The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I imagine UCL & King's are more competitive than St Georges, but I don't really know.:biggrin:
Yep, UCL and kings are competitive. Umm... St Georges guarantees you an interview if you average an A in 8 subjects including English at A level.. JOKING!!! at GCSE.
And if you have got AAB prediction.

With UCL, if you get over 19 on the BMAT, you are guaranteed an interview. Getting 19 is solid. But i assume that getting into UCL after that is easier than say, kings and oxford.
I dont know about kings, but everyone in my school for the past 3 years has been rejected for medicine before interview bar 1 last year who got rejected after interview. And we do have a lot of kings applicants from our school

Ill stop my ramblings now and get on with my work.
Reply 3
Greenmile
I imagine UCL & King's are more competitive than St Georges, but I don't really know.:biggrin:

As far as London universities are concerned I would imagine there would be a higher proportion of applications per place for places like UCL and King's compared to St Georges more to do with the fact that places like UCL have a more "university environment" feel to them compared to St George's which is simply a hospital environment where the students are only studying healthcare related degrees.

As a rule of thumb all medical schools in the UK are extremely competetive to get into. I would say the unviersites which tend to give out the majority of their offers without interview tend to be quite tough to get into; Belfast, Edinburgh, Southampton, St Andrews (although St Andrews have no adopted a policy of beginning to interview applicants).

There is no doubt that Oxford and Cambridge would be considered the toughest due to the academic nature of the courses (and the interviews) and the high calibre of the average candidate that applies to them. I must point however, that Oxford and Cambridge probably have the lowest applicant to place ratios of all other medical schools.

Bristol are known to be quite "stingy" on the number of interviews they offer (in addition to many other places) so there isn't really a clear cut answer.

However, I'd say Oxford anf Cambridge are the most difficult to get into. I know places like Newcastle and Sheffield get more applications but I wouldn't for one mintue say that they scrutnise "academic criteria" as closely as Oxbridge and neither are their interviews as intellectually/academically demanding.
Reply 4
Pratik_thakkar
Yep, UCL and kings are competitive. Umm... St Georges guarantees you an interview if you average an A in 8 subjects including English at A level.. JOKING!!! at GCSE.
And if you have got AAB prediction.

With UCL, if you get over 19 on the BMAT, you are guaranteed an interview. Getting 19 is solid. But i assume that getting into UCL after that is easier than say, kings and oxford.
I dont know about kings, but everyone in my school for the past 3 years has been rejected for medicine before interview bar 1 last year who got rejected after interview. And we do have a lot of kings applicants from our school

Ill stop my ramblings now and get on with my work.

Although St Georges interview quite a lot of people (considering they "guarantee" interviews to certain candidates) this would however mean a smaller proportion of interviewees would receive offers when compared to other medical schools.

And I can join you in saying that students from my school haven't really had any luck with getting into King's for Medicine. Only person from my college was interviewed last year and he got rejected after an interview.
Reply 5
zazjaz
ST georges, UCL, Kings college?? becuase i really want to apply to two out of these but not sure which two im not exactly these all rounders either with A*all around, you get the idea!

LOL I didn't read your title fully I thought you were in need of knowing which medical schools were the most competetive.

OK out of those 3 I would rank them in this order of competetiveness:

1)UCL
2)King's
3)St George's

Although I stand by what I said before in that they're all competetive to get into and TBH to get an offer from any one of those 3 would be fantastic.
Reply 6
I'd imagine UCL. But getting an offer from any of them would be excellent for anyone.
I agree! However, Kings is harsher on GCSEs, so for me, I'd be able to get into UCL, but not Kings (not that I ever wanted to mind!)
Reply 8
Philosoraptor
I agree! However, Kings is harsher on GCSEs

You think?
Reply 9
eh what do you mean they are harsher on gcses?do you mean they want top grades like 9 A* or summat?, and ST george's expect quite abit from you to get an average of an A at gcse? compared to other universities the requirements for gcses at st georges seem abit demanding!or maybe its becuase thewy only are expected top academic students to apply!umm..
st georges dont require you to take the BMAT, which is a huge consideration you have to think about, and "apparently" kings place more importance on the UKCAT than Georges, so out of the three i would say georges is the easiest to get into...
They are all competitive. It's just that some uni's place more emphasis on some parts of your application than others.
Subbacultcha
st georges dont require you to take the BMAT, which is a huge consideration you have to think about, and "apparently" kings place more importance on the UKCAT than Georges, so out of the three i would say georges is the easiest to get into...

that's assuming u mess up the bmat.
fair do's yeah, but you dont want to pick say ucl AND imperial AND cambridge if you're not too sure/confident on how well you'd do on the BMAT...
Reply 14
shatteredmedic
They are all competitive. It's just that some uni's place more emphasis on some parts of your application than others.

Thats a surprise.
Its not the post itself that disconcerts. Rather, the way that the easily most accurate post on a thread is uniformly ignored by the vast majority of users.
I'm flattered, hood

Latest

Trending

Trending