The Student Room Group

Taking 2 gap years?

I recently got into clearing into the university of York this year... but recently i've started to have doubts about going...

My grades from my A-levels are as follows
A* economics
A maths
C in biology (2ums off a B)

I'm applying to do economics but missed both my firm and insurance because of the C in biology. I'm gutted that I didn't get into a uni of my choice and I've been having thoughts of taking another gap year. I feel like I only get the chance to go to university once, and I'd like to go to a university of my choice.. University of York is a good university, and I don't mean to offend anyone who goes there, but it just doesn't feel right.. maybe this is just a phase that I'm going through... but I've been really considering taking a second gap year as in my first, all I did was get a job at a supermarket and do retakes... I didn't get the chance to travel or do a internship or anything...

If I do take a second gap year, my plan would be as follows
-Try and get into an internship at a investment bank
-Do a few retakes (try and get maths to A* and try to get my biology to atleast a B grade)
-Finally have enough money to go travel in the summer
-Re-apply to a better university

But then, I do have a few concerns... I'd be around 20 years old when I finally do go into university which will feel completely weird.. I may actually end up being more mature than all the other 18 year olds... I'd also be worried about securing a place at a internship as I didn't expect to be contemplating taking a second gap year... I was so sure on going into university... (wanted exeter or nottingham or leeds)... it was my biology grade which really let me down... just 2 ums :frown:

I also did a remark on my biology modules, but the overall grade stayed the same....

help? what do people think of 2 gap years? has anyone met people in uni who has taken 2 gap years? would universities frown upon this?
I met people that were 23/24 in their first year at university. I wouldn't worry about that. I don't think universities frown upon it in any way.
Reply 2
Original post by shezshez
I met people that were 23/24 in their first year at university. I wouldn't worry about that. I don't think universities frown upon it in any way.

I hope so... I'd be a little worried about the social aspect of being way older than my piers..

Quick Reply

Latest