The Student Room Group

Best Oxford college for law?

Hi!

So, I'm looking to study law at oxford and I'm torn between Balliol, Brasenose and Magdalen. All three seem so well suited for law, have many law professors and provide accommodation for 3 years.

Do any of you know which would be best, from personal experience maybe??

Thanks!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Brasenose, Christ Church and Magdalen all have their own law libraries, I don't think Balliol does :s-smilie:
Original post by antigone-
Brasenose, Christ Church and Magdalen all have their own law libraries, I don't think Balliol does :s-smilie:

Balliol does have (quite a large) Law library
Original post by harina10
Hi!

So, I'm looking to study law at oxford and I'm torn between Balliol, Brasenose and Magdalen. All three seem so well suited for law, have many law professors and provide accommodation for 3 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did 4 years of law at BNC (undergrad + Masters). Can absolutely vouch for it. Lovely tutors, very central accommodation, decent food, and generally a good community atmosphere among the lawyers. Library is decently stocked, and you can request for books if they don't have a copy.

Magdalen is very lovely as well - my law friends seem to have had a happy time there, and the college is gorgeous. They also tend to have a lot of 1 on 1 tutorials (for reference, most tutorials tend to be in pairs or trios), which can be a good or bad thing depending on your preferences! Don't know anyone who did Balliol law personally though.

Is there anything you want to know about in particular? (:
Reply 4
Original post by mishieru07
I did 4 years of law at BNC (undergrad + Masters). Can absolutely vouch for it. Lovely tutors, very central accommodation, decent food, and generally a good community atmosphere among the lawyers. Library is decently stocked, and you can request for books if they don't have a copy.

Magdalen is very lovely as well - my law friends seem to have had a happy time there, and the college is gorgeous. They also tend to have a lot of 1 on 1 tutorials (for reference, most tutorials tend to be in pairs or trios), which can be a good or bad thing depending on your preferences! Don't know anyone who did Balliol law personally though.

Is there anything you want to know about in particular? (:

Thank you - super helpful! Just wondering, what were the factors you looked out for when you were choosing a college? I'm always thinking I'm forgetting to check something! :smile:
Thank you - super helpful! Just wondering, what were the factors you looked out for when you were choosing a college? I'm always thinking I'm forgetting to check something! :smile:

In my school, the tutors actually allocated colleges to applicants to spread out competition. I was told to apply to Jesus College (mostly because a senior in the year above me had gotten in for a different subject really), but got pooled pre-interview to Brasenose. Don't regret it one bit though!

I would say look out for things like location (definitely check where the annexes are - some colleges have annexes that are far away from the main site; I believe Jesus is one of them?), the cohort size (whether you prefer a big group like BNC or a smaller one like Corpus Christi), and any other requirements you may have (eg kitchens for self-catering, whether hall food is pay-as-you-go or you have to eat a certain number of meals in college, odds of getting an en-suite).
Reply 6
Original post by mishieru07
In my school, the tutors actually allocated colleges to applicants to spread out competition. I was told to apply to Jesus College (mostly because a senior in the year above me had gotten in for a different subject really), but got pooled pre-interview to Brasenose. Don't regret it one bit though!

I would say look out for things like location (definitely check where the annexes are - some colleges have annexes that are far away from the main site; I believe Jesus is one of them?), the cohort size (whether you prefer a big group like BNC or a smaller one like Corpus Christi), and any other requirements you may have (eg kitchens for self-catering, whether hall food is pay-as-you-go or you have to eat a certain number of meals in college, odds of getting an en-suite).

That's great! Thank you :smile:
Hi!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've heard good things about the St. Hilda's tutors for Law..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending