The Student Room Group

RAF PRTC ~ September 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
First impressions are a must here guys, get suited and booted!!! Should be able to see your reflection in those shoes aha. I would suggest shirt, trousers and a tie.

With the msft i practise it 3 times a week and the days im not completing it, i go for a run and do my core exercises. I personally think with the bleep test its purely psychological. Keep saying to yourself over and over "its just one more shuttle". I think its the morning of the second day so dont be tempted to have a full english aha, stick to toast or porridge till the day after.

Is anyone driving down btw?
Reply 81
I'll be driving. I got some suit trousers and some nice shirts and ties so fingers crossed 😁

Daft question... What size suitcases are you all taking? I don't want to fork out money for a medium sized one so I may take my large one
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 82
Literaly a big sized gym bag i think for me its only 3 days, not the big 10 weeks yet aha
I've got a small suitcase for clothes, which I'm going to fill up with extra towels if need be so my shirts don't move around and get creased. I'm taking a rucksack to put everything else in.

Anyone know if you get the boots in a shoe box to take home? Not sure if I should bring a draw string bag or something which I can put them in and hang from my rucksack to bring them home?
I'm curious to know if the 1.5 mile run time requirements are equivalent to the bleep test level requirements for your age group/gender. So if someone can do a 1.5 mile run in 11:11 for the PJFT, should they be able to get level 9.10 on the bleep test with the same level of fitness?

I'm slightly fitter now than when I did my 10:40 1.5 mile run so I'm hoping I'll smash the beep test.
Reply 85
I'm bringing a medium sized north face bag, may be a little roll around space in but hey! If you roll your shirts with your towels you'll get less creases (check youtube for shirt folding tricks)

No idea over the boots! Just tie the laces together and hang them around your neck lol!
Reply 86
Well im driving so luckily i can just hang them in my car and just carry them wherever aha. You will find running alongside people as well will make the bleep test that one step less demoraising lol
Reply 87
Im taking a medium sized duffle bag. Allows me to fit all my clothes in and still enough room to fit my issued boots in for the return trip.
Are you not allowed to take one of those tiny travel irons?
Reply 89
The Msft distance for 9.10 is 1.6-1.8 km so you will be fine Ben! Besides you will run with god knows how many other people so the andrenalin/competition mindset will kick in

http://www.topendsports.com/testing/beep-table.htm
This was great for MSFT treadmill training
(edited 8 years ago)
Boots you get in a shoe box.

Bleep test usually done in waves of about 20-30. Then while the next lot run you get a lovely rest before your push-ups etc, easy peasy!

I wish I was at Halton just so I could laugh at you all marching in civvies :wink:!
Failed at the bleep test today. Stopped at level 5, went until level 7 and stopped again, then keeled over at level 9. I was on grass in the blazing sun but I shouldn't be this bad...
Once everyone gets together and the adrenaline kicks in you'll be fine. Plus everyone will cheer you on. It's a mind game
Bleep tests are hard but I found they get a heck of a lot easier faster than just regular running does, I think some people are more naturally suited to them as well. Like, I am reasonably tall (6ft 1) so the turning really kills me, and i find it hard to pick up speed in such few strides. For example, when i first started them I was only reaching level 7, now I can do level 11+ and it only took a few weeks of doing them. A few tricks that helped me, was alternating feet on which you turn, as sort of a game to keep your mind off the pain, or planning where your feet will land so your just on the line, instead of being a whole step or two over. But ye, in a group environment when its pass or go home I am sure the extra adrenaline will help everyone pass.

edit; also going to prtc this September, so maybe i will be one of the guys cheering you on :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 94
Who's excited? :biggrin:
Reply 95
Nerves slowly kicking in! Will be cacking it tomorrow
I am looking forward too it, although my trainer insoles have given up right before, so I don't have time to buy new ones and break them in AND still be fresh, so I will have to do the bleep test without insoles. Hopefully, I can still pass though, i don't really have much choice :frown:

Also, anyone else going by train, pm your route/times if you maybe want to meet up on the train/station, would be nice to chat to people before, help calm any nerves :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 97
Running with a crowd will make all the difference, have faith in yourself. If you've made it this far why give up now? Anyone taking part in the prtc has what it takes to pass. This is where you will make mates for life they will push you every step of the way. Its all psychological if you can run the mile and half in under 11.11 you can do this its just all a mind game. Look forward to maybe seeing some of you soon :smile:
Reply 98
I'll be driving so I'm going to leave my house early and get there for half 3. If I'm there earlier I'll probably find a local costa or something and relax :P would be great to meet you all before hand :P
Reply 99
I'm down for that I'm only about an hour and a half- two hours away

Quick Reply

Latest