The Student Room Group

Lowest UKCAT used in Southampton

Okay, I got 762.5 on my UKCAT yesterday, plus Band 1. I'm considering Southampton Medicine and was wondering, realistically, how far up I would be ranked. Someone told me the lowest they interviewed last year was 720, but I can't find any actual facts about their UKCAT cut offs (except 2500 as a minimum).

From their website: Applicants are ranked by UKCAT score and a certain number are invited to a Selection Day, provided they meet our academic criteria

If the UKCAT is being ranked, with 762.5 what percentage would I be in? Top 50%, top 40%?

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
Hahah, minimum 720 you are joking right?!
With 762.5 you will easily be in the higher percentile groups.
A UKCAT score of 700+ is easily a very competitive score for any UKCAT medical school
Reply 2
Original post by cmfunk
Hahah, minimum 720 you are joking right?!
With 762.5 you will easily be in the higher percentile groups.
A UKCAT score of 700+ is easily a very competitive score for any UKCAT medical school

thanks, its really hard with all this hearsay from other people, i did think it sounded a tad ridiculous - i wish southampton would publish data on the average accepted / interviewed candidate's UKCAT score
Reply 3
Original post by Gezza_O'Brien
Okay so obviously you did freaking amazing in your UKCAT and bloody congratulations like effing hell that's amazing! I've only just decided to pursue my dream and go for medicine this year and have only booked the UKCAT today (its booked for the 6th October). Obviously im sooo far behind and I was wondering if you had any revision tips or any good books you could recommend? Im like sooo panicking right now because I know im bound to do crap because im so under prepared and have like no one to turn to, but I feel like I'd regret it if I don't at least give it a go you know? Any help would be amazing

you have over a month to prepare, you're gonna be so totally fine :smile: i had like two weeks (one week i was doing work experience 9-5 as well)

medify and the kaplan ukcat book are all you need. do the kaplan chapters, then the 2 kaplan mocks in the book, then medify questions and do all 3 medify mocks and all 3 ukcat mocks. i did 8 mocks in total and i did a mock everyday in the week leading up to my exam.

unfortunately, the test is just more suited to some people, i had to do less prep than some of my friends who scored lower. however, dont let this put you off and try to do the best you can do - your mocks will give you an indication of what score you should aim for

i only got over 700 on two of my mocks, (710 and 745) so my final score was a lovely shock
Original post by dancinglove
you have over a month to prepare, you're gonna be so totally fine :smile: i had like two weeks (one week i was doing work experience 9-5 as well)

medify and the kaplan ukcat book are all you need. do the kaplan chapters, then the 2 kaplan mocks in the book, then medify questions and do all 3 medify mocks and all 3 ukcat mocks. i did 8 mocks in total and i did a mock everyday in the week leading up to my exam.

unfortunately, the test is just more suited to some people, i had to do less prep than some of my friends who scored lower. however, dont let this put you off and try to do the best you can do - your mocks will give you an indication of what score you should aim for

i only got over 700 on two of my mocks, (710 and 745) so my final score was a lovely shock

Okay thank you so much, definitely going to buying these books, and well done!
Reply 5
Original post by dancinglove
Okay, I got 762.5 on my UKCAT yesterday, plus Band 1. I'm considering Southampton Medicine and was wondering, realistically, how far up I would be ranked. Someone told me the lowest they interviewed last year was 720, but I can't find any actual facts about their UKCAT cut offs (except 2500 as a minimum).

From their website: Applicants are ranked by UKCAT score and a certain number are invited to a Selection Day, provided they meet our academic criteria

If the UKCAT is being ranked, with 762.5 what percentage would I be in? Top 50%, top 40%?

Thanks in advance

I got the same UKCAT score (3050 overall) and asked about cut-offs for the graduate course at the Southampton open day, which was over the weekend. The admissions officer told me the usual things about not being able to set the cut-off until they have their scores etc., but said my score was very strong and was likely to get an interview.

I can't see anything on the uni's website now, apart from saying they don't tell you the cut-off, but I seem to remember something recent suggesting that the approximate lowest score that got invited to interview was 3000 (! - this is for BM4), but lower last year due to UKCAT scores being lower (meaning it was around 2800 last year). They told me that fewer people applied last year, thinking they would not make the cut-off.

Anyway, I was really impressed with Southampton and will be giving it a go I think!
Yup I'm in roughly the same situation as you guys with 3060 (765 average). I will be applying as I love the university and think I stand a good chance of interview!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending