The Student Room Group

starting geography alevel

should i take geography as an alevel if i only got a b in it at gcse?
Reply 1
Original post by 10101gg

Only if you enjoy it. It's more different than GCSE as you'll get lot's of essays and learn a great deal.
I agree, only do it if you enjoy it. A B is fine, there were even people at my college who did a level without having a GCSE in it. Just review work as you do it And do lots of extra reading outside of lessons :biggrin:
Ditto. A level geography isn't much harder than GCSE level, but you'll have to be prepared to learn a lot of case studies (especially if you'll be doing OCR). You should be able to cope with it having got a B at GCSE :smile:
Case studies make up a good portion of the tests, you'll have to know 10+ of them, so you've got to be good at memorising facts/figs. AS1 can largely be learned off and regurgitated in the test and AS 2 needs a bit of common sense and to be able to apply knowledge to questions. Overall I think it's a really nice A-level choice :smile: (and there's no coursework!!!, well, at least CCEA don't have it 😋😋😄) (keep in mind though I've only done AS :biggrin:)

There's also a statistics section at the start of each exam, you just need to learn off the steps for this and it becomes pretty easy, with regards to graphs and spear mans rank (either comes up each year, and they're worth ~8 marks) you can actually prelearn these for the correct answer/scales for the graph when you have to sort out your fieldwork results :smile:

You shouldn't have no problem tbh if you got a B at GCSE :smile: I did and I got a A in AS :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Which exam board? If you're doing AQA then it's likely you've already studied half of the content for GCSE (I had already done Rivers and Population) but there's just a little more extra detail and it's conceptually more challenging, but only slightly. I didn't have any more case studies to learn for AS than I did at GCSE, but I think we just got an unnecessary amount at GCSE. The style of questioning is more demanding and you have to know what you're talking about, but I think your B demonstrates you've already gained a good level of understanding. If you're willing to work hard to expand it, go for it.
Reply 6
You can do Geography without doing Geography GCSE, even! In my class we had two people who didn't study Geography before AS, and they outperformed more than half of the class.
Original post by 10101gg

at first it may seem hard especially if you have not done rivers or coast before, you need to ask as many questions as you can if you do not understand it. You can say that for all A levels but trust me it is a heavy content subject!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
ME TOO!
But I love Geography and I've been encouraged by teacher to take it to take it. So I am taking it.

Spoiler

LOL it literally doesn't get any harder at all! At least at AS....I mean you need to know more but it's no more complicated! Volcanos are still Volcanos.

Quick Reply

Latest