The Student Room Group

Editing: Should I freelance?

Hi,

I'm currently a university undergraduate about to start my first year of studying my 'English Literature and Creative writing' degree. I am a "wannabe" editor (excuse the slang) and I am also aiming to become an author of sorts. Whether or not the latter will be achievable is still unknown.

Anyway, I've recently had an idea to work as a "freelance editor" -- which is basically me thinking of becoming a content editor for those aged between 15-17 who want to send me creative works (drafts), blogs, coursework (?), to be edited for a relatively cheap rate e.g, £10 per thousand words.

It's just something I would like to do in my spare time (to possibly earn some extra money) and would be something that I enjoy. My question to you would be: is it a good idea?

I have little to no experience, although I often edit my own works of fiction (which I don't think are too badly written, although this is subjective) and have the following qualifications:

- A 'B' in English Language at A level (An 'A' was achieved at AS, including in the creative works unit)

- An 'A' in English Language and an 'A' in English Literature at GCSE (I reveived an A* for several creative works written throughout this course)

- An 'A' in the Extended Project Qualification (EPQ) which is equal to an AS. This involved me writing a 5,000 word essay based on an English subject, comparing works of literature (this was my choice). The piece was edited solely by myself.

- I undertook an 'Advanced Certificate for Spoken English' during my first year of college and received a Merit (B) -- this focused on my written and verbal English skills as well as presentational skills. (Although I'm not a very good public speaker :frown:)

- My A Level results overall were: 'A*, B, B,' and my GCSE results were: eight A's and two B's (unsure if this is fully relevant).

--------

Finally, I have been writing and editing my own work for six years and have a popular and active weblink on an online writing site of which I post my creative works. If you wish to see my works then my username is "Crazy_author231" on a writing site known as 'Wattpad' (it can be accessed by anyone, no sign up neccessary).

To make up for my lack of experience, I would offer to edit the first 200 words or so for free to see if the individual liked my editing style, but I was wondering, am I too unskilled to do this? (I am 18 years of age). I am very organised; good at time keeping and an exceptionally hard worker so I would be very committed, and I also have an eye for detail.

Thanks to anyone who replies (serious answers please)!

-Alicia. :smile:

P.s Apologies for spelling errors, I'm writing on my phone
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending