The Student Room Group

How do you get over awful failure?

Scroll to see replies

I am feeling very depressed as well, I worked so hard but I still failed my AS.
I have also developed exam anxiety; I am not sure if I can ever remain calm in an exam, because I failed this year although doing enough revision.

I am thinking of retaking the year but I am not sure yet :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 21
My dad got fairly bad a level results, took a year out, scraped into uni and then ended up at oxford for a masters and a phd- some people just hit their academic peaks later/at a different time so dont give up hope if its not going great at the moment, next year might be your year *hugs*
Reply 22
Original post by strawberry06
I am feeling very depressed as well, I worked so hard but I still failed my AS.
I have also developed exam anxiety; I am not sure if I can ever remain calm in an exam, because I failed this year although doing enough revision.

I am thinking of retaking the year but I am not sure yet :frown:

Did you completely fail like UUU or did you just get C's?
If you got all U's then retake the year, if you got C's and D's then just retake some of the exams in A2.

I also have exam anxiety and cannot remain 100% focused in an exam.
It really sucks because I come into an exam all prepared and stuff but the exam hall is so intimidating.

I would suggest for your A2, ask your teacher if you can have more mocks in the hall so you get used to the environment.
In my college nearer to exam time, they used to lay out tables and people could just come in there with their past papers and time themselves, like in a proper exam.
Maybe request your college if they could do the same?

Also come into your exam at least 15 minutes early. Just sit there and clear your mind. It's much better than going over notes 5 minutes before the exam starts and then coming in panicking and thinking if you remember this and that.
Don't ever ever come to an exam late. It will completely mess up your head! Been there done that lol
Also take a water bottle with you. It will help you keep calm.

If your anxiety is really really bad then you can get anxiety pills but I wouldn't recommend that.
Original post by Anon_98
You have to breathe and remember that if you dont get over it then it'll totally affect everything you do this following year and you'll end up regretting it again next year and probably feel worse than you do rn. You dont want that to happen. You have the opportunity to change things and you can do it and you will do it...provided that you let go of the past. So forget about it bc what's done is done and no matter how much you think about it or think about all the possible scenarios that couldve occured it wont make a difference. Its the future that'll make up your success so that's where you need to try and focus. Have some Ice cream, read a book, watch a film, step outside of your house and get some fresh air. Dont hurt yourself by spending time thinking about whats happened, instead do things that'll make you forget. Then when youre certain you wont break down over the possible mention of "results" you can decide how youll spend the following weeks preparing for school or something. Hopefully you'll be able to put it behind you- it should be there for a reason and also hope you feel better soon. :hugs:

Thank you soooooo much. This really helped. A lot. <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
Original post by redleader1
I can sympathise, I was in the exact same positon and I failed to of my AS and passed the other two however they school were being absolute knobheads and said I couldnt retake or do my other two AS's that past. So I failed, got kicked out of school, lost the time with my friends, and also fell out with my crush. It was horrible and harsh, I was crying to I was looking at other schools looking for a way out. Then I went to college and I was very reluctant to go as I wanted to stay in school and college had a bad reputation. So then what happend I went to college and met new people, my tutor was really good too as he knew I was going through a bad time. The more I spoke to new people I got over it.

I knew exactly how your feeling, for me all my friends had passed and were ready go into A2 and uni, I had to leave them behind and carry on. Its a slow process what it is, basically realise you tried and put all of your effort in and tried which is what mattered. But now since I failed I had that drive and the 'no ****ing about' attitude to do well, thats how I got over it, I really wanted and needed to get the grades. Going to college was a great experience and I met some great people. Life has its ups and downs. I failed my A levels and now I have graduated uni with a 2.1. But use the mentality like I said now you would want to work harder and smash i the next time.

Dont know if your into the rock or WWE but watch this, this is how I felt and got over it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq7zOfXpk_E.

Quote me back :smile:

It feels sooo good to kinda know that people have been through the same thing. well done on your university degree!!! Thank you SO much for this response. It means a lot and is comforting and yet also motivating. Well done on everything!! xxxx
Original post by Lord Samosa
Just get you head down and work your arse off, I greatly improved my grades from jan exams in year 12 to the summer ones. (I think you guys dont do jan exams anymore?).

Whats happened has happened, stop dwelling on your poor grades and just focus on smashing the exams you do next. :yy:

Yeap we don't do January exams anymore, ever since I started A-levels anyway. I need to find a centre and basically independently study without school/college...gonna be lonely af lol. but thank you so much xxx
Original post by jandle
My dad got fairly bad a level results, took a year out, scraped into uni and then ended up at oxford for a masters and a phd- some people just hit their academic peaks later/at a different time so dont give up hope if its not going great at the moment, next year might be your year *hugs*

Thank you...this really helped! * hugs back * xxx
Original post by aneducation
Thank you soooooo much. This really helped. A lot. <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Aw, that's okay! :jumphug: I'll always be here if you ever need to talk. <3

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest