The Student Room Group

Xtra Curric

Hi there,

I'm also applying for 2008 entry :p:

I am just wondering, I have been doing voluntary work for a long time in combination with Millennium Volunteers & I do have work placements behind me & also this summer which I'm very much looking forward to. So, in terms of knowing how medicine is as a career and knowing a lot about research/medical issues I am fine. GCSEs are fine & AS grades will hopefully be all As too. And ideally with a bit of luck, the BMAT & UKCAT won't be as menacing as I expect them to be.

I've know people applying with awards like young enterprise & duke of edinburgh. People who play musical instruments or for a sports team, are headboy/headgirl or .. bungee jump early on saturday mornings ( not really :p: ).. and I guess, I just feel like i'm kind of lacking in that department.

I'm an insatiable reader though, I read a lot - I particularly devour any decent history I come across. I also am doing extra classes for other computing courses - even though I don't study it at A level, I find it interesting since, from my perspective, computing is absolutely relevant in any field in this day & age.

However, I don't see how any of this will appeal to the medical schools in comparison with all you fantastic people :biggrin:. Just feels like my application will not be as attractive to unis especially when getting an interview since my hobbies differ from most other applicants, which might also give the impression that my ambition in terms of my career is divided - which is a big no no! Although I have the will power, passion & motivation & everything else it takes to study medicine, I don't have this.

Is there anything I can do to change this? Or am I just worrying about something completely irrelevant & should give myself a slap :p:. Uhh.. I've written too many I's!

Whichever it is, cheer me up! :tsr2:

Thanks for any input :smile:
Take up the piano. There are loads of piano teachers around, it's not hard at the start and it's a great way to destress (it actually came up in one of my interviews!) You don't have to take exams if you don't want to - take it up as a leisure activity where you learn the basics and then just play whatever you want to play.

Your hobbies aren't weird - I'm an obsessive reader too and it came up in every single one of my interviews!
Reply 2
I want to learn to play the piano but my dad can't afford it :frown:
Go through your school and ask if there are any music students who are at Grade 7 or so standard and are looking for a bit of extra money. They'll charge you a lot less than a more experienced tutor.
Reply 4
I used to play the piano a long time ago. My parents bought me a piano 2 years ago, unfortunately I live inside these cramped 4 walls of a flat with no real space to keep a massive piano.. so I returned it.. however, I will investigate! Piano reminds me of chariots of fire.. :rolleyes:
There you go! All you need is to get at it again. If you already know how to play then lessons aren't essential. As long as you keep at it you can mention it on your UCAS - say that you play for pleasure. ECs are more about relaxing than they are about achievement!

You should be able to access a piano through church or school or...somewhere else (can't think of anything right now!)
Reply 6
Why don't you be who you are.

If you don't so something, be honest and say so.
Reply 7
Huh? Obviously I'm not gonna lie. I genuinely enjoy what I do with my free time and I find it useful. Some people may do many other things that look great on paper but hate it with a passion and may come out feeling worse off than before.

However, from my experience, that rarely ever is the case and you do enjoy it and you do learn a lot. E.g Playing an instrument is great fun :biggrin:. I sure wouldn't mind doing more things I enjoy which will also help me later on in life. So despite the fact that many factors are necessary to differentiate between the thousands of med candidates, that is by no means the sole reason why I want to do more things. Helping boost your UCAS Application is an added bonus.

So don't fret, I am being myself :p:. Hope that justification made any sense whatsoever. :wink:
I doubt few of us are different, so many of us, they've seen it all before!

Latest

Trending

Trending