The Student Room Group

M1 or S3

Hi,

I will be going into A2 next year and looking to pick up Further Maths AS alongside A2 Maths.

I will be doing C3,C4 and D1 at A2 Maths

And I will do S2, FP1 and either S3 OR M1

I have no Physics experience really so would be going into it with no prior knowledge, whereas I got 100 UMS in S1 last year, but I heard S3 may be harder than M1, and I would probably have minimal help from teachers and online resources doing S3, but more support in M1.

Any advice on which one to take?

and if anyone has experience doing this kind of workload could you let me know how difficult it was (doing 2 A2's alongside this; Economics and Psychology), I'm not naturally great at Maths just have high work ethic.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ccfctom
Hi,

I will be going into A2 next year and looking to pick up Further Maths AS alongside A2 Maths.

I will be doing C3,C4 and D1 at A2 Maths

And I will do S2, FP1 and either S3 OR M1

I have no Physics experience really so would be going into it with no prior knowledge, whereas I got 100 UMS in S1 last year, but I heard S3 may be harder than M1, and I would probably have minimal help from teachers and online resources doing S3, but more support in M1.

Any advice on which one to take?

and if anyone has experience doing this kind of workload could you let me know how difficult it was (doing 2 A2's alongside this; Economics and Psychology), I'm not naturally great at Maths just have high work ethic.

For Edexcel at least, I think M1 would be the better option. S3 is quite tricky in places, without much support it can be pretty difficult. The exam seems to have been quite weird of late as well.

I picked up AS/A2 Further Maths alongside Maths, Physics and Chemistry at A2. The important thing for Maths is to have a good work ethic, as you've said you have. If the stuff interests you you'll be fine - the modules you're doing were pretty interesting to me, so it didn't feel as long/boring as it should have been.

And don't neglect your other subjects. Even if you're not the type to stick rigidly to timetables, have a rough idea of what you should be done with by when and do a bit of revision on different topics just to see how much you remember.
I believe taking M1 would be easier even without a lot of physics knowledge because S3 is a larger jump from previous modules than M1 is.
I found M1 to be very easy.
Knowledge of GCSE physics / GCSE Additional/Further maths will get you through.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
M1 is extremely easy, especially as you sound like a smart guy. If that's the only factor in your decision, definitely M1 over S3.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending