The Student Room Group

HELP! What university courses should I CHOOSE?

Hi everyone,

I am now at the stage of writing my personal statement and applying to universities.

I study Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Economics and Chemistry. I did Mathematics a year early therefore I finished A2 Maths when I did AS F.Maths, Economics and Chemistry. Planning to drop Economics. Achieved: A* for maths, A for Chemistry, B for economics and B for Further Mathematics.

I have decided to apply to
- Warwick University- MORSE degree
- Southampton University- MORSE degree.

The problem is what else I should apply to? Can you guys give me any suggestions, even better is all of your opinion? (i dont mind stupid ideas too, lol)

THANKS!
Reply 1
Have a look on thecompleteguide and unistats, both give guide lines on the best unis for the subject you want to do
Reply 2
Original post by Student6000
Hi everyone,

I am now at the stage of writing my personal statement and applying to universities.

I study Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Economics and Chemistry. I did Mathematics a year early therefore I finished A2 Maths when I did AS F.Maths, Economics and Chemistry. Planning to drop Economics. Achieved: A* for maths, A for Chemistry, B for economics and B for Further Mathematics.

I have decided to apply to
- Warwick University- MORSE degree
- Southampton University- MORSE degree.

The problem is what else I should apply to? Can you guys give me any suggestions, even better is all of your opinion? (i dont mind stupid ideas too, lol)

THANKS!

Be careful!

If you drop Economics, then presumably you're only going to be sitting 2 A2 subjects in Year 13 - FM and Chemistry - and some unis may not be happy with you only doing the workload of 2 subjects in your final year.

I would suggest you contact a few unis and see if they would be happy with what you're proposing :smile:
Original post by davros
Be careful!

If you drop Economics, then presumably you're only going to be sitting 2 A2 subjects in Year 13 - FM and Chemistry - and some unis may not be happy with you only doing the workload of 2 subjects in your final year.

I would suggest you contact a few unis and see if they would be happy with what you're proposing :smile:

Never thought of that. Thanks!
Reply 4
Well what is it about MORSE that makes you want to do it? There are lots of degrees with similar stuff up and down the country just they won't be MORSE.
Original post by qno2
Well what is it about MORSE that makes you want to do it? There are lots of degrees with similar stuff up and down the country just they won't be MORSE.

I like the idea that MORSE offers a variety of modules, not just one subject. And your also able to choose modules that want that is not included in the degree.

What other courses is similar to MORSE?
Reply 6
Original post by Student6000
I like the idea that MORSE offers a variety of modules, not just one subject. And your also able to choose modules that want that is not included in the degree.

What other courses is similar to MORSE?

So Warwick's MORSE course has 4 areas of specialization; broadly actuarial maths, operational research, econometrics and statistics. You will probably be hard pressed to find a degree which incorporates all 4 of these areas of study to a sufficient level as both OR and econometrics tend to be brief introductions to the subjects in final year modules. There are quite a few degrees which will offer the basic core maths and statistics of our age with a solid chunk of actuarial science on the side. Another option could be a degree in maths and statistics as they will probably have enough common applications to finance related things.

Quick Reply

Latest