The Student Room Group

Stigma against year 12 retakes?

(edited 6 years ago)
Part of growing up is realising that it doesn't matter what anybody else thinks, you are just going to do what's right for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Reaver Daniels
Doesn't everyone really care about what people think of them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly, most people won't give a cupcake about you, and neither should you care about what they thnk as it will just put you down.

It depends on the sixth form: some contains people that are full of themselves and will look down on them some don't.
Original post by Reaver Daniels
Doesn't everyone really care about what people think of them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No not really. Also this is the first time I've heard people worried about having a stigma attached to retakes
I remember when I was in year 12 (last year) I was just like, damn, how badly did that girl do in order to retake her year. Hundreds of people retake every year, and of course people will find out about it and probably make a smug comment, but they don't know you or how it happened so they're in no place to judge you. You'll soon and quickly grow to ignore the opinion of other's and focus on yourself.

And then it happened to me, and I retook. I felt so embarrassed that people would be moving on without me and I'd be stuck with girls who were younger than me. But if I'm being completely honest, it was the best decision I've made in terms of education. I could have carried on like a sheep to year 13 despite not being satisfied with my grades and suck it up if I got crap uni offers, or I could have (which i did) retaken my year and get my grades up to scratch, which I have this year :u:

You've got to learn that at the end of the day, you'll be the one who is stuck with yourself so instead of thinking of yourself as "the person who got bad grades and retook", think of yourself as "the person who retook because they knew they could do better, and deserved better in terms of future prospects".

Good luck :h:
A new girl who retook year 12 at my school was actually very snobby about it.

Lets say we're in a biology lesson. "Ooh ooh I know this, this is so easy, I've done this already"

Or let's say people are worried about a mock , she'd say, "well I already know how to revise because I won't make the same mistakes again, but everyone else will fail"

Don't be like her. But also don't care if they look at you differently because you retake. At least theyll know that a levels are fricken hard compared to gcse.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
The only stigma you should really worry about is the one the university attaches to retakes - for example LSE will straight out reject you if you're a retake.

I was a retake, I experienced no stigma, heck I wasn't even ashamed stuff just has to go that way sometimes you know, and stigma is irrelevant to your life; get your grades and go uni that's the sole purpose of sixth form/college.

Quick Reply

Latest