The Student Room Group

Medicine courses in Europe - a warning

Lots of people start professional courses in Europe (medicine, dentistry, vet etc) with the idea that they can just do one year overseas and this will get them into a Uni here. Or they think it'll all be much easier than it is and forget about the reality of living in a different country, culture and language, and then want to swap back here for that reason.

It wont happen. UK med/vet/dent schools don't allow 'transfers in' and they also wont allow a year 1 restart using your overseas grades to make-up for weak original A levels.

If you start a medicine degree overseas - that's it. Thats your one chance gone.

So PLEASE think very carefully before you do it!
Original post by returnmigrant
Lots of people start professional courses in Europe (medicine, dentistry, vet etc) with the idea that they can just do one year overseas and this will get them into a Uni here. Or they think it'll all be much easier than it is and forget about the reality of living in a different country, culture and language, and then want to swap back here for that reason.

It wont happen. UK med/vet/dent schools don't allow 'transfers in' and they also wont allow a year 1 restart using your overseas grades to make-up for weak original A levels.

If you start a medicine degree overseas - that's it. Thats your one chance gone.

So PLEASE think very carefully before you do it!

I knew that most UK universities accept students from Azerbaijan in condition that they have completed 2 years of university studies back home. But I later found out that it was not the case with medicine. UK univerities are overselective about medicine. They don't even give a chance who did not manage to do A levels or IB. They don't give you a chance to show that you actually have an academic potential to study medicine. That is why I'd probably never be able to do MBBS over there. BUT there's always a chance for postgrad :wink:
Bump.
Thanks :smile: What do you think of applying to Irish medical schools?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending