The Student Room Group

Help me please!

I want to get into a decent uni such as Warwick, so i've come here to ask what you think of my chances if i achieved AAAac in Maths, Physics, Chemistry + further maths(as) and biology(as) respectively? i'm not doing STEP/AEA and i'm probably in raped state because of my gcse's (2 A's, 3B's, the rest are C's). First of all could i get into a good university for Maths & Stats such as Warwick? they ask ask for (AAA/AAB at A level + grade A or B from 1 AS level) and secondly how popular is this program? i'm interested in applicants to offers ratio (i hope one even exists). And lastly, i've read somewhere that Warwick gives offers to all applicants for Maths. So just to confirm, is this true? And does it apply to the MORSE/Maths & Stats course aswell?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Yes Warwick does give offers to all Maths applicants, however MORSE is not run by the Maths department alone so I'm afraid the giving offers to all applicants does not apply to that programme. I THINK that it does for Maths & Stats but I really couldn't promise.

As for your chances, my GCSE grades weren't all that much better than that, and my AS grades were worse (ABB) so I'd say you have every chance.
Reply 2
Yea you have a chance but not doing AEA or STEP wont help your chances as most people are doing one of the 2 as well as doing a full A level in FM. But i wouldnt say that they will reject you because of that but they may offer you an offer with AEA/STEP.
Also Wawick dont look at GCSE's too much so you shouldnt worry about it too much.
Reply 3
andy5788
Yes Warwick does give offers to all Maths applicants

Not true, there's people on this very forum with Maths rejections from Warwick. I know a few people in the same position.
Reply 4
Thanks for the wealth of replies but i have another concern; where in the application form/UCAS does it show you're doing STEP/AEA?
Reply 5
I think it was other qualifications. On my form I never put them down but I emailed Warwick saying I'd take them if their offer required it.
Reply 6
Not true, there's people on this very forum with Maths rejections from Warwick. I know a few people in the same position.

Really? For courses run by the maths department rather than MORSE etc? Well that's changed since last year. Last year anyone who they thought had a chance at hitting their offer they gave an offer to. Which in practice amounted to like 1100 offers to 100 rejections or something stupid like that.
Reply 7
andy5788
Really? For courses run by the maths department rather than MORSE etc? Well that's changed since last year. Last year anyone who they thought had a chance at hitting their offer they gave an offer to. Which in practice amounted to like 1100 offers to 100 rejections or something stupid like that.

That sounds really weird - I thought this year was the first time they had STEP offers? Must have been easy to get in last year!
Reply 8
Nope, it is the first year the required STEP though. Last year you needed STEP or FM but not both.

From what I can see the offers a fairly similar, except a 2 in STEP or AEA has been appended to them all...
Reply 9
Just to clarify, I was wrong, Maths/Stats is run by the stats department so the standard offer does not apply to that either.

Latest