The Student Room Group

Oxford or Cambridge: Admission Criteria

I know that the admission criteria for each university is slightly different. Please could someone tell me which of the two Oxbridge universities places the most emphasis on each of the following criterion.

GCSE Results:
AS Results:
A2 Predictions:
Interviews:
Admissions Test:
Personal Statement:
Reference:

Thank you.
GCSE Results: Supposedly Oxford, though I think this is overestimated by people on this site
AS Results: Supposedly Cambridge (think this is more true than the Oxford GCSEs thing, but a Light Blue person can confirm)
A2 Predictions: Well, you need to meet the minimum requirements for your course, for both unis!
Interviews: Probably THE most important factor in the holistic process (for those who reach the interview stage only, obviously!)
Admissions Test: I'd say this is the second most important factor, since many courses with admissions tests use the test results to decide who to invite to interview
Personal Statement: I think this is generally quite low on the priorities, but of course one should aim to write a good PS!
Reference: Not sure this is taken into account that much, aside for explaining high UMS marks for Oxford applicants, or extenuating circumstances explaining low GCSE/AS results

All this said, you should look at course content and visit both and apply to whichever you prefer. Though Oxford is much better, naturally :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
GCSE Results: Supposedly Oxford, though I think this is overestimated by people on this site
AS Results: Supposedly Cambridge (think this is more true than the Oxford GCSEs thing, but a Light Blue person can confirm)
A2 Predictions: Well, you need to meet the minimum requirements for your course, for both unis!
Interviews: Probably THE most important factor in the holistic process (for those who reach the interview stage only, obviously!)
Admissions Test: I'd say this is the second most important factor, since many courses with admissions tests use the test results to decide who to invite to interview
Personal Statement: I think this is generally quite low on the priorities, but of course one should aim to write a good PS!
Reference: Not sure this is taken into account that much, aside for explaining high UMS marks for Oxford applicants, or extenuating circumstances explaining low GCSE/AS results

All this said, you should look at course content and visit both and apply to whichever you prefer. Though Oxford is much better, naturally :wink:

Thank you. I am looking to apply for Mathematics and I am currently at 498/500 UMS for my Mathematics A-Level (Secured A*). Also for my Physics AS I got 295/300 (240/240 in exams). However I do not think I will excel in the Mathematics admission test as this kind of thing isn't my kettle of fish. Please can you advise which would be the best for application - basically which places the least emphasis on the admission test.
(edited 8 years ago)
For Mathematics at Cambridge you will need to sit STEP papers 2 and 3. Your offer, (if they make one) will include your STEP grades. A 1,1 offer seems most usual but this can vary as it is set individually for you by your college. Approximately half of those people who are made Maths offers each year actually secure a place.
You do not mention Further Maths, are you taking this? If not it would probably be a good idea to do so.
There are several interesting threads on TSR to search on regarding the Cambs maths course and STEP.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Connorbwfc
Thank you. I am looking to apply for Mathematics and I am currently at 498/500 UMS for my Mathematics A-Level (Secured A*). Also for my Physics AS I got 295/300 (240/240 in exams). However I do not think I will excel in the Mathematics admission test as this kind of thing isn't my kettle of fish. Please can you advise which would be the best for application - basically which places the least emphasis on the admission test.

Do you mean test pre-interview (MAT is only Oxford), at interview, or post interview (STEP is only Cambridge).

Also, why do you think they aren't your kettle of fish... you've clearly excelled in exams (which are basically a long test).

Oh and why do you only have /500 for Maths? Missing a module?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

I'm a humanities student so can't advise but as has been said, you would have SOME kinda test whichever one you applied to :eek:
Reply 6
Original post by jneill
Do you mean test pre-interview (MAT is only Oxford), at interview, or post interview (STEP is only Cambridge).

Also, why do you think they aren't your kettle of fish... you've clearly excelled in exams (which are basically a long test).

Oh and why do you only have /500 for Maths? Missing a module?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I mean MAT v STEP.

I don't think they are my kettle of fish because the questions are very, very difficult compared to actual exams (no easy questions at all), and we don't get taught the content like we do for the real exams, whilst there also isn't a set specification. I'm not good at general difficult Mathematics question - for example I didn't do very well on the UKMT Maths Challenge which is a similar concept.

Yes, I am missing an AS module, but I have already guaranteed the A* thankfully :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by tinydancersmum
For Mathematics at Cambridge you will need to sit STEP papers 2 and 3. Your offer, (if they make one) will include your STEP grades. A 1,1 offer seems most usual but this can vary as it is set individually for you by your college. Approximately half of those people who are made Maths offers each year actually secure a place.
You do not mention Further Maths, are you taking this? If not it would probably be a good idea to do so.
There are several interesting threads on TSR to search on regarding the Cambs maths course and STEP.

Yes I am taking Further Maths. I've only done FP1 so far and got 90/100, so wasn't totally happy about this mark.
Are admission tests at Oxford taken before an offer of an Interview?
Are admission tests at Oxford taken before an offer of an Interview?

Pretty sure the MAT is, as are most of the tests :yes:
Reply 9
Pretty sure the MAT is, as are most of the tests :yes:

Will a lot of emphasis be placed on this?

With my grades (see above), how likely do you think I am to be offered an interview? I also did Chemistry AS (279/300ums).
Will a lot of emphasis be placed on this?

With my grades (see above), how likely do you think I am to be offered an interview? I also did Chemistry AS (279/300ums).

I can't tell you your chances since I am not a STEM student and no next to nothing about maths applications :nah:

I can't say for definite whether a lot of emphasis will be placed on it but the general idea of the Oxford-specific pre-interview tests is to help decide who to interview :yes:

Quoting @RichE who may be able to help :smile:
Reply 11
I can't tell you your chances since I am not a STEM student and no next to nothing about maths applications :nah:

I can't say for definite whether a lot of emphasis will be placed on it but the general idea of the Oxford-specific pre-interview tests is to help decide who to interview :yes:

Quoting @RichE who may be able to help :smile:

Thanks
Also quoting @Noble , who (IIRC) is a mathmo of some kind...
Reply 13
I don't think they are my kettle of fish because the questions are very, very difficult compared to actual exams (no easy questions at all), and we don't get taught the content like we do for the real exams, whilst there also isn't a set specification. I'm not good at general difficult Mathematics question - for example I didn't do very well on the UKMT Maths Challenge which is a similar concept.

The syllabus for MAT is essentially C1 and C2, and is given expressly at

http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/files/attachments/syllabus.pdf

There is lots of info about the MAT here

http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/study-here/undergraduate-study/maths-admissions-test

including past papers and average test scores on them, and as TLG says, the MAT is a pretty important part of the application process.

Most applicants will be predicted the required A*A*A or better, GCSEs aren't seen as particularly good indicators of talent in maths, and so the MAT is the main criterion by which shortlisting takes place. Offers are then largely made on the basis of performance in the MAT and in interviews.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
I mean MAT v STEP.

Yes, I am missing an AS module, but I have already guaranteed the A* thankfully :smile:

So, that is the point of MAT and STEP, to test your Maths problem solving in more ways than A-levels. They don't need any knowledge beyond A-level. A good way to succeed is by doing lots of past papers and joining the MAT or STEP preparation threads on TSR.

You do MAT before interview and it's used by Oxford to determine if you get an interview.

You do STEP at the end of sixth form, so it requires more knowledge than MAT, and is used by Cambridge to determine if you meet your offer.

Cambridge gives out a lot of Maths interviews, and Offers. But approx 50% miss the offer because of STEP.

They are both hard, but are used because Oxbridge find them to be good indicators of future success in hard degrees.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending