The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Night life at York university.

Hi I'm wanting to go to York university next year but I've been told the night scene is not all that good I was just wondering how the night life actually is at York university?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Boogyal98
Hi I'm wanting to go to York university next year but I've been told the night scene is not all that good I was just wondering how the night life actually is at York university?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there,

During your first year there are loads of events and socials arranged on campus by your college and there are activities suitable for everyone, whether you enjoy a big night out or a quiet night in.

The City of York itself has a great night scene, with lots of pubs and bars as well as cinemas and theatres: http://www.york.ac.uk/study/student-life/york-yorkshire/nightlife/. The city centre is just a short bus ride away from the university and there are buses back to campus throughout the night.

Hopefully some students will also reply to you with some first-hand experience of the nightlife here in York, but I hope that helps a bit.

Thanks,

Helen
University of York
York
Reply 2
Speaking as an ex-Yorkie (late 80's) and the fact I was up in York last month, I can say: it's got plenty going on.

It's not as hard core as maybe London, but you've got an ancient city (which still looks like it) with over 60 pubs *inside* the city walls of all types. There are nightclubs, places to eat, things to do, places to walk and it's generally a very safe city. Forget the bus (unless you are a lone female) - it's more than walkable (at least to Hes West) and part of the fun of a night in town is the trek home.

Can't answer for the uni now (it's changed a lot in 30 years) but I would imagine there's plenty happening. Some nights will be dead, some will be buzzing.

Sadly, people seem to avoid the town on a Saturday - too many reprobates turning up from other parts of the north and getting hammered down Micklegate until the early hours.

I work in London (at a university) and I would say that York is actually still my favourite city.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending