The Student Room Group

"It is impossible to do Further Maths in a year" Please reply!

I want to do Further Maths (AS&A2) In one year (along with A2 Maths and A2 Physics). Today I went to re-enrol at my college and told them my plan... They almost laughed at me. I spoke to three lectures (all with PhD's) and they all said it was impossible, "Not even Sheldon Cooper could do it" then they said they wouldn't enter me for the exams! I need to talk to some people who did do Further Maths in a year, I want to know what grade you got (be honest) and was the work too much? Please reply, I need to convince my college to let me do it. I see it as doing 3 A2's and an AS!

Scroll to see replies

That's what I plan to do this year alongside A2 physics - I am not looking forward to it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's obviously doable. You just need to be naturally talented and put in alot of hard work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by phoenixsilver
That's what I plan to do this year alongside A2 physics - I am not looking forward to it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have the same plan as me? Do you think you will get an A?
Reply 4
I remember you from that STEP thread you made (I think?); I don't know if this is info I've already said but oh well. :smile: I did Further Maths A Level in a year along with Maths A2, got 1178/1200 (13 of the marks dropped in C2 :redface:) Seems pretty doable tbh. It does depend on how many modules you've worked on so far. You'd ideally want a good grounding in C3/4 by now and maybe a good idea of one or two other modules.

Original post by JPencil
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by donutellme
It's obviously doable. You just need to be naturally talented and put in alot of hard work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it not like doing 3 A2's and an AS, lots of people do four A2's, as far as i can tell it should be relatively trivial! I know I can do but my College doesn't :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by donutellme

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't say natural talent is required; I am extremely far from talented at maths and managed it.
Original post by JPencil
You have the same plan as me? Do you think you will get an A?

I hope to get an A* in one and at least an A in the other.
Most likely I would get the A* in the FM as Physics is harder to get high marks, more wordy stuff.

I am also glad that I can use the M2 I took as part of my maths as part of my FM A2 as I got 92 UMS in it, so I only need to get 90+ UMS in two units.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by JPencil
I want to do Further Maths (AS&A2) In one year (along with A2 Maths and A2 Physics). Today I went to re-enrol at my college and told them my plan... They almost laughed at me. I spoke to three lectures (all with PhD's) and they all said it was impossible, "Not even Sheldon Cooper could do it" then they said they wouldn't enter me for the exams! I need to talk to some people who did do Further Maths in a year, I want to know what grade you got (be honest) and was the work too much? Please reply, I need to convince my college to let me do it. I see it as doing 3 A2's and an AS!

"Not even Sheldon Cooper could do it"?? Probably not, given he's a poor fictional caricature of 'what TV people think an intelligent person must look like'. What kind of mickey mouse PhDs do they have? It's not at all uncommon to do FM as an extra, or do lots of maths modules in a year.

It's totally possible (I didn't do it myself, admittedly, but I self-taught all my maths and FM modules, and did a lot of A-levels, so I know about workload). If you are 'maths capable' (as you clearly are), maths is literally just about how much practice you can do. Maths is all about practicing and recognising techniques - if you have good textbooks and set aside enough time, it's just a case of doing all the exercises.

Could you teach yourself and enter privately?
Reply 9
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I remember you from that STEP thread you made (I think?); I don't know if this is info I've already said but oh well. :smile: I did Further Maths A Level in a year along with Maths A2, got 1178/1200 (13 of the marks dropped in C2 :redface:) Seems pretty doable tbh. It does depend on how many modules you've worked on so far. You'd ideally want a good grounding in C3/4 by now and maybe a good idea of one or two other modules.

I'm planning on finishing C3/4 by January. I have done about 80% of FP1 and most of C3/4. I just don't like how no one thinks i can do it! According to the Maths department "No one can"
Reply 10
Original post by Lemur12
"Not even Sheldon Cooper could do it"?? Probably not, given he's a poor fictional caricature of 'what TV people think an intelligent person must look like'. What kind of mickey mouse PhDs do they have? It's not at all uncommon to do FM as an extra, or do lots of maths modules in a year.

It's totally possible (I didn't do it myself, admittedly, but I self-taught all my maths and FM modules, and did a lot of A-levels, so I know about workload). If you are 'maths capable' (as you clearly are), maths is literally just about how much practice you can do. Maths is all about practicing and recognising techniques - if you have good textbooks and set aside enough time, it's just a case of doing all the exercises.

Could you teach yourself and enter privately?

That was the other option, get taught AS and teach myself A2 as an external student, which I am considering. I can get all the text books from the College and i am going to finish every question in every text book plus all the past papers. I can't believe they said "no one can do it"
That's definitely possible if you're naturally good at and enjoy maths, it's stupid that those teachers said it's impossible and that you won't be entered for those exams

I need to convince my sixth form to carry on A2 maths, chemistry, physics and further maths but also try to get AS fm resits because I messed up and got a D lel. Does anyone know if you can resit privately?
Original post by JPencil

I've taught 2 people who have done this. Laura had been put off Maths by her school in Year 11 so only did AS Maths in Year 12. She then came back to loving Maths during Year 12 and decided to take on A2 Maths and all of FM, along with A2 English Literature in Year 13. She got an A in both of Maths and FM (and English). This was in 2009, before A*s were invented. She would have got an A* in Maths since she got 191 across C3 and C4. Her life was quite hectic since she had 2 lesoons to speed-learn C4 integration before needing it in FP2. We had organised the order of teaching FP2 to leave the integration as late as possible. She went to Bath to do a Maths degree.

Lucy had set out on AS Maths, Physics, Art and .....(I can't remember what). She didn't get on with Physics (the subject or the teacher...?) and decided to do A2 Maths, all of FM and A2 Art in Year 13. She got a safe A in Maths and FM (and Art I expect) and went off to do Art I think.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by AstroNandos
That's definitely possible if you're naturally good at and enjoy maths, it's stupid that those teachers said it's impossible and that you won't be entered for those exams

I need to convince my sixth form to carry on A2 maths, chemistry, physics and further maths but also try to get AS fm resits because I messed up and got a D lel. Does anyone know if you can resit privately?

Good luck with those exams! That will be more difficult than what I'm planning on doing :colondollar:
Reply 14
Original post by tiny hobbit
I've taught 2 people who have done this. Laura had been put off Maths by her school in Year 11 so only did AS Maths in Year 12. She then came back to loving Maths during Year 12 and decided to take on A2 Maths and all of FM, along with A2 English Literature in Year 13. She got an A in both of Maths and FM (and English). This was in 2009, before A*s were invented. She would have got an A* in Maths since she got 191 across C3 and C4. Her life was quite hectic since she had 2 lesoons to speed-learn C4 integration before needing it in FP2. We had organised the order of teaching FP2 to leave the integration as late as possible. She went to Bath to do a Maths degree.

Lucy had set out on AS Maths, Physics, Art and .....(I can't remember what). She didn't get on with Physics (the subject or the teacher...?) and decided to do A2 Maths, all of FM and A2 Art in Year 12. She got a safe A in Maths and FM (and Art I expect) and went off to do Art I think.

So it is completely possible and not only that you CAN do well! I have to go back to my college and argue my case (I was at it for 2.5 hours this morning). Can i ask is there any advice you can give me!?!
Original post by JPencil
So it is completely possible and not only that you CAN do well! I have to go back to my college and argue my case (I was at it for 2.5 hours this morning). Can i ask is there any advice you can give me!?!

You need to be very organised. Both girls colour-coded their notes and homework so that they knew which module was which. As I said, we thought carefully about the order in which the Pure was taught. We taught all of A level Maths to the FM students in their first year then FP1-3 plus 3 of M2, M3, S2 and D1 in the second year.
I'm talking Edexcel. So Laura did C3 with an ordinary A2 class (also taught by me). As soon as they had done the trig and differentiation, I spent a couple of free lessons doing C4 integration with her and another girl who was doing AS FM including FP2. They then could cope with the integration bits of FP2 when they came round.
Laura had done S1 in the first year, so did S2 with her Maths class. She did M1 with the first year FM class, who did it ready for the January exams (when they existed). She then joined a different A2 Maths class to do M2. D1 was done in a few half hour sessions with a different teacher.
This was at a Sixth Form college with a lot of different groups, which is why we were able to cobble it together and have her in lessons for most of the work.
She was never behind with her homework, although she did have one or two wobbly moments and a few tears occasionally when it was all building up.

I wasn't as involved with Lucy, just teaching her FP1-3. She got through a lot of bananas each day!
I've just remembered that Lucy went to S2 lessons alongside S1, because she had done M1 in AS Maths. It seemed to work out OK.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JPencil

Yes I know people who have done it, so with the right work ethic it can be done!
Reply 17
Original post by tiny hobbit
You need to be very organised. Both girls colour-coded their notes and homework so that they knew which module was which. As I said, we thought carefully about the order in which the Pure was taught. We taught all of A level Maths to the FM students in their first year then FP1-3 plus 3 of M2, M3, S2 and D1 in the second year.
I'm talking Edexcel. So Laura did C3 with an ordinary A2 class (also taught by me). As soon as they had done the trig and differentiation, I spent a couple of free lessons doing C4 integration with her and another girl who was doing AS FM including FP2. They then could cope with the integration bits of FP2 when they came round.
Laura had done S1 in the first year, so did S2 with her Maths class. She did M1 with the first year FM class, who did it ready for the January exams (when they existed). She then joined a different A2 Maths class to do M2. D1 was done in a few half hour sessions with a different teacher.
This was at a Sixth Form college with a lot of different groups, which is why we were able to cobble it together and have her in lessons for most of the work.
She was never behind with her homework, although she did have one or two wobbly moments and a few tears occasionally when it was all building up.

I wasn't as involved with Lucy, just teaching her FP1-3. She got through a lot of bananas each day!
I've just remembered that Lucy went to S2 lessons alongside S1, because she had done M1 in AS Maths. It seemed to work out OK.

Thanks for the advice! Organisation shouldn't be too much of a problem, i have plenty of folders and dividers from AS Psychology :smile: I don't think my teacher will take the time to sort out teaching orders, i don't go to a very well established college :/ Can I ask what topics i should nail down before i go back (I have a lot of free time)
Reply 18
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I wouldn't say natural talent is required; I am extremely far from talented at maths and managed it.

Could you PM me tips and things you wish you known before you started please :smile: Also what topics do you think i should nail before i start my second year??
Reply 19
Original post by JPencil
That was the other option, get taught AS and teach myself A2 as an external student, which I am considering. I can get all the text books from the College and i am going to finish every question in every text book plus all the past papers. I can't believe they said "no one can do it"

Yeah, that's perfect. You don't necessarily even need to do every question (I used to change to one in two or one in three if pressed for time), but that's basically the right idea - just practice until you are happy with applying the techniques.

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending