The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York

I'm applying for a marketing degree at York. I want to know what the people are like, the accomodation and the course itself if anyone can help?
Original post by Iamjoshh
I'm applying for a marketing degree at York. I want to know what the people are like, the accomodation and the course itself if anyone can help?

Hi!

I didn't study Marketing at York but I can help with student life, accommodation etc. What sort of accommodation are you looking for (e.g. catered/self catered, ensuite/shared bathroom)?

I really enjoyed my degree at York - the people are so lovely and I loved studying on campus where it's really peaceful and pretty but then having the city nearby with all the activities and social stuff.

Hazel 🙂
University of York
York
Reply 2
Preferably self-catered, not too bothered abt toilets or whatever. I just want something a bit more affordable, quite social but not completely just filled with parties, I have an interest in sports so if there's a sporty one. Ideally closer to the marketing / business school and any of the uni's gyms or shops etc.
Preferably self-catered, not too bothered abt toilets or whatever. I just want something a bit more affordable, quite social but not completely just filled with parties, I have an interest in sports so if there's a sporty one. Ideally closer to the marketing / business school and any of the uni's gyms or shops etc.

So Alcuin College is the nearest college to the Business School. Alcuin does self catered and ensuite rooms. It's a nice college with a couple of cafes and it's also near the Library. I've got friends in Alcuin and they really like it there. The nearest college to the Campus West Sports Centre is James College but there's only catered rooms available.

There are other self catered colleges on Campus East (which also has its own sports centre), but you'll probably have to walk a bit further or take the bus to your classes as it's further from the Business School. 🙂
Reply 4
What do you think about Derwent or Vanbrugh
What do you think about Derwent or Vanbrugh

Hi,

Both colleges are fully catered and I'd say there the ones at the heart of Campus West in terms of being at the centre and closest to amenities like shops and central buildings like the Library. Both colleges have campus bars/cafes so they're quite social.

I was in Vanbrugh College and I liked being catered - it was nice to go to breakfast and dinner with my flatmates and it made it more social than everyone cooking at different times. The food was nice and there was plenty of options.

Most of Vanbrugh and Derwent is made up of some of the older buildings on campus, so it's not as new inside as the colleges on Campus East but it is more affordable!
Reply 6

I'd say have a look at Halifax, James, or Derwent if you're big on sports. Halifax is the cheapest college and is all self catered, whereas James and Derwent are mostly catered so can be more expensive. All have a big reputation for sports though and are quite close to the sports centre on Campus West.
I cant say anything for the course but the building is lovely! If you have a look at the map the Church Lane Building (where business is taught), although technically on campus west, is almost right in the middle of the two. I agree that sports-wise James, Derwent, and Halifax are the best (and clsoest to sports facilities).

If you want a short walk in the morning, Alcuin is close to Church Lane and the library, is self catered, but houses a lot of medics (who have different semester dates) and so has a reputation of being very quiet.

Halifax is one of the cheapest colleges, is self catered, but the main downside is that its the furthest from the centre of university, furthest from the city, and furthest from the supermarkets (30+ minute walk), but generally has a pretty strong community and is located near a lot of nature and the sports-fields.

James is closest to the sports facilities, the college looks pretty far-out on the map but the actual accomodation are decently central, generally all the accomodation is relatively modern and nice (except N-block!), college sports is also very strong and you often see people around uni repping their merch. Lots of the nice accomodation in James that is en-suite and catered, the en-suite rooms can be pretty small though.

Derwent is one of the oldest colleges, has probably the best communtiy and a reputation for partying. Their original accomodation is right in the centre of campus west with great views of the nicest parts of the lake. Given its age lot of their original accomodation is a bit run-down, except P-block which has just been renovated and looks really nice! If you want to be really close to the business buliding, the Derwent extension accomodation (Block E,F,G&H) is newer, decently nice, and I think is self catered?

Have a look at the map if you want to! https://www.york.ac.uk/map/#locid763 Hope this helps!
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending