The Student Room Group

Manchester 2016 applicants medicine

Scroll to see replies

Can we save and come back to edit the non-academic form (like the ucas form) or do you have to do it in one go?
Original post by shooting_stars
Can we save and come back to edit the non-academic form (like the ucas form) or do you have to do it in one go?

You have to do it in one go, but you could save it in word or something :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
If I just talk about my involvement in a youth movement for 5 years and running a summer camp with a team of 16, can that be enough for that teamwork section? Or do I need more? Is it quality rather than quantity?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HCAssistant93
If I just talk about my involvement in a youth movement for 5 years and running a summer camp with a team of 16, can that be enough for that teamwork section? Or do I need more? Is it quality rather than quantity?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That should be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JulietR
Ooh okay when did you go to the open day?

Posted from TSR Mobile

10th October :smile:
Their selection process is as follows:

Initial screening for the predicted grades (them 3 A's) , then rank applicants in order of ukcat.

From this they take the top 1000----- then look at the non academic form, deduct 100-200 applicants.

Interview the remaining lot by MMI. If lucky enough to get an interview it'll be between the 5th and 8th of jan or 12th and 15th of jan (three half day sessions available in february and march)

An offer if you're blessed

-last year they interviewed 850 and gave 500 offers to 300 places (this is not a typo)

-cat cut off last year was 2506, no clue what it might be this year tbh

-I've spoken to admissions officers and they don't look at AS and they think the PS is a weak indicator of an applicants personality as there so easy to copy hence their own refined PS (non academic form).
(edited 8 years ago)
You're making me panic! I sumbmitted the FOI form and I see you all taking your time! I just did like a summary (well and explanation) on a fomal but relaxed way of the topics.... It took me about 30 min :s-smilie:
Original post by macarenafc92
You're making me panic! I sumbmitted the FOI form and I see you all taking your time! I just did like a summary (well and explanation) on a fomal but relaxed way of the topics.... It took me about 30 min :s-smilie:

Don't panic. It will be fine. Some people overthink it (like me) whilst some are fine with it. I personally have completed my FOI but I just can't bring myself to upload it! :P Honestly, as long as you have answered all the questions they asked from the PDF file you should be more than fine. Most of applicants are cut off via their UKCAT score so as long as you're above the cut off for that I think you should get an interview.
Original post by Immunology
Don't panic. It will be fine. Some people overthink it (like me) whilst some are fine with it. I personally have completed my FOI but I just can't bring myself to upload it! :P Honestly, as long as you have answered all the questions they asked from the PDF file you should be more than fine. Most of applicants are cut off via their UKCAT score so as long as you're above the cut off for that I think you should get an interview.

PDF file?????? Now the panic is real.

I think I'll be fine UKCAT wise
PDF file?????? Now the panic is real.

I think I'll be fine UKCAT wise

I'm so sorry lmao. I didn't mean to panic you. The PDF file was just an additional file that had the questions on. It had the exact same questions as the one on the application form. Do you get where I'm coming from?
I'm so sorry lmao. I didn't mean to panic you. The PDF file was just an additional file that had the questions on. It had the exact same questions as the one on the application form. Do you get where I'm coming from?

As long as they are the same ones that appear on the FOI form I am fine....If not.... bye bye medicine this year :frown: Unless my BMAT is good and Cambridge gives me chance
As long as they are the same ones that appear on the FOI form I am fine....If not.... bye bye medicine this year :frown: Unless my BMAT is good and Cambridge gives me chance

Yes. They are the same ones that appear on the FOI. Try not to worry about it! You've done all that you can. Stressful times I know but you'll be getting your interview in a couple of weeks I'm hoping :smile:
Yes. They are the same ones that appear on the FOI. Try not to worry about it! You've done all that you can. Stressful times I know but you'll be getting your interview in a couple of weeks I'm hoping :smile:

The grandma is getting there! hahahahaha Honesytly, nothing to do with my first application
Original post by DoctorPles
Their selection process is as follows:

Initial screening for the predicted grades (them 3 A's) , then rank applicants in order of ukcat.

From this they take the top 1000----- then look at the non academic form, deduct 100-200 applicants.

Interview the remaining lot by MMI. If lucky enough to get an interview it'll be between the 5th and 8th of jan or 12th and 15th of jan (three half day sessions available in february and march)

An offer if you're blessed

-last year they interviewed 850 and gave 500 offers to 300 places (this is not a typo)

-cat cut off last year was 2506, no clue what it might be this year tbh

-I've spoken to admissions officers and they don't look at AS and they think the PS is a weak indicator of an applicants personality as there so easy to copy hence their own refined PS (non academic form).

are they still taking the top 1000 this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How long on average do you think it took you to complete the form?
Original post by ScarletRose
How long on average do you think it took you to complete the form?

A day? Maybe 2. I did mine in a day, all 4 questions, but it took me around 8 hours because I was busy at the same time and I did a couple of days of editing.
Original post by JulietR
are they still taking the top 1000 this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what i was told when i rung them up a couple days before the deadline
Original post by DoctorPles
That's what i was told when i rung them up a couple days before the deadline

Aah okay so is that how they decide the cut-off?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JulietR
Aah okay so is that how they decide the cut-off?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They decide the cut off from looking at the entire cohort of applicants. They release the cut off score in november i think
I'm really stuck on the caring role part, I've got 700 characters and i feel i'm waffling. Just talked about what i do at my local care home and generally what i've learnt.

Can anyone give me some pointers please?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending