The Student Room Group

doing a freelance role post-grad?

I hope this is the right place to ask this & i don't sound like an total idiot, but i'm hoping for some advice re: freelancing post-grad?

I graduated about 2 months ago with an English Lit/Film degree and have been hardcore job searching without much success. I came across a position for a freelance administrator for a small fashion related brand and applied (assuming i wouldn't get it tbh). Anyway, I had an interview with the recruiter and they seem enthusiastic about hiring me.

However, the role is about minimum wage and on a part time schedule only. I don't mind the idea of freelance as I'm currently doing a smaller remote freelance gig on the side...but I don't necessarily want to be tied to a long commitment in a role where I'm working long hours, getting not great pay (19k) vs an entry level admin position with a more consistent structure.

My ideal job would be a full time journo/writing related job, but as this isn't very realistic with my experience, my plan was to get a full time admin type job for a year or so, then to work towards finding something more highly paid related to writing/creative stuff in the future. I'm not the most ambitious person but I do want to be able to move out/pay bills sometime in the near future lol. From the interview I had, they seemed to want someone who would stay in the role for an extended period of time.

I guess what I'm asking is whether or not taking this role seems like a massive mistake? I don't want to end up stuck in a really low paid/long hours role instead of spending my time hunting for a potential better role in the future, but my luck has been so bad I'd feel guilty turning down any role I get atm tbh. I've had 30+ interviews and nothing else solid yet.
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending