The Student Room Group

What is the best Laptop

Hello

I'm going to be studying physics at qub in september 2015. I am going to be getting a new laptop for uni and was looking to know whih is the best laptop for a physics student?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What budget are you looking for. I am sure I can find you a 5000 GBP laptop, which would likely be classed as 'best', but is this truly what you want?
Also do you want a Macbook or a Windows laptop?
Reply 2
Original post by Chr0n
What budget are you looking for. I am sure I can find you a 5000 GBP laptop, which would likely be classed as 'best', but is this truly what you want?
Also do you want a Macbook or a Windows laptop?

It depends. No more than approx £1200
Thanks
I just got an Alienware 15 for my computer science/games dev course and I'm very happy with it so far. That may be slightly over your budget, though; perhaps you might want to check out the more budget AW models?

You are admittedly paying a lot for the brand and I'd never recommend getting an AW desktop computer, but their latest laptops are nevertheless very good.
Reply 4
Original post by sjgriffiths
I just got an Alienware 15 for my computer science/games dev course and I'm very happy with it so far. That may be slightly over your budget, though; perhaps you might want to check out the more budget AW models?

Whats your view on the macbook pro?
Reply 5
Well it depends on what you are going to primarily use it for. If it is for notes only then you don't need anything too powerful.

If it is the case for the above then the ASUS Zenbook UX305 or something similar to that would be ideal which is under the £600 mark.
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-zenbook-ux305-13-3-laptop-black-aluminium-10101095-pdt.html

Or if you need a little bit more performance from it a decent laptop is the Lenovo Z50
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-z50-15-6-laptop-white-10107258-pdt.html?intcmpid=display~RR

If you're looking at Macbooks they can run you from £950+ so you need to really look into whether you can benefit from buying one.

I can recommend them though, I use one and they have really good battery life compared to other laptops and are pretty durable, with decent performance.
Original post by Bwilson962
It depends. No more than approx £1200
Thanks

MacBook air or Pro.

Battery life is second to none and the Air is lightweight (easy to pop in your bag for Uni).

However, if Windows if your thing then check out Ultrabooks. They're lightweight, with good battery life and can definitely match up to the Macbooks performance.

Whatever you do decide to get, if you are planning on taking it to lectures and using it regularly, I'd say it would have to be lightweight with good battery life above all else.
Reply 7
Personally: If you are a gamer -> get a windows laptop.
If not: Get a Macbook Pro and you will never go back. If you need Windows, you can install Windows as a second operating system or use Parallels to run it within Mac.

Regarding the Air: With the new thin pros, there really is no need for an air anymore. The airs have a lot less performance, so imo are not a good investment. The exception is if you travel a lot, but then again, the new pros are so thin that it doesn't make too much of a difference in that regard.
Reply 8
Original post by Chr0n
Personally: If you are a gamer -> get a windows laptop.
If not: Get a Macbook Pro and you will never go back. If you need Windows, you can install Windows as a second operating system or use Parallels to run it within Mac.

Regarding the Air: With the new thin pros, there really is no need for an air anymore. The airs have a lot less performance, so imo are not a good investment. The exception is if you travel a lot, but then again, the new pros are so thin that it doesn't make too much of a difference in that regard.

Dell xps 13 or macbook pro. Which would be best for a physics student?
Original post by Bwilson962
Dell xps 13 or macbook pro. Which would be best for a physics student?

You still haven't answered the question above. Do you prefer windows or OS X?
If your going to use it for games and such then just go with the windows variants.
Reply 10
Original post by IAmYourdog
You still haven't answered the question above. Do you prefer windows or OS X?
If your going to use it for games and such then just go with the windows variants.

I don't mind either. Its just what will suit me as i'm doing physics ?
Reply 11
I would imagine either will be fine. If you are really worried, send your university an email and ask them if there is any software you need to run that would not run on a mac.

I suggest to go to an Apple Store and try out the Macbook and see if you like it - if not, just get a windows one.
Hi
not sure if you've got your laptop yet but I'm in the same boat.
specs you need to look out for are;
at least i5 core processor
backlit keyboard and numerical keypad - good for when doing calculations
usb 3 not usb 2 - usb 2 eats up your battery life
in terms of storage try to get one that includes SSD - your laptop will be faster and have more storage space
Bluetooth - although most laptops have this
a good graphics card - you will most likely be using matlab and other software so this is useful
good battery life - at least 6 hours
screen size at least 15.4" - your keyboard will otherwise be smaller and you may not have a numerical keypad
weight- don't go over 2.5kg if you can but this is personal preference based on what you can carry

hope this helps:smile:
Original post by doctor_2_be
Hi
not sure if you've got your laptop yet but I'm in the same boat.
specs you need to look out for are;
at least i5 core processor
backlit keyboard and numerical keypad - good for when doing calculations
usb 3 not usb 2 - usb 2 eats up your battery life
in terms of storage try to get one that includes SSD - your laptop will be faster and have more storage space
Bluetooth - although most laptops have this
a good graphics card - you will most likely be using matlab and other software so this is useful
good battery life - at least 6 hours
screen size at least 15.4" - your keyboard will otherwise be smaller and you may not have a numerical keypad
weight- don't go over 2.5kg if you can but this is personal preference based on what you can carry

hope this helps:smile:

Completely disagree!

1. Op will need at most i5 (I would probably suggest an i5 but i3 would be fine)
2. You don't do calculations on a laptop it takes way too much time
3. Matlab will only be used really for basic programming for most physics students so unless the op wants to do gaming the integrated graphics will be fine
4. Battery life I agree with ish (just go for the longer the better)
5. Wouldn't suggest going any bigger than 15.6inch screen due to carrying about (I use a 15 inch as its my main machine but most people I know use 13.3)
6. Numerical keyboard won't matter for physics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by madmadmax321
Completely disagree!

1. Op will need at most i5 (I would probably suggest an i5 but i3 would be fine)
2. You don't do calculations on a laptop it takes way too much time
3. Matlab will only be used really for basic programming for most physics students so unless the op wants to do gaming the integrated graphics will be fine
4. Battery life I agree with ish (just go for the longer the better)
5. Wouldn't suggest going any bigger than 15.6inch screen due to carrying about (I use a 15 inch as its my main machine but most people I know use 13.3)
6. Numerical keyboard won't matter for physics

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is this a personal or professional opinion?

1. If the OP intends to use the laptop for the duration of the course then the i3 processor will become too slow als i5 is better for multitasking and has a better cache.

2. I agree, doing calculations on a laptop is a bit pointless but should the need arise that the OP needs to type up worked examples and other calculations, a numerical keypad is good to have.

3. Surely this will depend on where your going plus if OP is going to go on and do phd or masters in physics or is doing theoretical physics.

4. I'm glad you agree:h:

5. I meant that 15" is probably best size. 13" might be lighter but you will be compromising keyboard size and how spread out the keys are, as well as the obvious fact that it is a smaller screen.

6. See 2.
(edited 8 years ago)
Is this a personal or professional opinion?

1. If the OP intends to use the laptop for the duration of the course then the i3 processor will become too slow.

2. I agree, doing calculations on a laptop is a bit pointless but should the need arise that the OP needs to type up worked examples and other calculations, a numerical keypad is good to have.

3. Surely this will depend on where your going plus if OP is going to go on and do phd or masters in physics or is doing theoretical physics.

4. I'm glad you agree:h:

5. I meant that 15" is probably best size. 13" might be lighter but you will be compromising keyboard size and how spread out the keys are, as well as the obvious fact that it is a smaller screen.

6. See 2.

It's my suggestion for someone doing a physics degree

1. You can't know that
2. Again I don't know anyone that studies physics or maths to type up worked examples
3. They will use the processor mainly for physics programs and again for a theoretical physics degree a graphics card isn't required. Also out of the PhD students I know (only 3 though) for anything that requires power, they use their desktop or the university ones (which from what I am told is the more common option)
5. Ah fair enough, thought you meant they should get a screen bigger than 15, that would be too big

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by madmadmax321
It's my suggestion for someone doing a physics degree

1. You can't know that
2. Again I don't know anyone that studies physics or maths to type up worked examples
3. They will use the processor mainly for physics programs and again for a theoretical physics degree a graphics card isn't required. Also out of the PhD students I know (only 3 though) for anything that requires power, they use their desktop or the university ones (which from what I am told is the more common option)
5. Ah fair enough, thought you meant they should get a screen bigger than 15, that would be too big

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. In my experience i5 is better is you tend to multitasking a lot and are opening several Web pages and other applications - personal preference

2. fair enough, although Ive always prefered having a numerical keyboard on my laptop.

3. I know a few phd students who have said they prefer to have a better graphics card when using matlab and other softwares - one of which does use hers for gaming though
OP you still haven't answered the question, yes you're doing a physics course but that doesn't give anyone any idea of what you'll be using it for.

The thing you'll be using a fair bit on a physics course is MatLab so you'll be doing some coding etc, this really doesn't take a lot of power and you'll be fine in that respect.

It depends on your OS preference but with your budget I'd probably recommend a Dell xps 13, if you don't want a touchscreen go for the full HD version and save yourself £200
1. In my experience i5 is better is you tend to multitasking a lot and are opening several Web pages and other applications - personal preference

2. fair enough, although Ive always prefered having a numerical keyboard on my laptop.

3. I know a few phd students who have said they prefer to have a better graphics card when using matlab and other softwares - one of which does use hers for gaming though

The difference between i5 and i3 processors isn't massive due to the capability of i3 to multithread, the only difference between these cores is the cache size.

MatLab for coding won't need any special graphics card because it's not doing anything fps intensive. I haven't actually found many laptops with numerical keyboards that are still small and light. There will also be a big jump up in price between a 13 inch and a 15 inch that you should bare in mind
Reply 19
Macbook Pro w/ NVIDIA Graphics

Why?
Macs ship with LAPACK / BLAS optimised libraries by standard
Macs provide great support for all programming languages that you will encounter in a physics degree
NVIDIA graphics because if you are doing HPC you can use CUDA libraries to utilise the graphics card and speed up simulations / code. Currently there far less support for non-NVIDIA graphics cards in major programming languages

Cheap Alternatives:
Ubuntu installation with NVIDIA graphics (you can also dual boot ubuntu with Windows if you want to use Word for coursework - I'd recommend learning LaTeX though...)
Downsides are that Ubuntu takes a LOT more set-up than Macbook Pro

What NOT to get:
Only Windows - this will make your life hell if you try to do any sort of programming
Macbook Air - It's a jumped up iPad that's all-in-all pretty useless at everything other than Facebook / Youtube

I have done a BSc in Physics with emphasis on computational physics & simulation. I do part-time research in Deep Machine Learning and I'm about to enter an MSc in Theoretical Physics.

I've tried and tested all the above.
I had to use Windows in a job to do HPC programming in python - was horrible.
I've got a desktop with NVIDIA graphics that dual boots ubuntu and Windows
I also have a Macbook Pro late 2014 Quad core with Intel Graphics (I massively regret not getting an NVIDIA graphics card every time I do big matrix calculations!!)

The cheapest option with a lot of overhead setup is to build you own PC with Ubuntu (and maybe windows dual booting)
The best option is to buy a Macbook Pro with NVIDIA graphics card

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending