The Student Room Group

SFE migrant worker application + based on household income.

Dear Community,

I applied for funding early this year as a migrant worker to get the Maintenance Loan and the Tuition fee. I had to provide details regarding my employment, such as payslips and the P60 form for 2015. I was also asked to provide my mum's financial information I believe (I may be wrong) due to the fact that I applied for the higher amount of the maintenance loan. I am also classified as a dependent student as I don't satisfy the criteria to become an independent one. Oddly, my application and the evidence are still being evaluated. My mum's financial documents, which were translated from Polish as she works there as a teacher, were first rejected so I only sent them an acceptable translation early in August.

Each time I call them they tell me to wait and that they have everything required for the application to be fully assessed. However, there is something that troubles me. Why was I both required to provide my employment details as a migrant worker and my mum's income information? Is it okay that my application is assessed both on the basis of the household income (I live on my own here in England, but due to me being a dependent student, my mum is still taken into account??) and my income as a migrant worker? Or is it that they required me to show payslips only as proof that I am in employment? When I spoke to a Money Adviser at my uni, they were confused and did not understand why they needed my mum's income documents.

Even so, why have I not heard from them regarding the tuition fee payments? Is it all being assessed simultaneously? Something is clearly causing a delay and they are unable to tell me exactly what. I am very concerned as I start my 2nd year in less than a few weeks. Could anyone help or share any experiences you've been through, reminiscent of my situation?

Many thanks,
Floydlip.
Reply 1
Part of your Maintenance Loan and Grant are assessed based on your Mum's income. That's why she had to provide the info.

You are applying as a Migrant Worker, so you had to prove that you were actually working. That's why you had to provide the info.

Unfortunately, only Student Finance will be able to tell you why there is a delay in your application. It could be that they are confirming the info which you and your Mum have provided. We can only speculate. You need to keep phoning them until you reach someone who can give you sensible advice. Not everyone who mans the phones at SF, is necessarily that experienced.
Reply 2
Original post by floydlip
Dear Community,

I applied for funding early this year as a migrant worker to get the Maintenance Loan and the Tuition fee. I had to provide details regarding my employment, such as payslips and the P60 form for 2015. I was also asked to provide my mum's financial information I believe (I may be wrong) due to the fact that I applied for the higher amount of the maintenance loan. I am also classified as a dependent student as I don't satisfy the criteria to become an independent one. Oddly, my application and the evidence are still being evaluated. My mum's financial documents, which were translated from Polish as she works there as a teacher, were first rejected so I only sent them an acceptable translation early in August.

Each time I call them they tell me to wait and that they have everything required for the application to be fully assessed. However, there is something that troubles me. Why was I both required to provide my employment details as a migrant worker and my mum's income information? Is it okay that my application is assessed both on the basis of the household income (I live on my own here in England, but due to me being a dependent student, my mum is still taken into account??) and my income as a migrant worker? Or is it that they required me to show payslips only as proof that I am in employment? When I spoke to a Money Adviser at my uni, they were confused and did not understand why they needed my mum's income documents.

Even so, why have I not heard from them regarding the tuition fee payments? Is it all being assessed simultaneously? Something is clearly causing a delay and they are unable to tell me exactly what. I am very concerned as I start my 2nd year in less than a few weeks. Could anyone help or share any experiences you've been through, reminiscent of my situation?

Many thanks,
Floydlip.

Hi im in the same boat as you.. did student finance sort it out for you or are you still waiting for a decision?
Reply 3
When you apply for the grant, your parent' income is looked at.
Reply 4
Original post by Jay Jay
Hi im in the same boat as you.. did student finance sort it out for you or are you still waiting for a decision?

Yes, thankfully everything ended well. I was assessed as entitled to the maximum amount. There was an issue with my translated documents and that's what had caused the delay.
Reply 5
Yes, thankfully everything ended well. I was assessed as entitled to the maximum amount. There was an issue with my translated documents and that's what had caused the delay.

Oh thats good news! just a question how did you translate your mother payslips and how she sign off the declaration? its just so freaking confusing !

:banghead:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Jay Jay
Oh thats good news! just a question how did you translate your mother payslips and how she sign off the declaration? its just so freaking confusing !

:banghead:

To answer your question, I didn't have her payslips (we don't have them in Poland), however she asked her accountant at work to obtain a certificate of her earnings for the relevant tax period. I suppose depending on which country you come from, any kind of official document supporting your parent's income statement will do. If you're not sure what to do, I suggest you phone them.As for the declaration, she has an online account but due to her not having the National Insurance number she was meant to fill out the paper form.
Reply 7
To answer your question, I didn't have her payslips (we don't have them in Poland), however she asked her accountant at work to obtain a certificate of her earnings for the relevant tax period. I suppose depending on which country you come from, any kind of official document supporting your parent's income statement will do. If you're not sure what to do, I suggest you phone them.As for the declaration, she has an online account but due to her not having the National Insurance number she was meant to fill out the paper form.

Thank you that was really helpful ! and one last question (sorry for bothering you :tongue:) did they ask you to send any sort of I.D from your mother?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending