The Student Room Group

Best bank account for students

I am looking to open a student bank account, but as my Mum and Dad have previously managed my previous accounts, everything is completely new to me and I need lecturing. I don't know what I should look out for and what bank offers the best account for students. I currently have an account with Natwest.

Also whilst at uni I want to open a savings account to save money for when I finish uni, however yet again I need help to find good bank accounts with good rates as I do not understand most of the terminology being used.
few students save money at university,most have debts. You'll find this website a good source of advice http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/Student-bank-account
Reply 2
Original post by parentlurker
few students save money at university,most have debts. You'll find this website a good source of advice http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/Student-bank-account

I am one of those few, believe me
For a really good savings account, why not open an ISA? I've had it the past couple of years at uni to put in some of my savings earned at summer jobs!

They're a great way for tax-free savings. There's a limit of what you can put in each year, I think at the moment its £15,000. Once you've put that much into the account, they say you have 'fully subscribed' to the ISA and then you can't put anymore into it.

You can also only subscribe to one ISA each tax year. Look around for a good ISA, and get one of those for your savings :smile:

As for the student account, I'm with HSBC and have never had any problems with them. But it's really down to what you want to choose. Any of the major banks will be good, they all have different perks so it just depends on which perk you prefer.
Reply 4
I've gone with the HSBC current account as their "student offers" seemed quite good, especially as you earn interest when you're in credit. (though not sure if this is offered by others, I haven't looked)
I was warned off Santander as most people I know who banked with them had very bad experiences - maybe it was just our local branch, but it was still enough to put me off.

As for a savings account, I have a Nationwide saver's that's been open since I was a wee young lass and I intend to keep it as they have great customer service.
I would say Santander for the railcard , I have been with barclays for the last 5 years and I managed to upgrade my account to student account , I won`t be getting anything extra apart from the the overdraft which I am not going to use anyway .
However , I can still get a free Kaspersky internet security for 3 computers for being a barclays customer , I also get get up to 6% cashback on hotels and holidays , a contactless debit card , a phone app and a saving account with it`s own card .
I won`t complain about it :smile: .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending