The Student Room Group

help with accomodation coss

hi, I'm studying a fe course next year and need help with living expenses. what is there out there. I'm 17 at the start of my course but will turn 18 in the first term if that makes a difference. also my brother is 18 and also doing a fe course. please help!
Original post by stuart henley
hi, I'm studying a fe course next year and need help with living expenses. what is there out there. I'm 17 at the start of my course but will turn 18 in the first term if that makes a difference. also my brother is 18 and also doing a fe course. please help!

The first thing to look at is a company called Student Finance England, who can provide a loan (you only start to pay this back when you've left your course and are earning over a certain threshold per annum) to cover your course expenses (up to £9000) and your living costs (this depends on your household income and where you're living).

Currently, half of the living cost loan is made up with a grant (you don't have to pay this back), but this will become all loan from 2016 onwards (the year I assume you'll start your course).

I also suggest that once you choose a university, you contact them to see what scholarships and support they can offer. These are usually aimed at people with exceedingly good results from a low income background, but are available to everyone.

Have a look at the sfe website for more information.
thanks but I think as far as i'm aware student finance only deal with higher education courses... also we have been living in Thailand for the last 16yrs, which also makes things difficult.
Original post by stuart henley

unfortunately beyond any bursaries the college might offer there isn't really any help, for FE you have to pay most living costs yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending