The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I have only been to Aidan's bar once and I left with a suntan. Man, it is HOT in there.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 21
I've only visited St Aidan's, but I too would have preferred a smaller college.:smile:
fair enough its not the smallest college in the world at around 880 people in total, but its fairly small compared to most hill colleges, and generally its just the right amount of people to get a good mix.

say for example, Chads at a mere 92 freshers, you'd have talked to everyone by the end of freshers week! Aidans have 250 places for freshers and so chances are you'l be meeting new people all year; but unlike, say, Grey, you wont feel lost in your own college bar!

Oh and we're working on the hotness of the bar - just installed a new beer garden patio, heaters and parasols just in time for the ledgendary Aidans beer festival (3rd June)
Does anyone have pictures of accomodation at Aidans? I went to the Open day but I doubt they showed the Ghetto, so that would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Lee
Reply 24
I thought most people who went to the open day were invited to stay in the college for a night for just £28.50, which included a bed, breakest and a courtesy bullet proof vest?
Wez
I thought most people who went to the open day were invited to stay in the college for a night for just £28.50, which included a bed, breakest and a courtesy bullet proof vest?

Lol! I couldn't stay over night because I had an exam on the day that I'd be travelling to Durham.
Reply 26
Ah ok.

I don't have a photo, but the room I had was quite modern, fresh, medium in size and had no notable deficiencies. The bed was comfy, the sink area reasonably sized, a fair bit of storage room and it was relatively light. It was remarkably unremarkable I guess. Does exactly what it says on the tin.
Reply 27
Wez
Ah ok.

I don't have a photo, but the room I had was quite modern, fresh, medium in size and had no notable deficiencies. The bed was comfy, the sink area reasonably sized, a fair bit of storage room and it was relatively light. It was remarkably unremarkable I guess. Does exactly what it says on the tin.

Unremarkable? Think you need to realise the general level of student accomodation - the refurbished rooms in Aidans are amazing compared to what most colleges have. consider yourself lucky.
Compared to most colleges, Aidans is one of the best all round for well sized, well furnished rooms. The "ghetto" is hopefully getting refurbished this summer, so chances are your room will be all nice and stuff!
what you want is to get in on the area in aidans called the new houses (rooms H - Q) because cus they have ensuites as well :biggrin: Just a shame that they're generally occupied by finalist students
Reply 29
God86
Unremarkable? Think you need to realise the general level of student accomodation - the refurbished rooms in Aidans are amazing compared to what most colleges have. consider yourself lucky.

Really?

I can only really compare it to the other rooms I've seen/been in. Aidan's rooms were better than the ones in Exeter and roughly on par with the newish accomodation at Oxford (better than some, worse than others). I quite liked them but they didn't strike me as something special.:smile:
Reply 30
Wez
Really?

I can only really compare it to the other rooms I've seen/been in. Aidan's rooms were better than the ones in Exeter and roughly on par with the newish accomodation at Oxford (better than some, worse than others). I quite liked them but they didn't strike me as something special.:smile:

You have to realise that you will be shown the best rooms in whichever halls/college you look at. 85% of aidans rooms are like the ones you saw (ie. a few years old with nothing wrong with them) whereas other unis (and other colleges) will show you the one block of rooms that have been redone (a small % of their total rooms) and so you will get a bad idea of what the rooms are like. in aidans, therefore, not only are the refurbed rooms very nice (unlikely that you get much better), you are highly likely to get one.

comprendez?
Reply 31
In Oxford I stayed overnight along with hundreds of other people so I didn't see their "best" rooms. But I see your point.
Reply 32
Aidan's accomodation is pretty darn good as far as student accomodation goes, half the accomodation is shared (B and C curve), which makes the curves really sociable, and means you get bigger rooms.

Um... and anyone interested in theatre? We've got a Christmas panto to write... :P

dusk*x

Latest