never met a single grad from Royal Holloway on the other hand.

For a hedge fund, yes, but it wouldn't get you on most banking programmes as leicester don't ask for high enough A level grades to mean that many of it's students wouldn't meet the 300-340 UCAS points minimum. There's a big difference between making it into banking/finance and making it onto a front office grad programme at a BB. Not necessarily in the quality of grads, but in terms of the A levels and university background needed.

It's a strange phenomenon - I bet many LSE/Oxbridge/UCL/Warwick students would have struggled to have done what you did, going straight into a HF. Yet you'd have not been able to do it the other way and go into an FO grad position. HFs and banks look for different things, as banks are far more willing to spend time and effort training a naturally bright person who knows little about finance, whereas a HF cares more about what you already know about finance. Which means banks look for grades, and HFs get far fewer applicants and look for far more market knowledge, but are less centred on university or A level grades.
Reply 1195
Drogue
For a hedge fund, yes, but it wouldn't get you on most banking programmes as leicester don't ask for high enough A level grades to mean that many of it's students wouldn't meet the 300-340 UCAS points minimum. There's a big difference between making it into banking/finance and making it onto a front office grad programme at a BB. Not necessarily in the quality of grads, but in terms of the A levels and university background needed.

Sorry I missed that this was rating "front office at a BB", just thought it was banking/finance in general. If that's the case then the 11-20 rankings are pretty meaningless, because from all of them less than 10 people a year are going to get into front office at a BB, wouldn't be surprised if it's 0 for some of them. Oxbridge, London, Warwick = like 80%+ of UK grads on front office BB grad schemes.
Reply 1196
Guys whats better between 1st in chem eng at UCL and 2:2 in comp sci at Imperial?
Reply 1197
v2006
Guys whats better between 1st in chem eng at UCL and 2:2 in comp sci at Imperial?

Were you ok when you wrote that?
This thread has to be the biggest load of junk ever.
Drogue

It's a strange phenomenon - I bet many LSE/Oxbridge/UCL/Warwick students would have struggled to have done what you did, going straight into a HF. Yet you'd have not been able to do it the other way and go into an FO grad position. HFs and banks look for different things, as banks are far more willing to spend time and effort training a naturally bright person who knows little about finance, whereas a HF cares more about what you already know about finance. Which means banks look for grades, and HFs get far fewer applicants and look for far more market knowledge, but are less centred on university or A level grades.

Yes....but many Hedge Fund are founded by people who learnt their stuff in i-banks first. Personally, there's no point in joining Hedge Funds straight after Unis. Deal flow is small relative to I banks and you won't learn how I-banking or wholesale banking works....... Also, many Head Fund Managers are Quant boffins, so unless you've got a very good pedigree.....there's no immediate benefit of joining one straight after UNI.
Better to start off in Sales & Trading of a reputed i-bank.....make it to trader....have your own book, and more importantly be part of the banks proprietary trading account. You learn **** if you're just trading and hedging client orders....Finally, consistently make huge P&Ls.....for about 10years....then if you get tired off the sight of your Line Manager.....quit and start a hedge fund.

A

Latest

Trending

Trending