The Student Room Group

I am a past GCSE student. I am willing to offer help to current GCSE students.

Ask away.

I can help both C grade and A* grade students, and I am willing to share my experience (what I did right and what I did wrong) with you. :smile: I thought this would be better and less intimidating than making one behemoth of a thread in which I write so many paragraphs that it becomes boring. However, I will include an FAQ (frequently asked questions) section if it becomes necessary.

I took my GCSE exams in the summer of this year, and I will enter Sixth Form in September. Therefore, I may be slightly busy, but I hope to answer all of the questions posed. Hopefully, this thread will give me a good opportunity to practice my written communication skills for next year.

I took:

English Literature (AQA)
English Language (AQA)
Mathematics (Edexcel)
iGCSE Further Mathematics (AQA)
Biology (AQA)
Chemistry (AQA)
Physics (AQA)
French (AQA)
Classics (OCR)
Religious Studies B (Philosophy and Ethics) (OCR)
Geography (Edexcel)
Music (Edexcel).
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I now feel foolish for making this thread at 11:33 pm, especially when most students would be asleep at this time.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by flibber
I now feel foolish for making this thread at 11:33 pm, when most students would be asleep.

Although we're not on the same exam board for English, how would you give advice about the new GCSEs for English? How can I remember about each character and each theme for each book/novel/play that we do..
Reply 3
Original post by danielwinstanley
Although we're not on the same exam board for English, how would you give advice about the new GCSEs for English? How can I remember about each character and each theme for each book/novel/play that we do..

Which texts will you be studying, and what year are you in currently?

I took exams under the old GCSE system, so I know little about the differences between the old and new systems other than the fact that the grading system has changed.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Advice on science, maths and especially English. Revision tips would be really great.

Original post by flibber
Which texts will you be studying, and what year are you in currently?

I took exams under the old GCSE system, so I know little about the differences between the old and new systems other than the fact that the grading system has changed.

Going into year 10 in a couple of days and this year will be studying Macbeth and An Inspector Calls - don't know about year 11
Reply 6
Original post by Edosawr
Advice on science, maths and especially English. Revision tips would be really great.

That'll take time, so I hope to answer that tomorrow.
Reply 7
Original post by danielwinstanley
Going into year 10 in a couple of days and this year will be studying Macbeth and An Inspector Calls - don't know about year 11

Which exam board is this?
Original post by flibber
Which exam board is this?

WJEC
Reply 9
Original post by flibber
That'll take time, so I hope to answer that tomorrow.

Thanks so much, what did you get in your GCSEs if you don't mind me asking?
what did u get on your gcse's? It's essential when giving adivice :/
Reply 11
Original post by Edosawr
Thanks so much, what did you get in your GCSEs if you don't mind me asking?

Original post by 
what did u get on your gcse's? It's essential when giving adivice :/

11 A*s, 1 A^ and 1 A.
Original post by flibber
11 a*s, 1 a^ and 1 a.

not really in a place to give advice with only 11a*'s then are you?
wtf is an A^ ?
Original post by flibber
11 A*s, 1 A^ and 1 A.
Reply 14
i am starting year 12 this year and i am going to do A Levels and i will be retaking my english GCSE, will i have to do it on the old or new system??
Reply 15
Original post by 

Original post by vis break
wtf is an A^ ?

A^ means A star with distinction, with is a unique grade given by AQA for only iGCSE Further Maths, so you can say that I have 12 A*s when you include that A^.
Reply 16
Original post by 

why not???
Original post by flibber
a^ means a star with distinction, with is a unique grade given by aqa for only igcse further maths, so you can say that i have 12 a*s.

not really in a place to offer advice with only 12a*'s then are you? I would expect a minimum of 14
Reply 18
Original post by 
not really in a place to offer advice with only 12a*'s then are you? I would expect a minimum of 14

I didn't take 14 GCSEs anyway.

If you believe that I'm disqualified to offer advice, then I do know of somebody on here who does have 14 A*s in his GCSEs, and I could get him to offer advice to you instead.

P.S. There's another one who has 17 A*s in his GCSEs.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by raghad.
i am starting year 12 this year and i am going to do A Levels and i will be retaking my english GCSE, will i have to do it on the old or new system??

Is it English Language? If so, I think you can resit in November 2015 under the old system. The first exams under the new series are from June 2017.

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/english/gcse

Quick Reply

Latest