The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Ron Stoppable
... but have you not seen the size of Craig & de Burca? :eek:

Haha, I didn't buy that one deliberately because it was massive and more expensive. Everyone else seems to have it though.

Clarkson & Keating is worse...but that is criminal.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 181
Oh god... law textbooks... I forgot about those. Time to start saving...
Reply 182
danfel

Yeah that's actually something that doesnt really get warned about...it certainly took me by surprise!

Depending on your tastes, you need to set aside around £200...
Reply 183
Thanks for the heads up. I'm working at the minute so I'm thinking of putting my last few months' worth of pay aside to fund the essentials... books, new suit, society membership fees, office for mac... :frown:
Ron Stoppable
... but have you not seen the size of Craig & de Burca? :eek:

I am going to sound nerdy, but I quite like De Burca ... In my opinion a fantastic book!
danfel
Thanks for the heads up. I'm working at the minute so I'm thinking of putting my last few months' worth of pay aside to fund the essentials... books, new suit, society membership fees, office for mac... :frown:

danfel,
I will send you a list of books that you will need and are the best ones.
I wouldn't buy the recommended stuff ... especially contract!!
They recommend dire books for contract.

I also am hoping to be the Master of Moots at the Bar Society .... fingers crossed ...
Reply 186
Lord Hysteria
danfel,

I also am hoping to be the Master of Moots at the Bar Society .... fingers crossed ...

Oh I love the contract book. I think it's perfect...enough detail without being too wordy.
And I mean, it's listed as essential reading so how do you get away with not reading it?!

Oh, and remember editions will most likely change...don't get old books!!
k89g
Oh I love the contract book. I think it's perfect...enough detail without being too wordy.
And I mean, it's listed as essential reading so how do you get away with not reading it?!

Oh, and remember editions will most likely change...don't get old books!!

Non-sense, it is ****!!! Sorry to be blunt – but that is what I think.
I advice this Book "Contract Law - Mindy Chen-Wishart".

danfel - when you read the recommended one it is purely the bones of the law. I mean it doesn't even mention some of the important points of dissenting judgments. It, unlike my book, doesn’t have a structure which you can adopt to understand law. It is difficult to say this, but Mindy Chen-Wishart teaches you to appreciate the law together as opposed to separate modules within contract – this makes your understanding so much better as in real life – and exam questions – nothing is EVER simple or in neat categories but rather loads of different bits of law and Mindy Chen-Wishart’s book helps you understand how to use the law.
I know, it’s a bit abstract, but also she goes into a lot of depth and makes you appreciate why the law is the way it is by considering the history and the case details.

She also has great diagrams – like flow charts – so you know how the law ‘thinks’ ...
Also, it makes your mooting life soooooooooo much better. She picks cases to pieces and gives you an insight as to what the judges said and sometimes why ....
In a moot, you will stand out ... that is why I like contract law moots!

Our recommended one is literally the bare bones .... nothing more! so don't buy it or any of the recommended books ... I promise to send you a list!
You can hold me to that - but you can't enfore our agreement in a court ... why?? you'll have to go to Kings to find out :smile:

EDIT - Contrary to what you might think now, I am not Mindy Chen-Wishart's PR man!!!
Reply 188
Lord Hysteria

You can hold me to that - but you can't enfore our agreement in a court ... why?? you'll have to go to Kings to find out :smile:

heh heh heh :p: thanks! I will look into getting my hands on that book... I'm actually looking forward to contract the most. I've read a little bit about it and it sounds really interesting.
Reply 189
Lord Hysteria
danfel,

Hey, please can you send me this list too? :biggrin:

It's annoying, at Oxford they said we wouldn't have to really buy any books, as they had all of the books in the library, available on long term loan, and as there were only upto ~9 people in each college reading law, there wouldn't have been a problem with availability of the books.

And when I was at QM they said you only had to spend around £80 on books, so do you think that figure is too optimistic?
danfel
heh heh heh :p: thanks! I will look into getting my hands on that book... I'm actually looking forward to contract the most. I've read a little bit about it and it sounds really interesting.

danfel,
I am glad the pressure is building.

It is an awesome book - I also recommend actually reading some important cases .. you may enjoy it. I am going to sound like a super nerd - but I did.

I am just discussing a case on contract law on the TSR Bar Society page - feel free to comment. :smile: :smile:

Yes - I do have a social life too. But I enjoy what I study!

You might enjoy EU?? Unfortunately it has a negative stigma but I think its cool stuff!!

How is the illness?? :smile:
pcok
Hey, please can you send me this list too? :biggrin:

It's annoying, at Oxford they said we wouldn't have to really buy any books, as they had all of the books in the library, available on long term loan, and as there were only upto ~9 people in each college reading law, there wouldn't have been a problem with availability of the books.

And when I was at QM they said you only had to spend around £80 on books, so do you think that figure is too optimistic?

Yes - jealous pants ... :smile:
I might upload them in fact.

Congrats on Man U's recent success - my brother is a Liverpool supporter (he would pick Liverpool over his family - nah I am joking of course - but he is that much - and he is only 11 !! )!

Are you going to Oxford? Bastard you get to meet Mindy Wishart !!! I am like her # 1 FAN!!!! aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh !!!

My books cost me over £200 - but becuase I bought the recommended ones!!

At Oxford, it shouldn't be a prob ...
Reply 192
Lord Hysteria
danfel,
I am glad the pressure is building.

It is an awesome book - I also recommend actually reading some important cases .. you may enjoy it. I am going to sound like a super nerd - but I did.

I am just discussing a case on contract law on the TSR Bar Society page - feel free to comment. :smile: :smile:

Yes - I do have a social life too. But I enjoy what I study!

You might enjoy EU?? Unfortunately it has a negative stigma but I think its cool stuff!!

How is the illness?? :smile:

The illness is terrible at the moment... honestly I feel as though my throat has totally closed up. Which is why I am perpetually online. I'm not usually this sedentary!

I haven't read much about EU other than a brief allusion when I was looking into family and Evans v UK... I used to use the law library at work in my free time but then I got promoted and suddenly I had no time any more :p: such a shame. I'll definitely check out your recommended books though. I need some mental stimulation at the moment - feels as though I've been off work for about a million years... my eyes are going square from playing video games :p:
Reply 193
Lord Hysteria
Yes - jealous pants ... :smile:
I might upload them in fact.

Congrats on Man U's recent success - my brother is a Liverpool supporter (he would pick Liverpool over his family - nah I am joking of course - but he is that much - and he is only 11 !! )!

Are you going to Oxford? Bastard you get to meet Mindy Wishart !!! I am like her # 1 FAN!!!! aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh !!!

My books cost me over £200 - but becuase I bought the recommended ones!!

At Oxford, it shouldn't be a prob ...

Thanks about Man U...we're doing amazing at the moment! I have a £50 bet that we will win the Premiership, with an Arsenal supporter lol.

No I'm not going to Oxford unfortunately; it was during the interview period that they said this, but I guess it's because they have a library per college (as well as a main one), and so as there are only a few students reading Law per college, they can afford to provide books for all of them. I'm off to King's, and I doubt that is the case there!

Wow, over £200!! Did you get all of these before your course started? Or did you find you kept having to buy books throughout the year? I think my nan said she will buy my books for me :biggrin: but she doesn't know how much it is going to cost yet lol, so she may change her mind!
Reply 194
Lord Hysteria
superb.
Is it LLB?
You can ask me questions about the program, as I am on it - well something like the LLB.
LM101 < --- is my course.

...Actually, I was wondering whether ALL first-years regardless of which particular stream they're in - Law, Law with French, etc. - take the same courses in first year.

If so, do first-years get to choose their courses in first year based on which prof is teaching it? I'm sure there are some good profs, and others still great profs, which you could recommend to the incoming cohort.
Reply 195
danfel

For the love of *** do we actually have to do some reading before the course officially begins? :confused:
Reply 196
jrbvs
...Actually, I was wondering whether ALL first-years regardless of which particular stream they're in - Law, Law with French, etc. - take the same courses in first year.

If so, do first-years get to choose their courses in first year based on which prof is teaching it? I'm sure there are some good profs, and others still great profs, which you could recommend to the incoming cohort.

Everyone takes the same but Anglo-German course students don't take European (I think Anglo-French do). Anglo-German though take at least one that the rest of us don't, as do (I think) the French (although their's may just be a language course).

All 'normal' first years take straight Contract, European, Criminal and Public and those lectures are for the entire year taking them so you don't get different professors teaching different students. The tutorials/seminars however obviosuly are taught by different people (the professors themselves tend to take a couple of groups) and no, you don't get a choice.

As for the great professors? They varies dramatically according to opinion :p: But personally, Richard Hooley was the best out of the 3 for contract; Andrea Biondi (that's a given for most people :wink: ) for European; and Keith Ewing for Public. Criminal is by vast majority taught by Alan Norrie who I personally love though many people don't. He tends to go off on a tangent sometimes which I find interesting (it is always relevant) and he is a bit of a criminal law genius.

But they are all pretty much great. Though the one I couldn't stand was Karen Yeong who possibly gave the most terrible Public lectures on judicial review in the world...
Reply 197
jrbvs
For the love of *** do we actually have to do some reading before the course officially begins? :confused:

lol! I didn't...but then I had taken law at A-level so kinda knew what was going on.
k89g
Everyone takes the same but Anglo-German course students don't take European (I think Anglo-French do). Anglo-German though take at least one that the rest of us don't, as do (I think) the French (although their's may just be a language course).

Yes - Anglo/French students do French Civil Law, above the 4 others which k89g has done superbly.

Yes - everyone has to do the compulsary 4 modules otherwise.
Reply 199
Recommended books:

Criminal: Smith & Hogan, of which there'll be a new edition for 2008.
Contract: Treitel, no question about it.
EU: Stuck with Craig and DeBurca, which has awful paper quality, along with a horrible two-tone green layout!
Public: Bradley & Ewing seems to cover the basics, but Public Law (the journal) is quite useful for wider reading.

To be honest it isn't worth buying any books yet though. As you may find that you need to purchase certain books, which certain tutors use, and so you may not want to have to buy too many. Also, with new editions most don't come out until Sept.(ish) to tie in with new terms.

I bought all my books on Amazon, or Hammicks online, meaning I didn't have to lug any about, and with Hammicks they have 10% off for those few weeks (to attract students) as do Waterstones and various other places.

Lord Hysteria: Master of the Moots (!). You seen the problem for the final, the judicial review one? I'll forward it on to you if you want.

Latest