The Student Room Group

Would this adversely affect my application?

I am going to start Year 13 this week, having sat Maths(AS&A2), Physics(AS) and Chemistry(AS). I am hoping to apply to a top uni (Oxbridge, Warwick, Imperial etc.) to study Mathematics. However, last year I didn't enjoy Chemistry nor is it relevant to Mathematics. Would my application be at a disadvantage if I drop Chemistry? Considering I will have to sit 8 exams next year (2 for Physics and 6 for Further Maths) and I will only come out with 2 grades next year, so would my A Level Maths grade that I obtained this year count as part of the offer? Would you recommend that I should consider self-teaching myself AS Additional Further Maths?
Any help will be appreciated :biggrin:
Original post by AnonymousAspirant
I am going to start Year 13 this week, having sat Maths(AS&A2), Physics(AS) and Chemistry(AS). I am hoping to apply to a top uni (Oxbridge, Warwick, Imperial etc.) to study Mathematics. However, last year I didn't enjoy Chemistry nor is it relevant to Mathematics. Would my application be at a disadvantage if I drop Chemistry? Considering I will have to sit 8 exams next year (2 for Physics and 6 for Further Maths) and I will only come out with 2 grades next year, so would my A Level Maths grade that I obtained this year count as part of the offer? Would you recommend that I should consider self-teaching myself AS Additional Further Maths?

I think it's fine. I wouldn't say Chemistry is entirely irrelevant to Maths but I don't think they'd be too bothered. If you get an offer, they will take into account the A2 you already took, e.g. if their standard offer is A*A*A and you already have an A* in Mathematics, your offer would be A*A in Further Mathematics and Physics. I guess you could self-teach AS AFM if you think you can handle the workload, you don't have to though.
Reply 2

You need to be a bit careful.

My understanding is that most 'top' unis would like to see you doing the equivalent of 3 A levels' workload in year 13 (plus whatever entrance tests may be relevant - e.g. MAT or STEP). Trying to get away with just sitting 2 A2's worth of exams may not put you in a good light!

I suggest you check with a few of your intended unis before doing anything you might regret :smile:
Original post by davros
You need to be a bit careful.

My understanding is that most 'top' unis would like to see you doing the equivalent of 3 A levels' workload in year 13 (plus whatever entrance tests may be relevant - e.g. MAT or STEP). Trying to get away with just sitting 2 A2's worth of exams may not put you in a good light!

I suggest you check with a few of your intended unis before doing anything you might regret :smile:

Yeah that's what I was worried about, I'll still be doing 8 exams but not 3A2s. This is why I was asking if it'll be worth self teaching myself AS Additional Further Maths so I have a bit more exams and a bit more pressure as unis seem to like that.

Normally I would wholeheartedly say if you hate it drop it, but it's Oxbridge... You are very much going to need 3 A2's. A lot of Oxbridge applications are from people with 4 and even more A2's, so you would at a serious disadvantage of you dropped chemistry. If you really have trouble with it, I would say enquire about doing an AS and A2 subject all the in the one year. It can be difficult, but I know a guy who did an AS and A2 exam in the one year and came out with an extremely high A. It's a lot of work though...
Overall, you really need a third. You can have outstanding 2A* in both but it's still going to be seen as lesser, as you wouldn't have had the pressure of a third subject (though to me that's craps lol, two would still be difficult).
I know your pain, I hated chemistry and changed on the first day of AS because I decided I wouldn't force myself to continue it and I chose a subject I loved (and thankfully it was the right choice).
Good luck, I wanted to apply for Cambridge but I didn't have the guts for an interview haha! :P
Original post by jburnside615
Normally I would wholeheartedly say if you hate it drop it, but it's Oxbridge... You are very much going to need 3 A2's. A lot of Oxbridge applications are from people with 4 and even more A2's, so you would at a serious disadvantage of you dropped chemistry. If you really have trouble with it, I would say enquire about doing an AS and A2 subject all the in the one year. It can be difficult, but I know a guy who did an AS and A2 exam in the one year and came out with an extremely high A. It's a lot of work though...
Overall, you really need a third. You can have outstanding 2A* in both but it's still going to be seen as lesser, as you wouldn't have had the pressure of a third subject (though to me that's craps lol, two would still be difficult).
I know your pain, I hated chemistry and changed on the first day of AS because I decided I wouldn't force myself to continue it and I chose a subject I loved (and thankfully it was the right choice).
Good luck, I wanted to apply for Cambridge but I didn't have the guts for an interview haha! :P

Yeah I guess you're right I mean at the end of the year i would have 4AS and 3A2 but i wouldn't have had the pressure they would like me to have in my final year, which is why I was thinking of self teaching a few modules of Maths, so I have to sit more exams and I come out with an extra qualification. I just thought that if I'm applying for Maths, they'd prefer if I dropped Chemistry and read a bit more in-depth in Maths, outside of the A Level curriculum.
Yeah I guess you're right I mean at the end of the year i would have 4AS and 3A2 but i wouldn't have had the pressure they would like me to have in my final year, which is why I was thinking of self teaching a few modules of Maths, so I have to sit more exams and I come out with an extra qualification. I just thought that if I'm applying for Maths, they'd prefer if I dropped Chemistry and read a bit more in-depth in Maths, outside of the A Level curriculum.

4AS's? I don't know if I'm misunderstanding but you only have an A2 when you do the A2 (You completed the AS but it is added to make your A2 e.g. If you do 4 AS's, then drop one and do 3 subjects to A2 you come out with 3 A2's and an AS level. If you kept it in to A2 you don't count both an AS and an A2. Irrelevant but just to clear it up if that's what you meant by 4AS's...
Plus, self teaching is a FABULOUS way to show them you're a good student. Especially if it's your own subject, shows your love for it I'd do that definitely! It'll set you above many others.
Original post by jburnside615
4AS's? I don't know if I'm misunderstanding but you only have an A2 when you do the A2 (You completed the AS but it is added to make your A2 e.g. If you do 4 AS's, then drop one and do 3 subjects to A2 you come out with 3 A2's and an AS level. If you kept it in to A2 you don't count both an AS and an A2. Irrelevant but just to clear it up if that's what you meant by 4AS's...
Plus, self teaching is a FABULOUS way to show them you're a good student. Especially if it's your own subject, shows your love for it I'd do that definitely! It'll set you above many others.

Yeah thats what I meant haha, so 3A2s and 1AS. Yeah ill consider self teaching AS Additional Further Maths, as at least ill enjoy it compared to A2 Chemistry

Quick Reply

Latest