The Student Room Group

Gap year in high school

hello there,
I have currently been doing the Ib for 5 months now
hl : chem,bio,psychology
sl;english lang and lit , math aa , spanish

The school I am in right now is not the perfect fit for me, so I have decided to take a gap year, and will continue to do a-levels from march onwards.what do you guys think?is it normal to take a gap year in high school, would it look bad on my aps- what is regret my decision?

thank you !!
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by grinchchristmas
hello there,
I have currently been doing the Ib for 5 months now
hl : chem,bio,psychology
sl;english lang and lit , math aa , spanish
The school I am in right now is not the perfect fit for me, so I have decided to take a gap year, and will continue to do a-levels from march onwards.what do you guys think?is it normal to take a gap year in high school, would it look bad on my aps- what is regret my decision?
thank you !!

Hi there,

Assuming you're doing A-Levels so are 16+, I believe you will need to remain in education until the age of 18 and at this point can take a gap year. There are extenuating circumstances sometimes that may force a student to be off for a year but generally speaking 16 year olds complete 2 years of college before doing their gap year.

There are advantages to a gap year if it's approached in the correct way. If you show you've been proactive through working/volunteering this can often stand you in good stead with your personal statement when you do look to apply to universities in the future. I know a lot of people who have done this when deciding to do medicine for example, volunteering in care homes/GP practises. There are companies that can help you plan your gap year too if you do some research on that.

I hope a couple of these pointers help!

Ethan

Quick Reply

Latest