The Student Room Group

Should I drop ICT or History for A2?

Hi there, I received my AS results a week ago and i still don't know whether to drop ICT or History. I want to do Economics at Uni so i'm thinking History may be more useful . I got an A for ICT and a B for History. Also, I equally dislike both subjects.
I spoke to five teachers and they all said different things.
Thanks in advance.
Original post by J.Layt
Hi there, I received my AS results a week ago and i still don't know whether to drop ICT or History. I want to do Economics at Uni so i'm thinking History may be more useful . I got an A for ICT and a B for History. Also, I equally dislike both subjects.
I spoke to five teachers and they all said different things.
Thanks in advance.

How far off an A were you in history? I agree that history would probably be a better subject to take for an economics degree, and if you are close to an A in it then it's likely that you'll be able to increase your overall grade in history to an A at A2. ICT is also generally seen as a 'soft' A Level, whereas history is a facilitating subject which would make your application more attractive to universities :smile:
I have the same dilemma choosing what subject to drop. I need to choose between ICT and Law, got close to full marks in ICT without sweating, but it is seen as an easy subject, so will look less favourable on my UCAS application.
Reply 3
Original post by Leviathan1741
How far off an A were you in history? I agree that history would probably be a better subject to take for an economics degree, and if you are close to an A in it then it's likely that you'll be able to increase your overall grade in history to an A at A2. ICT is also generally seen as a 'soft' A Level, whereas history is a facilitating subject which would make your application more attractive to universities :smile:

A fair bit off, i just scraped a B by 2 UMS.
Original post by J.Layt
A fair bit off, i just scraped a B by 2 UMS.

That makes things a bit trickier then, as it'll be more difficult to get an A overall in History if you scraped a B at AS; you could get a B fairly easily though (assuming you don't retake). I'd suggest taking a look at the entry requirements for your potential unis, i.e. the grades and any required and/or desired subjects to help you decide :smile:
Original post by 0123456543210
I have the same dilemma choosing what subject to drop. I need to choose between ICT and Law, got close to full marks in ICT without sweating, but it is seen as an easy subject, so will look less favourable on my UCAS application.

I took ICT to A2 and it did not affect me getting any offer.

I got offers from Durham, Birmingham, Exeter, Lancaster and Keele for Accounting.

A2 ICT is fairly easy, the coursework can be marked repeatedly by the teacher, giving you a guaranteed A, as you would only need like an E in the INFO 3 exam, which is a rather hard exam.
Reply 6
Original post by Leviathan1741
That makes things a bit trickier then, as it'll be more difficult to get an A overall in History if you scraped a B at AS; you could get a B fairly easily though (assuming you don't retake). I'd suggest taking a look at the entry requirements for your potential unis, i.e. the grades and any required and/or desired subjects to help you decide :smile:

Cheers! Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply

Latest