The Student Room Group

I can't find a job!

I've been looking for work for a year (no joke!). I've never been employed (I'm 19) although I have done many jobs myself (makeup/photography)- thinking that this is a major issue. I've been applying for numerous jobs (all that I would be able to do), never had an interview and it's starting to get me down. Any tips or is anyone else going through the same thing?
Reply 1
it took me a while to get a job too, but i've found loads of my friends look at just like part-time work in their town centre in shops or something and i'm pretty sure they're overrun by applicants so i'd push the boat out and look for something unusual such as being a secretary, doing admin work for someone if you're decent w/ computers, call centres, working in kennels or local shops that aren't so big
just keep your eyes peeled for really random places to work that most people wouldn't apply for
i would suggest trying to find a job you think you'd enjoy but be creative, i've had 2 previous jobs that i quit because i hated them so much and now i work in the security industry and i love it and i never thought it would

when you get an interview, they usually ask the same things like:
1) positive traits? respond with stuff like "i'm outgoing, a perfectionist, i have a tendency to make friends with everyone (so good customer service), i love working with people but am capable of working independently"
2) negative traits? respond with stuff like "i'm stubborn because i'm a bit of a perfectionist and i hate it when things aren't done properly" cos ur sorta turning it into a positive
3) in a retail job they'll probs ask when you've experienced good customers service, just make something up before they won't know
4) what traits do you think an employee should have (or along those lines)? respond with "team work, self-confidence and ability to work alone, be able to communicate clearly with other members of your team and customers"

might be because of your CV as to why you don't have a job, literally just lie and/or milk the **** out of everything, in my CV it says im outgoing and kind when really i'm pretty anti-social and would rather stay in my bed, and a lot of things annoy me but once you're hired and you actually do the job they won't remember or care anyways, add in at the bottom what experience you might have had, like work experience in yr 10, even stuff like looking after a younger sibling and communicating with their teachers, things you've done for school (clubs, or say you organised a small get-together club with your friends even if you didn't), add in that time you might've helped a family member when you ere like 9 and just make it seem bigger than it was or if you did a sport or something and relate it to how it helps you int he work environment e.g. team work, communication, organisation, and remember references! try to do a teacher or volunteer work you've potentially done, and a family friend

i can't really think of anything else but feel free to inbox me if you have any more questions
Original post by Swoy
it took me a while to get a job too, but i've found loads of my friends look at just like part-time work in their town centre in shops or something and i'm pretty sure they're overrun by applicants so i'd push the boat out and look for something unusual such as being a secretary, doing admin work for someone if you're decent w/ computers, call centres, working in kennels or local shops that aren't so big
just keep your eyes peeled for really random places to work that most people wouldn't apply for
i would suggest trying to find a job you think you'd enjoy but be creative, i've had 2 previous jobs that i quit because i hated them so much and now i work in the security industry and i love it and i never thought it would

when you get an interview, they usually ask the same things like:
1) positive traits? respond with stuff like "i'm outgoing, a perfectionist, i have a tendency to make friends with everyone (so good customer service), i love working with people but am capable of working independently"
2) negative traits? respond with stuff like "i'm stubborn because i'm a bit of a perfectionist and i hate it when things aren't done properly" cos ur sorta turning it into a positive
3) in a retail job they'll probs ask when you've experienced good customers service, just make something up before they won't know
4) what traits do you think an employee should have (or along those lines)? respond with "team work, self-confidence and ability to work alone, be able to communicate clearly with other members of your team and customers"

might be because of your CV as to why you don't have a job, literally just lie and/or milk the **** out of everything, in my CV it says im outgoing and kind when really i'm pretty anti-social and would rather stay in my bed, and a lot of things annoy me but once you're hired and you actually do the job they won't remember or care anyways, add in at the bottom what experience you might have had, like work experience in yr 10, even stuff like looking after a younger sibling and communicating with their teachers, things you've done for school (clubs, or say you organised a small get-together club with your friends even if you didn't), add in that time you might've helped a family member when you ere like 9 and just make it seem bigger than it was or if you did a sport or something and relate it to how it helps you int he work environment e.g. team work, communication, organisation, and remember references! try to do a teacher or volunteer work you've potentially done, and a family friend

i can't really think of anything else but feel free to inbox me if you have any more questions

Thank you so much- you have no idea how much this has helped me. Thanks for taking the time to post this. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending