The Student Room Group

Regretting my Insurance Choice

I got the firm uni that I want, but now I’m fairly certain I've *******sed my A-levels and won’t make the grades. I picked my insurance Uni on a whim and, looking back now, made a really *****y decision. Is it possible to go back to a uni offer I rejected and ask if I can have it back? (ie switch my insurance) For reference, I made York my Insurance when I really wish I had put Glasgow, and I applied to study English. Im really panicked over this right now ngl and want to see if theres any route i can take (emailing, calling etc) to avoid clearing. Thanks.
Original post by s0rrel
I got the firm uni that I want, but now I’m fairly certain I've *******sed my A-levels and won’t make the grades. I picked my insurance Uni on a whim and, looking back now, made a really *****y decision. Is it possible to go back to a uni offer I rejected and ask if I can have it back? (ie switch my insurance) For reference, I made York my Insurance when I really wish I had put Glasgow, and I applied to study English. Im really panicked over this right now ngl and want to see if theres any route i can take (emailing, calling etc) to avoid clearing. Thanks.

I don't believe you can change your choices after the 2 week "cooling off" period. However I'd note that English tends to be an undersusbcribed course that is often in clearing, so in your specific case you might not be as adversely affected by it.

Also out of curiosity, why don't you want to go to York specifically for English?
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
I don't believe you can change your choices after the 2 week "cooling off" period. However I'd note that English tends to be an undersusbcribed course that is often in clearing, so in your specific case you might not be as adversely affected by it.

Also out of curiosity, why don't you want to go to York specifically for English?

Thanks for the note on English Lit being undersubscribed, that gives me some hope.

I don't not want to go to York specifically, I just a bare minimum of research when choosing and it turns out I much prefer glasgow for a bunch of (fairly superficial but impactful to me) reasons. I haven't visited either uni so i kind of only have vibes to go off and all my belated research has really turned me off it. I initially put York as my insurance because it's rated very well for my course, but it just doesn't seem right for me at all.
Original post by s0rrel
Thanks for the note on English Lit being undersubscribed, that gives me some hope.

I don't not want to go to York specifically, I just a bare minimum of research when choosing and it turns out I much prefer glasgow for a bunch of (fairly superficial but impactful to me) reasons. I haven't visited either uni so i kind of only have vibes to go off and all my belated research has really turned me off it. I initially put York as my insurance because it's rated very well for my course, but it just doesn't seem right for me at all.

Yeah, it's good to keep in mind those things :smile:

Unfortunately though I'm not aware of any mechanism to change your insurance if more than 2 weeks have passed after submitting the application other than potentially swapping firm and insurance (which seems definitely not to be what you want to do!). I think your best bet is probably to wait until results day and see what actually happens - if you miss your firm then you can look at self-releasing into clearing and finding another option that better suits you!

@PQ might know if there is some mechanism otherwise for changing your insurance but I don't know of any myself :s-smilie:
Reply 4
All you can do is phone UCAS on Monday and see if there is anything you can do,
Sometimes, Uni will still allow you to shift choices but only UCAS can give you advice about this.
you can change your replies up until mid July if all the universities agree - that includes changing an insurance to a decline and a decline to an insurance.

Give UCAS a ring asap and they'll talk you through what needs to be done

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending