The Student Room Group

Will KCL accept me for English Lit????? *URGENT*

I just want to know realistically what are my chances of getting into Kings. My AS grades are AAB and I'm hoping to get 3 A's by the end of year 13.

Do I have a shot or am I being completely unrealistic??
If you are studying english at Kings can you let me know what you achieved?

Thanks in advance :smile:
If you write a strong personal statement then I would say you've got a great chance of getting in to Kings. You could get into most unis based off your AS grades and predictions. I would say have at least 1 safer option though.
This sucks because I acheived BBB at AS, though i had an exam grade of A so i was set for an A grade overall. However I acheived a C in my coursework (which was degraded from a high B) which meant my grade was dragged to a B. My predictions (as I have spoken to my teachers) average out at AAA, due to last year I had personal issues and missed a lot of school. I have no idea if i can still get in with these grades, and I am not going to lie, kcl is my first uni choice, so is there any point applying?
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi Joanna5050,

Don't panic! You're AS grades are worthy of merit. Concentrate on writing a strong personal statement and I'm sure they will make you an offer. It's always wise to have a back up plan (I'd recommend having 2 insurance universities in mind), but, again, as long as you write an impressive personal statement, there is no reason why they shouldn't make you an offer.

Just be sure that you achieve your predictions in the summer!

- Currently studying English at King's (A levels: A*AC in English, Psychology, and Maths, respectively.)
Reply 4
Original post by Tom5pence
This sucks because I acheived BBB at AS, though i had an exam grade of A so i was set for an A grade overall. However I acheived a C in my coursework (which was degraded from a high B) which meant my grade was dragged to a B. My predictions (as I have spoken to my teachers) average out at AAA, due to last year I had personal issues and missed a lot of school. I have no idea if i can still get in with these grades, and I am not going to lie, kcl is my first uni choice, so is there any point applying?

Don't worry! I've read loads of success stories where people have gone from BBC at AS to A*AA at A2. IT CAN BE DONE. Maybe see if you can retake your coursework. If Kings is your first choice then go all out for it! If you've had some personal issues then you should tell them that on your application because obviously that may have impacted your grades. But definitely go for it - don't give up. If they don't give you an offer this year and you do achieve AAA then take a gap year and reapply if you are serious about going to kings. Good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by teawithbooks
Hi Joanna5050,

Don't panic! You're AS grades are worthy of merit. Concentrate on writing a strong personal statement and I'm sure they will make you an offer. It's always wise to have a back up plan (I'd recommend having 2 insurance universities in mind), but, again, as long as you write an impressive personal statement, there is no reason why they shouldn't make you an offer.

Just be sure that you achieve your predictions in the summer!

- Currently studying English at King's (A levels: A*AC in English, Psychology, and Maths, respectively.)

Thanks for your reply and all your advice! Are you enjoying Kings? It looks like such an amazing uni - really hoping I get the grades this year. Would you say it's easy to make friends there because my only worry is that being in such a big city it could be a bit lonely. Also how are you finding the course and lecturers? Sorry to bombard you with questions :smile:
Original post by Joanna5050
Thanks for your reply and all your advice! Are you enjoying Kings? It looks like such an amazing uni - really hoping I get the grades this year. Would you say it's easy to make friends there because my only worry is that being in such a big city it could be a bit lonely. Also how are you finding the course and lecturers? Sorry to bombard you with questions :smile:

Although London is a big place, it's full of friendly people. People make friends at their own pace, but there are many opportunities to join societies or go to events where you're bound to make a few within the first month! Make sure to put yourself out there, and you should be fine. (Living in halls makes the process a little easier, but don't be disheartened if you'll be living at home, since there'll still be many opportunities to meet other students).

The course is brilliant, but extremely tough - a lot of reading is required. You'll have to balance your time wisely. There are many great lecturers who are clearly very well informed about the subject they're teaching. Just like any university, there'll be ones you get on with, and ones you won't be so keen on.

The only thing you should be wary of is that King's really leave all the responsibility to you. Whether it's finding out when your induction day is, or having a problem with one of your courses. Help is always at hand (you're assigned a personal tutor from your own course department), but you have to be the one to ask for it. I think it's a great way of preparing you for the adult world.

It also helps that the (Strand) campus is quite charming. :smile:

(And you should never apologise for asking questions! You're an English student, it's your job!)
Hey, don't know if this thread is still active.

I'm applying to King's to study English with AABB, with two full A-Levels already.
I have a full A Level in English Lit at A, and a full A Level in History at B. My AS's were RS at A and Politics at B. I should be on for AAAB with four full A Levels overall, but because I'm home educated I can't get predicted grades. My referee is going to explain the UMS points I got for my AS's, as I was five points off an A for Politics. Do you think they'd still make me an offer, given that I already meet one of their requirments?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending