The Student Room Group

Would you date someone with a mental illness?

Scroll to see replies

I would never rule anyone out purely based on the fact that they had a mental illness, but it depends how serious it was.

But then, if you fall for them, you fall for them so you accept them for who they are and everything that entails.

Original post by kandykissesxox
realistically no.

Why not (out of interest)?

Original post by SmallTownGirl
Plenty of people with severe mental health problems are interesting and funny and have hobbies and opinions. We're not stupid.

To answer your question OP, it would never be a blanket 'no' but it would depend on how their condition(s) impacted my own mental health. I have pretty intense and difficult friendships and I would need someone who could cope with my own complicated issues and emotional responses.

However, I find that the people who say they would (who haven't had mental health problems themselves or long-term experience of a close friend or family member having them) tend to be lying. Even if they don't realise it. People either see 'I have mental health problems' as 'I get a bit sad sometimes and I like things to be tidy' or 'I'm going to chop you up in your sleep with an axe'. Neither of these statements apply the vast majority of people diagnosed with mental illness. Also, people (mostly men) seem to think they can 'fix' you and when you don't get better through their efforts they decide you're choosing to be ill and make you feel like **** before saying they don't want to talk to you anymore.

+1
No.
Reply 22
personally, i would rather be with someone who has mental illness over someone who don't.

i think its just because they more vulnerable than others, therefore i can take care of them. but thats just my freaky self so idk about others really :biggrin:
Reply 23
Already did - it didn't help that we both have mental health illnesses. So if I were to go into a relationship with somebody who had a mental illness, or illnesses then they'd have to be super special!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PusE
So if I were to go into a relationship with somebody who had a mental illness, or illnesses then they'd have to be super special!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is that a pun?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Law-Hopeful
I would never rule anyone out purely based on the fact that they had a mental illness, but it depends how serious it was.

But then, if you fall for them, you fall for them so you accept them for who they are and everything that entails.

Why not (out of interest)?

+1

It would break my heart having to watch them go through what they're going through. I wouldn't know what to do, I don't think I could deal with that. Also if we had children, I wouldn't personally want them to grow up in a that environment because it's discomforting.
Curious here. But what about someone who suffers from Anorexia but has managed to get to a healthy weight? Would you take the risk, knowing that relapse rates are quite high?
It would break my heart having to watch them go through what they're going through. I wouldn't know what to do, I don't think I could deal with that. Also if we had children, I wouldn't personally want them to grow up in a that environment because it's discomforting.

Fair enough :h:
it wouldn't be a major factor, no. Less than ideal though
Yep, no quarrels.
Original post by AristoBrat!
unless there's like-mindedness or interesting conversation I couldn't feel connected enough to date the person. That point also stands for someone that doesn't suffer from a mental illness though.

So you're impyling that the mentally ill aren't intelligent enough for you to connect with? We're people. We have thoughts, opinions and talents, just like anyone else you find attractive. The only issue is managing our emotions and reactions to situations etc. (all depending on the type of illness). I have clinical depression and anxiety, and am well known amongst my friends for being smart. The idea that somebody is defined by their mental illness is insanely ableist, lmao.

If somebody is able to manage their illness via use of medication and/or therapy, and doesn't behave in a way that's harmful to you, they are just as capable of the intelligence you seek in partner.
Original post by The Socktor
Yep, no quarrels.

Thank you, based The Socktor. We're dateable!
Anxiety isn't an issue.

Yes, it really is. It all runs on a spectrum, but anxiety is not inferior to something like bipolar for example. It has the ability to really screw someone's life around, and can impair their daily interactions down to the nearest syllable.
Original post by ammmauk
personally, i would rather be with someone who has mental illness over someone who don't.

i think its just because they more vulnerable than others, therefore i can take care of them. but thats just my freaky self so idk about others really :biggrin:

Ayy, lmao. As someone with a mental illness, that post caused tears to be shed.
Original post by TurgidMeniscus
So you're impyling that the mentally ill aren't intelligent enough for you to connect with? We're people. We have thoughts, opinions and talents, just like anyone else you find attractive. The only issue is managing our emotions and reactions to situations etc. (all depending on the type of illness). I have clinical depression and anxiety, and am well known amongst my friends for being smart. The idea that somebody is defined by their mental illness is insanely ableist, lmao.

If somebody is able to manage their illness via use of medication and/or therapy, and doesn't behave in a way that's harmful to you, they are just as capable of the intelligence you seek in partner.

Original post by TurgidMeniscus
Thank you, based The Socktor. We're dateable!

THANK YOU! This is the reason I wrote what I wrote. I wanted you to comment on that, OP. :biggrin: As long as you're a good, kind, confident, and aren't harming anyone, you're good to go and anyone will be lucky to have you. :smile:

Spoiler

It would depend on how debilitating the illness was. If it significantly interfered with the relationship/would be relationship I wouldn't.
That said, some things like autism can only have a mild impact and in some cases beneficial, so in that scenario I'd be like "why not?"
No. I've seen what it can do to some peoples' relationships and I'm not willing to go through that.
NO
I personally would. I believe mental illness can make a person stronger, and in that respect it can be beneficial. Having suffered years of Anorexia, by most of the comments on this post, it appears that I'm undateable! But that's just why I would find it easier with someone with mental health difficulties, because they too would understand the stigma. So in that respect we would have something in common! :smile:
Yes as long as they are or willing to get the help and treatment they need.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending