The Student Room Group

A Level or BTEC with B, C and D?

Should my brother take A Levels or BTEC? His results weren't amazing. He got 3 B's, 5 C's and 2 D's. He said he wouldn't mind doing A Levels but what if he doesn't do well at all? Isn't it better to do BTEC which doesn't require you to do exams, so there is a higher chance of him getting distinctions? Then he can maybe get into a good uni.
Could you also recommend what courses he should do, if he were to do BTEC?
And the main question is, in your opinion, can a person do A Levels and get good grades with those GSCE results?
Original post by Primer
Should my brother take A Levels or BTEC? His results weren't amazing. He got 3 B's, 5 C's and 2 D's. He said he wouldn't mind doing A Levels but what if he doesn't do well at all? Isn't it better to do BTEC which doesn't require you to do exams, so there is a higher chance of him getting distinctions? Then he can maybe get into a good uni.
Could you also recommend what courses he should do, if he were to do BTEC?
And the main question is, in your opinion, can a person do A Levels and get good grades with those GSCE results?

I would say he can still take A Levels as long as he has got at least a C in both English and Maths. It all really depends on the subjects he wants to take as some A Levels are 50% Coursework 50% Exam where most courses are 100% Exam.

If your brother didn't get C's in both English and Maths and he wants to do A levels, then he might struggle a bit. I'm not saying he will but to take 4 A levels and GCSE English/Maths again might be to much, that's of course if he hasn't passed them.

I mean I didn't get fantastic GCSE results (6 C's and 5 B's) yet the college I'm going to has allowed me to study Law, Psychology, Media and Film. So it is possible, you would have to speak to the college themselves as certain A level courses require certain grades (For example Law you need at least one B in English Language, English Literature, RS or History)

Then again it all really depends on what you brother feels most comfortable with. If he likes taking exams and feels like he would be able to cope then let him do A Levels. However if he feels better doing 100% coursework and or alongside work placements then BTEC/Vocational would be ideal for him.

I couldn't recommend any courses as such for him to do BTEC wise as different college's offer different courses. I would say if he were to take a BTEC course then it should be something he will enjoy and something involved with or linked to a career path he wants to take.

In my opinion I would say your brother can still do A Levels and yes he has a chance of getting good grades if he puts the work into it just like anybody else.
If the college he has applied for lets him onto the course with his GCSE grades then they trust him to get good grades on the course. They won't let him onto the course unless they think he is going to get good grades.
Reply 2
Original post by FrancescaLou
I would say he can still take A Levels as long as he has got at least a C in both English and Maths. It all really depends on the subjects he wants to take as some A Levels are 50% Coursework 50% Exam where most courses are 100% Exam.

If your brother didn't get C's in both English and Maths and he wants to do A levels, then he might struggle a bit. I'm not saying he will but to take 4 A levels and GCSE English/Maths again might be to much, that's of course if he hasn't passed them.

I mean I didn't get fantastic GCSE results (6 C's and 5 B's) yet the college I'm going to has allowed me to study Law, Psychology, Media and Film. So it is possible, you would have to speak to the college themselves as certain A level courses require certain grades (For example Law you need at least one B in English Language, English Literature, RS or History)

Then again it all really depends on what you brother feels most comfortable with. If he likes taking exams and feels like he would be able to cope then let him do A Levels. However if he feels better doing 100% coursework and or alongside work placements then BTEC/Vocational would be ideal for him.

I couldn't recommend any courses as such for him to do BTEC wise as different college's offer different courses. I would say if he were to take a BTEC course then it should be something he will enjoy and something involved with or linked to a career path he wants to take.

In my opinion I would say your brother can still do A Levels and yes he has a chance of getting good grades if he puts the work into it just like anybody else.
If the college he has applied for lets him onto the course with his GCSE grades then they trust him to get good grades on the course. They won't let him onto the course unless they think he is going to get good grades.

That makes sense. I'll ask him what he prefers, exams or coursework. And he got C in math and B in English. It is better to do A Levels though right?
Original post by Primer
That makes sense. I'll ask him what he prefers, exams or coursework. And he got C in math and B in English. It is better to do A Levels though right?

If he wants to go to University then I would say so yes however you can still go to university with BTEC/Vocational qualifications it's just very limited.

While talking to him it might be a good idea to also see what career or career path he wants to head down as this will help with choosing his A Levels or BTEC course.

In a way knowing what Career or path he wants to take will allow your brother to look at Universities, even though it's slightly early. In doing this he can then base the course he wants to do at Uni on his A Level choices if that makes sense as most course online inform you of what A Levels they would like or possibly UCAS.
Reply 4
Original post by FrancescaLou
If he wants to go to University then I would say so yes however you can still go to university with BTEC/Vocational qualifications it's just very limited.

While talking to him it might be a good idea to also see what career or career path he wants to head down as this will help with choosing his A Levels or BTEC course.

In a way knowing what Career or path he wants to take will allow your brother to look at Universities, even though it's slightly early. In doing this he can then base the course he wants to do at Uni on his A Level choices if that makes sense as most course online inform you of what A Levels they would like or possibly UCAS.

That's another problem too. Like many people at his stage, he doesn't know what he wants to do.
But thank you for your advice. Appreciate it.

Quick Reply

Latest