The Student Room Group

78K miles should i change timing belt myself?

Hi studentroom motorists,

I have a 2002 Polo Which has 78k miles on it. I doesn't seem to have been changed.
I am strapped on cash and was wondering if i can change it myself, I would love to learn but also scared. I do servicing myself but this is a new level.

Or i can wait till it reaches 80K as i have seen loads of varied intervals ranging from 40k-80k.

thanks
Reply 1
If you're confident with doing repairs then it is possible. But you need to get the right equipment to ensure the timing of it all remains right. Its not just taking the belt off and putting the new one on. Timing belt isn't something you want to just leave to be honest.

I'd ring a few different garages and play their prices against each other. Maybe avoid using your car until you can afford it?
Depends if you're likely to do other work. Do you have tools at the moment for example. If you have a reasonable amount of tools and have done a few jobs before like brakes and servicing then I'd watch a youtube video for your engine and see how confident you feel. It's not a job you want to get half way thru and find out you can't complete it for lack of knowledge/tools. A Haynes/Bentley manual is a solid investment too.

If it's a diesel engine on that age Polo there are two specs IIRC. One is at 60k and the other is due for change at 80k. Either way, I'd have it changed sooner rather than later. A snapped belt will ruin your finances, be it repair, new engine/head or new car.
Reply 3
Getting it wrong will destroy the engine, your choice.
Go for it, maybe this will help ...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AhH3CsjHWI... also taking photo's on your phone to look back on if you get stuck could be useful., and good luck.
If you do go for it yourself stick a socket on the crank and rotate the engine TWICE once you have changed the belt.

720 degrees.

If you don't and you got it wrong you'll start the engine and bend valves and smack pistons.
Reply 6
Someone should do it, put it that way.
If you're asking the question then I suspect you probably shouldn't be doing it yourself. I mean that with no disrespect to you, but you're greatest battle will be with your confidence.

It's not overly difficult to do, but the last thing you want to be doing mid-job is questioning whether you've put it all back together correctly. If you want to do it yourself, why not find a mechanic to do the job with you?

Nick
Reply 8
Interference or none interference engine?
If the latter, leave it 'til it snaps.
If the former, someone wants to do it about now. Whether thats you or someone else...
(edited 8 years ago)
Piece of piss if you know how

Nightmare if you don't know how.
Errr no. Don't do it yourself. Stupid idea. Very stupid.
You only do this if you know what you're doing, or under supervision. Failure to correctly complete will basically mean a ****ed engine.

Pay the money.
Reply 11
Original post by Né Stig
Errr no. Don't do it yourself. Stupid idea. Very stupid.
You only do this if you know what you're doing, or under supervision. Failure to correctly complete will basically mean a ****ed engine.

Pay the money.

We all have to start somewhere...

The first job i ever did on a car was a head gasket!
Original post by JC.
We all have to start somewhere...

The first job i ever did on a car was a head gasket!

Yeah, yeah, yeah

You've told TSR so many times that your first ever job on a car was a head gasket , were all like, blah, blah, blah

How many other forums, people have you been bragging too?

Godd grief !
Reply 13
Original post by Happy as punch
Yeah, yeah, yeah

You've told TSR so many times that your first ever job on a car was a head gasket , were all like, blah, blah, blah

How many other forums, people have you been bragging too?

Godd grief !

Bragging? Hardly. It's called encouragement... If a ham fisted oaf like me can build a car from a pile of parts then anyone can.

At the end of the day, a car was put together by a person so it can be disassembled and repaired by another person. My message is this; Be brave, pick up the tools and have a go. You may find it's not as hard or complicated as you first thought it was. :smile:
Original post by JC.
Bragging? Hardly. It's called encouragement... If a ham fisted oaf like me can build a car from a pile of parts then anyone can.

At the end of the day, a car was put together by a person so it can be disassembled and repaired by another person. My message is this; Be brave, pick up the tools and have a go. You may find it's not as hard or complicated as you first thought it was. :smile:

You actually speak sense ( for once) !
Maybe your getting soft in your old age, lol

What the heck is a ham fisted oaf ? Rofl

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending