The Student Room Group

How to run a house whilst studying Midwifery

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice please. I start university next year to study Midwifery but run a house on my own. I don't have the option to move in with my parents as it's complicated and they live far away. I went to an open day and they said I can get up to around £10,000 a year in student finance and a £5000 grant from the NHS to support my living however this still wouldn't be enough. Is it possible to work part time around your placement? If so, does anyone know how your placement works (how many days per week) and could I potentially get a part time job in the same hospital as a care assistant or something to help bump up my income? I'm currently in a full time office role so I'm comfortable but of course when I start uni, I won't be able to stay in the same job and it's worrying me about finances :frown:
Thank you in advance
Reply 1
Also, sorry - can you choose the days you complete your hours on?
Reply 2
Original post by ior1975
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice please. I start university next year to study Midwifery but run a house on my own. I don't have the option to move in with my parents as it's complicated and they live far away. I went to an open day and they said I can get up to around £10,000 a year in student finance and a £5000 grant from the NHS to support my living however this still wouldn't be enough. Is it possible to work part time around your placement? If so, does anyone know how your placement works (how many days per week) and could I potentially get a part time job in the same hospital as a care assistant or something to help bump up my income? I'm currently in a full time office role so I'm comfortable but of course when I start uni, I won't be able to stay in the same job and it's worrying me about finances :frown:
Thank you in advance

Yes, you can get a job alongside your midwifery degree - 0 hours contract as a nursing assistant/healthcare assistant or midwifery support worker, also in retail or bar work is what student nurses and midwives tend to do to help with finances.

Original post by ior1975
Also, sorry - can you choose the days you complete your hours on?

As in university theory/placement hours? No.
If the university says they expect you in lectures on certain days/times, that's when you're expected to complete those theory hours.
As for placement, you can't just go randomly choosing the hours you want to do. You need to adhere to shift times, work with mentors, and get a "range of clinical experience" which includes early mornings, late finishes, nights, long days, weekdays and weekends. You'll find that you'll get given a rota that accommodates a range of shifts, including working with mentors so they can assess you. Most placements will be lenient if you go to them with a genuine reason why you can't do a shift but offer an alternative shift you can do, but you can't just go changing all shifts.
Reply 3
Original post by ior1975
Thank you in advance

I will echo what Emily said in her response in post #3.

I have worked in retail alongside a midwife degree for 3 year's but I was in a good position with already working full-time work with retailing and had good managers at both stores I worked in.
I went from working full-time 5 days a week in retailing to working part-time with retailing throughout my midwife degree. I didn't work during the weekdays while I was attending university studying blocks as only worked weekends only. When I was on my placement blocks weeks I was able to work around my placement hours/day's and shifts because I was given my rota for shifts etc for the month in advance so it was easy to arrange my retailing job hours around this.

Depending on your current job you are doing - do they work at weekends or is it Monday to Friday you current employer work......if they work over the weekend then you can easily ask if you can do the weekend instead part-time. If you can't work with your current job at weekends then find something that can accommodate you when you are doing placements and you do need good managers to assist in this.

You can always apply for a HCA/ auxiliary position part-time or eventually put your name down for Bank nursing as this is more suitable for most student nurses and midwives.

You'll probably be working 3 days doing a 12.5/13 hours shift with weekends and Nightshift as well as day shift on maternity wards with 4 days off. Unfortunately you can't chose your days as you'll be rotated to work certain days and shifts over the week.
Community placements are different as generally Monday to Friday with day off in the week and free weekends.

A NHS registered midwife.
Rally useful relies here people, thank you all. I am just hopping in looking for answers as I am looking to change career but need the certainty on a million and one questions before I make the jump! Placements were one area I was worried about as I have young children, husband and home, and no other help around - just nursery/wrap around care - and wondered if it was possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending